americanenglish

Must signatures in I-864 be notarized?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Estonia
Timeline

:star: Hello,

I am pretty sure I have read on USCIS official website that signatures in I-864 have to be notarized. Now, for some reason, I cannot find the same information there. The form itself does noe say anything....as fas as I see.. :blink:

And several days ago, on one of the forums I go to, I saw a post that stated that notarized signatures or signing the from before the immigration officer is not required anymore.

Which one is right?

Thanks so much! :blush:

Sent: February 13th.

Received: February 14th at 2:11 p.m.

Checks cashed: February 22nd.

Noa's dated February 21st : February 25th.

Biometrics appointment : March 15th.

EAD Card ordered: April 17th.

EAD approval notice sent: April 25th.

EAD card received: April 28th.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I am pretty sure I have read on USCIS official website that signatures in I-864 have to be notarized. Now, for some reason, I cannot find the same information there. The form itself does noe say anything....as fas as I see.. :blink:

And several days ago, on one of the forums I go to, I saw a post that stated that notarized signatures or signing the from before the immigration officer is not required anymore.

Which one is right?

No need to Notarize the new I-864. The old ones did require it though.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Which one is right?

The new I-864 doesn't need to be notarized.

Filed: Country: Estonia
Timeline

Thank you!!! :dance::lol:

Sent: February 13th.

Received: February 14th at 2:11 p.m.

Checks cashed: February 22nd.

Noa's dated February 21st : February 25th.

Biometrics appointment : March 15th.

EAD Card ordered: April 17th.

EAD approval notice sent: April 25th.

EAD card received: April 28th.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to kick up the same topic, but I don't want to do anything that would slow our process down. I agree that there is nothing on the actual I-864 form about notarizing the signature, BUT, on the Chennai Consulate website, as well as in the Packet 3 information, it states that they must be notarized, AND that the last 3 tax returns and W-2s are required.... AARGH!! The year on the bottom of the form is 2006, so I am assuming that was the rule at that time.

Sooo, opinions please, get the form notarized and have the past 3 years tax returns or pull out the instruction form for the current packet and debate (politely of course) the point? Has anyone experienced this problem and dealt with it that way successfully? Particulalry in Chennai?

Thanks!

Carolyn

Met at work Sept. 2005

Started dating Nov. 2005

Got engaged Oct. 2007

Married January 5, 2008

Submitted I-130 in Delhi February 6, 2008 NOA1

Sent DS 230, DS 2001 to Chennai via courier Feb. 21, 2008

Received Case number from Chennai Consulate Feb. 22, 2008 (Postmarked Feb. 13)

Received Email Confirmation of Interview Date on March 5th: April 3rd!

SUCCESS - VISA APPROVED ON APRIL 3RD!! :) :)

POE Detroit - May 19, 2008

Applied for SSN: June 5th - Received Card: June 12th

Received Green Gard: June 12th

Driver's License: July 28th

Move to St. Louis/Ritesh starts his job: August 5th

Sorry to kick up the same topic, but I don't want to do anything that would slow our process down. I agree that there is nothing on the actual I-864 form about notarizing the signature, BUT, on the Chennai Consulate website, as well as in the Packet 3 information, it states that they must be notarized, AND that the last 3 tax returns and W-2s are required.... AARGH!! The year on the bottom of the form is 2006, so I am assuming that was the rule at that time.

Sooo, opinions please, get the form notarized and have the past 3 years tax returns or pull out the instruction form for the current packet and debate (politely of course) the point? Has anyone experienced this problem and dealt with it that way successfully? Particulalry in Chennai?

Thanks!

Carolyn

You are applying for IR-1/CR-1 via DCF. If it ask for notarization, then you should. This thread refers to when the form is used for adjustment of status. In which case notarization is unnessary.

keTiiDCjGVo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.