32 posts in this topic

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Than ks !!! you guys I feel I have a better plan now :)

:thumbs:

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree with JP on the falafel. I think falafel and schwarma in chafing dishes are both bad ideas for a buffet style party. There's not much worse than old, hard falafel balls and dried out sliced meat!

I don't agree you must stick with a theme though. I see why JP said that, but I imagine you'll have a mixed crowd at your wedding and need to please different tastes. I went to a party at a Moroccan family home last Sunday and they had all of the above arabic foods plus a man standing there and making fresh tacos, refried beans, and rice. They also had a fruit plate, cheeses, chunks of turkey, arabic desserts- baklava, basbousa, etc. and they also had mini brownies. it was a nice mix!

Chaishai- was that cocktail at Momo's?

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Kofta instead of meatballs is a great idea! They're so easy to make and way tastier than reagular meatballs IMO.

The hummus, baba ghanouj, pickles, olives, ma'ashi or dolmas, and tabouleh can all be bought at Mid East markets premade. The Mid East market I go too has a huge "bar" with all of these things. So convenient! The hummus and baba ghanouj are really easy to make yourself. I have a super tasty recipe for baba ghanouj that is very authentic Egyptian (my SIL's recipe). It's a bit different than Lebanese style baba ghanouj and more fresh tasting IMO.

I agree with JP...nix the brie, pasta salad and couscous.

I think its important to remember that you should get food that will hold up well. Falafel, unless eating hot out of the fryer doesn't taste as great and also has a tendency to spoil quickly.

I would also stick with a theme. If you are choosing middle eastern food then I would skip the cheeses, baked brie, pasta salad and couscous.

I reccomend this menu:

Appitizers:

Hummos

Baba Ghanouj

Assorted Pickles

Tabouleh Salad (instead of green salad)

Veggie Dolmas (you can actually get these canned and they are not bad)

Mixed nuts

Main dishes:

Kufta meatballs instead of regualr meatballs

Rice w/ roasted pine nuts and almonds

Kababs or arabic style roasted chicken quarters or cornish hens

Roasted veggies & potatoes

Dessert:

Baklava

Cake

Coffee/Tea

Although many of the suggestions here are delicious, they are very homelike and should not be served at a wedding regardless of the size. I can make a meal out of zait & zaatar but I would be shocked to see it at a wedding. Shawerma is good but since it is sliced thin, it will dry out and get cold quickly.

Good luck! If you need any recipes I have plenty and so do the girls around here.

Timeline

jp remember a while back you posted a quick and easy recipe for something to satisfy your husband's shawerma craving? I think it was before you were married but shortly after he came here. Do you remember what it was?

I think its important to remember that you should get food that will hold up well. Falafel, unless eating hot out of the fryer doesn't taste as great and also has a tendency to spoil quickly.

I would also stick with a theme. If you are choosing middle eastern food then I would skip the cheeses, baked brie, pasta salad and couscous.

I reccomend this menu:

Appitizers:

Hummos

Baba Ghanouj

Assorted Pickles

Tabouleh Salad (instead of green salad)

Veggie Dolmas (you can actually get these canned and they are not bad)

Mixed nuts

Main dishes:

Kufta meatballs instead of regualr meatballs

Rice w/ roasted pine nuts and almonds

Kababs or arabic style roasted chicken quarters or cornish hens

Roasted veggies & potatoes

Dessert:

Baklava

Cake

Coffee/Tea

Although many of the suggestions here are delicious, they are very homelike and should not be served at a wedding regardless of the size. I can make a meal out of zait & zaatar but I would be shocked to see it at a wedding. Shawerma is good but since it is sliced thin, it will dry out and get cold quickly.

Good luck! If you need any recipes I have plenty and so do the girls around here.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I agree with JP on the falafel. I think falafel and schwarma in chafing dishes are both bad ideas for a buffet style party. There's not much worse than old, hard falafel balls and dried out sliced meat!

I don't agree you must stick with a theme though. I see why JP said that, but I imagine you'll have a mixed crowd at your wedding and need to please different tastes. I went to a party at a Moroccan family home last Sunday and they had all of the above arabic foods plus a man standing there and making fresh tacos, refried beans, and rice. They also had a fruit plate, cheeses, chunks of turkey, arabic desserts- baklava, basbousa, etc. and they also had mini brownies. it was a nice mix!

Chaishai- was that cocktail at Momo's?

Why yes it was at Momo's!

Thats a good idea - to please lots of tastes maybe you should have "stations". an arabic station, a cheese and crackers station, an american station, maybe a mexican station!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
jp remember a while back you posted a quick and easy recipe for something to satisfy your husband's shawerma craving? I think it was before you were married but shortly after he came here. Do you remember what it was?

Im not JP, but I can say that at the grocery stores with a big kosher section where they sell israeli products they usually have a spice section with "pereg" spices. They make a mixed spice called "Shawarma spice". Just marinading lamb or chicken (ideally boneless thighs) in that is good for a craving. Topped with tahini, yum!

Timeline

Im not JP, but I can say that at the grocery stores with a big kosher section where they sell israeli products they usually have a spice section with "pereg" spices. They make a mixed spice called "Shawarma spice". Just marinading lamb or chicken (ideally boneless thighs) in that is good for a craving. Topped with tahini, yum!

Thanks!

moody - your arabic market sounds awesome! I've only been to one here so far in Revere and it had a few dry goods and a butcher in the back and desserts up front but no long bar with salad things. I would love to have that. The only place I go to that I like for those things is Whole foods but they still don't have like the marinated cauliflower/carrots, etc. that I like.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

yeah that market sounds great , the one around here are tiny :(

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

I think it's posted in Sultan's ktichen thread, I will have to look for it there.

Well I would say if you are on a budget and can't do many themes like Jen suggested then it would be best to stick with one. I think it's also important to remember that a wedding is different than a party. I wouldnt think that slicing shawerma at a wedding would be appropriate and actually shawerma is ALOT more work than most middle eastern dishes.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Shawerma recipe

However I now make it with boneless skinless chicken thighs

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.