Henna Rose

finally broke the news to my SO

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

<--------100% heterosexual.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
<--------100% heterosexual.

Given the cultural signifigance of this dish, I really wanted to like it ! We shared Cous Cous with several different Moroccan families and it was always the chicken and vegetables. Some of these other recipes that were posted do sound tasty ! As far as the dual meaning ~ go figure ! maybe I better steer clear of complimenting any female relatives on their Cous Cous ! :lol:

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I think the couscous that Chaishai is talking about is not couscous it actually has another name. Many countries call it Maghrebeyeh and some call it Maftool. It's actually very good but nothing like couscous.

Huh? OK so what is couscous?! The couscous I provided the recipe for is what I was served in morocco. I have served it to moroccans in my home also and they say its authentic couscous. The recipe is from an algerian website and they call it couscous. huh?

I was in london years ago in an awesome lebanese restaurant and I had what I think they called couscous and that was actually israeli couscous (which israelis dont call couscous either, they refer to it as a type of pasta).

Right its a type of pasta. Even the blog you posted states that its not couscous but it was basically derived from it. They also say in the blog that its not Israeli. It originated in Morocco and thats why they call it Maghrebiyeh. There is a difference between couscous and maghrebiyeh. Actually maghrebiyeh being the more "home-style" version of it which its also VERY rare that someone living in the usa at such a young age make it. The only person in my family that makes this from scratch is my 84 year old grandmother. This probebly has ALOT to do with the kudos you are getting. Its not easy to make and they are probebly very impressed(as am I) that you can make such an old country style dish.

Its also eaten all over the middle east, and referred to as Maghrebiyeh or Maftool. I could be wrong but I have never seen anyone refer to Maghribiyeh or Maftool as couscous.

Hold on - lets get aligned. The recipe I posted above and what I make and call couscous is not the large ball variety - it is the tiny grains. Its basically like near east but a little finer and from scratch. Although I would say that I could probably take this through a wider sieve and end up with the larger balled "israeli couscous"

you are referring to the large balled "israeli couscous" as maghribiyeh or maftool correct? what i make is very small grains and what you typically see in all of the pictures of "couscous" with the soup on top in the middle.

I think the couscous that Chaishai is talking about is not couscous it actually has another name. Many countries call it Maghrebeyeh and some call it Maftool. It's actually very good but nothing like couscous.

Huh? OK so what is couscous?! The couscous I provided the recipe for is what I was served in morocco. I have served it to moroccans in my home also and they say its authentic couscous. The recipe is from an algerian website and they call it couscous. huh?

I was in london years ago in an awesome lebanese restaurant and I had what I think they called couscous and that was actually israeli couscous (which israelis dont call couscous either, they refer to it as a type of pasta).

Right its a type of pasta. Even the blog you posted states that its not couscous but it was basically derived from it. They also say in the blog that its not Israeli. It originated in Morocco and thats why they call it Maghrebiyeh. There is a difference between couscous and maghrebiyeh. Actually maghrebiyeh being the more "home-style" version of it which its also VERY rare that someone living in the usa at such a young age make it. The only person in my family that makes this from scratch is my 84 year old grandmother. This probebly has ALOT to do with the kudos you are getting. Its not easy to make and they are probebly very impressed(as am I) that you can make such an old country style dish.

Its also eaten all over the middle east, and referred to as Maghrebiyeh or Maftool. I could be wrong but I have never seen anyone refer to Maghribiyeh or Maftool as couscous.

Hold on - lets get aligned. The recipe I posted above and what I make and call couscous is not the large ball variety - it is the tiny grains. Its basically like near east but a little finer and from scratch. Although I would say that I could probably take this through a wider sieve and end up with the larger balled "israeli couscous"

you are referring to the large balled "israeli couscous" as maghribiyeh or maftool correct? what i make is very small grains and what you typically see in all of the pictures of "couscous" with the soup on top in the middle.

I don't know what "israeli couscous" is but the link you provided was discussing maghribeyeh which is the larger type balls you are talking about. The photo also looked like maghribiyeh.

JP-- what do Jordanians call couscous then? I asked my DH and he said "that looks like maftool."

Yes Julianna, we call if Maftool but there is quite a difference between maftool and the couscous you see here. Maftool is bulgar wheat that is coated with flour and it forms into little balls.

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Israeli couscous (in Hebrew פתיתים אפויים 'baked flakes'), also known as maftoul or pearl couscous, is a larger version of couscous and used in slightly different ways.

Israeli couscous is a version of North African Berkukes, introduced by immigrants from various parts of North Africa in the early 1950s, and Levantine Maghrebiyya (from the Maghreb) common in Palestine, Jordan, Syria and Lebanon. Couscous was meant to provide a rice substitute for those immigrants from eastern Arab countries and from Persia, where rice was the staple grain. Unlike North African couscous, Palestinian couscous (Maftoul) is not semolina at all, but rather a toasted mixture of bulgur and flour.

-from wikipedia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
(F) that i never really cared for Cous Cous ! (F)

:lol:

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.