Teacher Mark

How In The World Did It Come To This?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Sending out my pettion tommorrow and if she arrives in the US in 7months which seems to be a fair length then we will have been apart (POTENTIALLY)for 7 months out of 19 months since we started dating.

Side note....

I calculated that I spend 82 dollars just to complete the I-129F petition... not including the filing fee or the postage to send it.. I mean for developing pictures, passport photos, buying ink cartriges and paper for the friend who's printer and copier we were using and for travel to pick up important documents, and supplies like paperclips

Probably doesnt help that i am in Israel where it is super expensive for office related things

Also like to add that I am going over to Federal Express tommorrow where I assume to get a 2-3 day priority mailing to the U.S. is gonna cost me $50+

Lets face it it is harder for the non USC in this situation.. they have to deal with a complete un-known beauracracy, language issues, the wait the confusion the fear of medicals and interviews... All this while most of us are in the country we grew up in with support structures in place. I'll add that I am living with my fiance outside the U.S. but in April I have to return and the seperation begins. Also, she is technically in a third country ( not the country she grew up in or the U.S.

I dont think my situation is unique... I think that a lot of us meet someone and decide to get married and then run into this road block cause most of us when falling in love dont just decide to stumble across this or USCIS.org and know whats going on. We decide we wnat to marry and then check out the info and then we realize we have to wait.

Did anyone here actually send out a I-129F prior to asking or getting asked by thier significant other to marry them. That seems strange and even stranger when you think that two people have to have that conversation... "well if you ask me one day to marry or if I ask you lets fill out this paperwork so things will be quicker" who does that?

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you ever wonder how it is that you are in the position that you are at the mercy of your Government regarding your marriage? Maybe if everyone had to go through a similar process our divorce rate wouldn't be so high.

As most people have said in the previous post, it has been our choice from the start. And as my guy always say, every hardship we've gone through and still going through, all the loneliness and separation will be all worth it in the end.

This separation and nerve-wracking waiting for visa is simply strengthening our LOVE and COMMITMENT for each other! We're almost 3 years in this long distance relationship, what is another 6-9 months waiting compared to the PROMISE OF A LIFETIME! :luv:

As the saying goes: How can you truly appreciate happiness when you have never experienced sadness and loneliness!

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I was both surprised and pleased by how quick this post took off. My comment about the Pilgrims and background checks was obviously simplistic and sarcastic. It was intended to be. Hey, I gotta' be me.

My favorite course in College was Contemporary Moral Problems. It was taught by a man named Chris Vanneson who was a Bulgarian Immigrant. This guy knew more about American History and History in general than the whole class combined. He also spoke 6 languages including Latin. His father had been drug out of his house in the middle of the night and either shot or tortured. Chris was in the Bulgarian Army on guard duty when he saw an opportunity and escaped. His eventual destination was obviously America.

I love stories like his. It makes me proud of my Country and the opportunities that our forefathers have provided for us. We reap the benefits of their hard work and the luck that has shined upon our Country. I am an American. I do not want to live anywhere else. It has been instilled upon me from birth that we are a "can do" nation. When "can do" turns into "no you can't" I don't really like it alot. Especially when I feel I am right or that my motives are pure. In short, I expect positive results when dealing with our public institutions.

I am also a Veteran. I got lucky. There were no wars when I served. The closest I came was in 1986 when we bombed Libya. I was stationed in Germany when the orders came down for us to mobilize. We had no idea what was going on. We assumed that the Russians were attacking which would have meant an almost certain death for us as we would have been overwhelmed. The only thing we had to stop them would have been Tactical Nukes, which wouldn't have been a very good thing (duh). I remember thinking "Hey, this isn't what I signed up for"! In retrospect I was completely wrong. It was what I signed up for. It was a not so calculated gamble that worked out well for me and I am grateful. I feel for the families of the Armed Forces today, but I can assure you that most of them would tell you that it is their job. We trust that our leaders are going to do the right thing with our forces. Whether they are or not is still being determined. History will be the judge of that, but I must admit that it doesn't look real good right now.

I knew what I was getting into. I watched my cousin go through this process a few years ago. I watched with a combined sense of fascination, amusement and bewilderment. He was obviously in love and after a few years he got he her. Sorry, way to long. I finally decided that I was tired of being alone, so I set out on my journey (which turned into our journey).

I understand that there are many reasons why the Government proceeds with caution. I also understand that there is technology available to to tell if a person is lying. Why is it not utilized at the petitioners expense? I wouldn't believe some of the stories on this site if I didn't know a little about the process. There has got to be a better way.

So there it is. My humble opinions. Sorry if they are rambling. Once again, I gotta' be me.

