KGSodie

Exchanging Money In Moscow

110 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
15 minutes? more like 15 seconds. I am more than willing to pay $40 for the ride. That is what they charge for a cab ride minimum to the airport around here. Even if you live 1 mile from the airport, $40 please. Like Mox, I usually only have 1 hour or at most 1 hour 15 minutes to catch my flight to Sochi at SVO1. SVO1 is not a place I want to spend the night after traveling for 18 hours.
For $40 here you got a lot farther than the 1-2 miles it is from SVO1 to SVO2. Last time I rode in a taxi here for 1-2 miles on my employers tab it cost us like $6 and that is in San Francisco. Even an airport shuttle here in San Francisco is $15 covering about a 20 mile range.

http://www.sftravel.com/shutl.html

So I can now conclude you are sucker both at home and abroad :P

As discussed earlier their shared taxis and shuttles work on the clock and there are literally tens if not hundreds of them circling both airport lots. As for why it takes 15 minutes to haggle, if you speak Russian you realize you have to speak to many cabbies, get the price down to regular Russian rates, because after all I got to convince them I am a poor local student from Siberia. By the way, for 20 rubles I got ride on the same shared taxi to the nearest metro station Rechnoy Vakzal from SVO2. It is a good deal, and we were in the car a good hour, because of traffic. See metro map below:

http://www.waytorussia.net/Moscow/MetroMap.html

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SVO1 is not a place I want to spend the night after traveling for 18 hours.

Been there, done that. For people-watching, there's no better place than SVO at 2am. But I sure would have rather caught my flight.

Yea, its much more comfortable when you sleep with your sweetie in your arms! I have sat in SVO1 for 6 hours waiting on a flight, from around 12pm to 6pm, and it is like a madhouse in there. Does it slow down at 2am?

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, I'll pipe in. I must be skilled, good, or lucky. Last year, I paid a taxi 500 rubles from SVO1 to SVO2 and I've also taken the 15 ruble маршрутка too. And I don't speak fluent Russian whatsoever. But did do my negotiating in the best Russian I could. I have sat in SVO2 for 18 hours before. I have no idea how many times I circled the place pushing my little cart around. I finally ended up in a corner sitting on top the cart and the luggage. The longest 2/3 plus of a day ever. :lol:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline
Yea, its much more comfortable when you sleep with your sweetie in your arms! I have sat in SVO1 for 6 hours waiting on a flight, from around 12pm to 6pm, and it is like a madhouse in there. Does it slow down at 2am?

Yeah, SVO1 gets downright eerie at 2am. Everyone's pretty much picked out a place to camp and it gets really cold. Some lady and I arranged our stuff so we managed to grab most of a line of chairs to stretch out on. The guy across from me had lain down across the whole row, and would fart loudly and wetly about every 10 minutes. Just when I'd be drifting off he'd let one go. Other than that it was pretty quiet and kinda dark. And cold. Couldn't hardly feel my feet in the morning. My flight didn't leave until around 8pm the next day so I had not only the whole night to wait, but the whole day too. It was miserable.

Oh, and I had written Nadya's phone number down wrong so she had no idea why I didn't show up, and I was extremely confused when someone else picked up, didn't speak a lick of English, and had no idea who Nadya was. I caught a taxi in Kazan to Yoshkar-Ola, and I had the driver call. They of course had no idea who Nadya was, so I could tell he was thinking that it was another American being scammed. When we got to Yoshkar-Ola he had to drive around for awhile and ask people on the street how to get to her address. Most of them didn't know, so for awhile he was thinking she had given me a bogus address. Even I was starting to get worried at that point. I'd known her for 8 months, but all of a sudden she wasn't at the phone number I had always used for her (I thought) and nobody knew her address. Then someone gave us directions, and we wound up at an abandoned building. I was almost ready to just turn around and go back to Kazan when some guy walked by and gave us the correct directions. I met her for the first time about 15 minutes later.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

40-60 dollars for one mile? i usually pay 150-200 roubles for 10 km in SPb. Were you guys catching cabs on the street or calling a dispatcher? Whenever I've taken a cab to Pulkovo it's usually around 450 roubles i think, and that's calling a dispatcher. Now I hope I never have to fly through Moscow and pay 60$ for 1 mile!! Maybe it just helps being a girl, I don't know.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Timeline
40-60 dollars for one mile? i usually pay 150-200 roubles for 10 km in SPb. Were you guys catching cabs on the street or calling a dispatcher? Whenever I've taken a cab to Pulkovo it's usually around 450 roubles i think, and that's calling a dispatcher. Now I hope I never have to fly through Moscow and pay 60$ for 1 mile!! Maybe it just helps being a girl, I don't know.

When you exit customs at SVO, the first thing that happens is that you are mobbed by taxi drivers. And when I say mobbed...you know the horde of villagers with pitchforks and torches chasing Frankenstein? Yeah, those guys look at the taxi driver mob and say "damn." About 5-6 of them are right up in your face as soon as you come through, and all you can do is wade through. Because I was running late for my flight I only talked (or got talked at, really) to a couple drivers and then that was that. Had I not been pressed for time and still wanted a cab, I'd have ignored them and gone directly outside where I would imagine haggling works a little better. In actuality if I'd have had enough time I would have just figured out where the Aeroflot shuttle was and taken that for free.

If I spoke the language I'm sure I'd have done better. But I'm pretty sure the prices for an American are "fixed," plus "cheapest fare" was not my goal at the time.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I realize I read some of the first posts incorrectly. I've never had to get between SVO1 and SVO2. My only cab rides (other than between Solnechniy and Volgodonsk) have been between SVO2 and the train station (to Rostov), and from SVO2 and Hotel Kosmos.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

When you exit customs at SVO, the first thing that happens is that you are mobbed by taxi drivers. And when I say mobbed...you know the horde of villagers with pitchforks and torches chasing Frankenstein? Yeah, those guys look at the taxi driver mob and say "damn." About 5-6 of them are right up in your face as soon as you come through, and all you can do is wade through. Because I was running late for my flight I only talked (or got talked at, really) to a couple drivers and then that was that. Had I not been pressed for time and still wanted a cab, I'd have ignored them and gone directly outside where I would imagine haggling works a little better. In actuality if I'd have had enough time I would have just figured out where the Aeroflot shuttle was and taken that for free.

If I spoke the language I'm sure I'd have done better. But I'm pretty sure the prices for an American are "fixed," plus "cheapest fare" was not my goal at the time.

i also think it's much harder to be a foreign man in russia in terms of people hassling you, trying to rip you off etc. than a foreign girl.

Первый блин комом.

Its not 1 mile, everyone says it is, but it is actually 3.75 miles. Not that it makes much difference :no: If you grab your bags and brave the take offs / landings by running across the runways, then it is about a mile.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Do you guys think it's possible with the Olympics coming and all that someday Moscow will join the rest of the world and have a modern airport, complete with free shuttle service that leaves straight from the terminal to the other terminal? (Going across the field, not around town?)

Or is it going to always be "it's Russia" and things will have to be done the most expensive and inconvenient way possible?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Do you guys think it's possible with the Olympics coming and all that someday Moscow will join the rest of the world and have a modern airport, complete with free shuttle service that leaves straight from the terminal to the other terminal? (Going across the field, not around town?)

Or is it going to always be "it's Russia" and things will have to be done the most expensive and inconvenient way possible?

I'm keeping my bets with the second statement.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Slim, you just kill me! I can't tell you how many times Natasha would look at me, shrug her shoulders, and say "It is Russia!"

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

That's when you put on your best Viggo Morteson "Easter Promises" face. That's where you do the heavy-lidded disdainful/disinterested look and hope it doesn't come across as looking constipated.

I can't pull that off. Not that I look constipated, I'm just too chubby to look anything but American. Even with a track suit and some loafers, a big gold cross, a flat-top... it doesn't matter. Not even my wife standing next to me helps "the look." Although, she's trying! I'm sure in a few more years I'll be able to seamlessly transition between East and West. Just gotta drop about 15 kilos first. (I already have the track suit and big gold cross, so we're good there.)

In a similar story, I read an email once that said "You know you've been in Korea too long when you think you're starting to look Asian." Just prior to reading that one I had been out with a group of Korean guys and girls and was thinking to myself, "I'll bet when I'm out with these guys, at first glance, nobody can even tell I'm American." Yeah, after that I realized that even with a ballcap and sunglasses, the 60 extra pounds on my frame was a dead giveaway. Well, that and the rhythm. Ever seen Koreans dance?

I should fare slightly better in Russia.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

How was your visit by the way? I don't think we got a trip report from you. There's a fine for that you know. :)

Thanks for asking mox. I had a great visit with my wife but I had one lingering issue...my stomach. It started when I got to SVO1 on the trip in. When I arrived at 6 am my wife met me and we went to her flat. Of course she had breakfast ready for me...a BIG breakfast. I tried to eat but it was a mistake. By evening I was in pain so Nadia called for a nurse to visit me (nice they still have home visits there). An EMT type practitioner arrived and checked me out...then told me i had to go to the hospital. Next thing I know I'm riding in a cold little ambulance and taking a long and bumpy ride to the local hospital. As i sat in the little van I was in a state of disbelief that here i was on my first night in Russia with my wife being taken to a Russian hospital for a stomach ache.

The hospital was pretty bad and there we many homeless men who had gotten drunk and got in a fight...bleeding from various areas of their bodies. I noticed a lack of sterile conditions and saw hospital staff handling bloody bandages without gloves. Wow! I wanted to leave asap. But I was committed and a nurse comes along and pricks my finger for blood and gives we a little glass bottle for a urine sample...without a lid! The staff started talking among themselves and my wife told me later that they didn't want to send me to the patients bathroom as it was too funky for a VIP American guest...so they ended up unlocking the staff bathroom and letting me use it. I would have hated to see the patient bathroom as the staff one was pretty nasty.

After a short time a young doctor shows up and talks to me in passable English. He tells me I seem to be ok but suffering from "gastric distress." He orders some meds and sends me on my way...free of charge! Wow...something free in Russia. I think they felt it was enough to have an American visit the hospital...a real novelty The staff is probably still talking about me. My stomach SLOWLY got better but I never felt a 100% well. I think it might be stress related because once i got home to the USA it magically went away.

The visit was good for me and Nadia because I lived as a Russian lives...not as a tourist. Instead of daily touristy stuff we did simple things like having coffee or tea at the nearby cafe or window shopping a the new shopping mall. We took long walks and enjoyed just being together in her warm and cozy flat. A few times i went to the local sauna which always makes me feel good. I grew comfortable with our daily routine and occasional fun outing like dancing at a nearby restaurant at night.

There's more to tell that i think that's good for now. The month flew by and I hated to come home. Now I'm alone again...the revolving marriage...one month together then many months apart. I keep telling myself...soon! Soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.