Edited by WideAwakeInTheUSA

Did anyone here actually send out a I-129F prior to asking or getting asked by thier significant other to marry them. That seems strange and even stranger when you think that two people have to have that conversation... "well if you ask me one day to marry or if I ask you lets fill out this paperwork so things will be quicker" who does that?

Come to think of it, i think i saw one signature timeline where the date of I-129F filing was so much earlier than the date of proposal... which means he filed for petition before asking his girl to marry him... well, it turned out, the foreign fiancee ended up canceling her embassy interview. :whistle:

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Coming to VJ has made me feel a bit better about my situation with my fiance; before I joined I was constantly feeling like this whole process has been so horrible that we must be the only people on earth who have to endure this. Now I know that I'm in good company...

We, unlike most others, have only done the separation thing on and off for the last four years, spending only 11 months of that time apart. The longest I've gone without seeing him has been one 5 and a half month period. What we've had to do to avoid the long distances has been to essentially save up enough money between trips to support ourselves while we try and find work in other countries. Since meeting, our list has five countries on it, aside from our home countries. The constant travel has meant a lot of sacrifices for both of us, but we decided together that those sacrifices were much more bearable than the single sacrifice of being apart.

The worst of it came when we actually got the NAO2 and things started to feel like they were moving somewhere. That's when we started to dream about what life might be like after we can get married and settle down. I am absolutely terrified that we aren't going to get approved - it would crush us both.

Of course, we do have other options - we can live just about anywhere we want in Europe as soon as we get married, no questions asked...but I want to live near my family.

10/31/2004 - Sam and Nic Met in Thailand

03/18/2007 - Sam Proposed in Ireland

07/01/2007 - Mailed I129F

07/27/2007 - NOA1 - Petition received

12/05/2007 - NOA2 - Petition Approved

01/04/2008 - NVC approved and sent file to London Embassy

01/15/2008 - Case file erroneously sent to Dublin Embassy

01/18/2008 - London Embassy requested case file be returned from Dublin Embassy

02/04/2008 - Faxed Dublin Embassy for status update, Received response that Dublin would fwd case file to London TODAY!

03/07/2008 - Packet 3 finally sent from London

03/24/2008 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy via recorded mail

04/09/2008 - Medical appointment

04/21/2008 - Interview - sent new police cert via SMS 04/28/08

still waiting....

I think that if everyone had to go through what we do, not only would the divorce rate be lower, so would the marriage rate.

But is a lower marriage rate necessarily a bad thing? (I can't work out if you think it is or not!) I agree with zqt3344 when they say:

Actually I think all people getting married as two US citizens should have to go through a lot more to get married than what they do currently, it is a total joke, especially for such a serious life long committment. No wonder so many marriages fail or there are so many divorces when so many people should have not been married in the first place! A lot of those divorce rates would decrease and more people would do a much better job of making certain they were truly committed to that other person for their natural born life! It ought to be a federal law! Why not if we have to all go through it why not US citizens? :devil:

Although I have known couples who have married very quickly and are very happy, a little waiting doesn't do anyone any harm (although it's probably a lot easier for me because I'm relatively young).

Is it bad if I admit that I'm not finding the waiting too difficult? Granted, I already endured an 11 month separation last year so I figure I can easily cope with the same length of separation one more time. It's giving me plenty of time to reflect, plan and save up money, which I find very valuable. And at least I do have an end goal. LDRs are far more likely to fail when people have no idea where they're going.

In some ways I am surprised by how easy the process is, especially when you consider how many people would love to immigrate to the US and how hard it is to obtain a work visa. It is a fairly lengthy process but also a fairly straightforward process in most cases (especially with the help of these forums!)

You want to go back in history a bit further, you'll find marrying somebody not of your own home town was significantly more difficult, if only due to the travel involved. These things are choices that come with added difficulties. You make the choice, you deal with the difficulties just like its been throughout history.

:yes: I am fully appreciative of how fortunate we are to be alive in these times, how easy it is for us to experience a variety different cultures and meet people from all over the world.

i did learn a lot about his silly @ss :lol: mostly i learned that hes pretty incompetent when it comes to these sorts of things, but i love him anyway :blush:

:lol: Same here - our visa application was delayed by a few months because despite all the ' :crying: I miiisssss you' I received Alex was too scared to fill in a few forms. Fortunately I was able to visit and help bail him out. :P

Oh - and so much :luv: for this site; it really has helped tremendously. It should be obligatory to put a link to VJ on the initial forms!

Edited by Alex & Rachel

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I sometimes get mad cause it doesnt make sence why we have to go through this long proccess and are under such srutiny to prove the validitity of our relationships while our gov. lets thousands of illegal immigrants enter in through Mexico. They are paying all this money for background checks and all the gov. employees of the USCIS and doing so little at the borders. I told my fiance jokingly to fly out to Mexico and just go over the border so we can be together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.