5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello VJers-

I am trying to be proactive here...My fiancee will be going to Juarez next week for her interview, and I am trying to start to wrap my mind around the next phase, so we are ready to roll ASAP. The plan is that she will arrive here at the end of the month, and then her kids will follow in July, once the school year is over. My question is, how do we handle the filing for AOS and AP? Do we file for everyone at the same time, with hers? Or do we have to wait until they are actually in the country to file for the kids? Is there some way to note on the applications that they are following in a few months? Or are we stuck paying the higher amounts, for not filing at the same time as her? Also, the children are younger (14, 12 and 9). Any advice about the EAD for them? I am assuming to just file for everything (AOS, AP, and EAD) at one time, since that is how things are set up these days. Any suggestions from people who have been in this same situation is appreciated...or advice from anyone, for that matter!! Thanks so much, and thanks to those responsible for this wonderful Visa Journey web site. I can't imagine what people do without this resource...the information here makes a world of difference for getting through this process. Gracias!

-Dan

K-1

6-16-07 Mailed in I-129F

6-26--07 NOA1

7-03-07 touched?

10-29-07 TOUCHED!! And Later in the day-APPROVED!!! (found out on line on the 30th)

11-06-07 received NOA2 in the mail

12-10-07 NVC received

12-12-07 Left NVC

01-14-08 USC received packet 3 in the mail

01-21-08 Fiancee received packet 3 in the mail

02-13-08 VISA ISSUED

02-27-08 Fiancee entered the country

03-20-08 Married! (First Day of Spring)

AOS, AP & EAD

03-29-08 Mailed in AOS, AP & EAD Application

04-04-08 NOAs for AOS, AP & EAD (arrived in mail APR 7)

4-11-08 letter for biometrics arrived in the mail

4-22-08 Biometrics

5-30-08 EAD and AP approved

06-06-2008 AP arrived in the mail

06-07-2008 EAD arrived in the mail

06-12-2008 AOS Approved

06-19-2008 Greencard in hand

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello VJers-

I am trying to be proactive here...My fiancee will be going to Juarez next week for her interview, and I am trying to start to wrap my mind around the next phase, so we are ready to roll ASAP. The plan is that she will arrive here at the end of the month, and then her kids will follow in July, once the school year is over. My question is, how do we handle the filing for AOS and AP? Do we file for everyone at the same time, with hers? Or do we have to wait until they are actually in the country to file for the kids? Is there some way to note on the applications that they are following in a few months? Or are we stuck paying the higher amounts, for not filing at the same time as her? Also, the children are younger (14, 12 and 9). Any advice about the EAD for them? I am assuming to just file for everything (AOS, AP, and EAD) at one time, since that is how things are set up these days. Any suggestions from people who have been in this same situation is appreciated...or advice from anyone, for that matter!! Thanks so much, and thanks to those responsible for this wonderful Visa Journey web site. I can't imagine what people do without this resource...the information here makes a world of difference for getting through this process. Gracias!

-Dan

You must wait until the children arrive to adjust status. To get the lower fee, the children must apply with their parent. I wouldn't bother filling out the EAD for the children because their green card will accomplish the same thing, but you could if you want to.

If she's not in a hurry to work, one option would be to wait until they are all here to adjust status.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have to disagree about applying for the 14 yr old's EAD. You're going to pay the higher fee regardless for him/her )based on age) and there is the potential for the GC to take a while - those processing timelines are not written in stone unfortunately! How old will they be when they arrive this summer? They could potentially be 15 or 16 before that GC arrives and be interested in working.

My daughter was 15 when we sent the AOS pkg in back in Dec. Now 16 ... I'm glad that when the EAD arrives in the next few months, she'll be able to get a part-time job like she had before we left Canada. Will keep her busy and happy making her own $$$ :)

I agree with the post above that waiting to do all the AOS's is a decent discount for the 2 younger kids...$600 +

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for those answers...Actually, my fiancee WILL be in a hurry to work...we will need the $$. So I am guessing that we will need to file for her as soon as possible, and just not worry about the extra cost involved in filing for the kids seperately...

K-1

6-16-07 Mailed in I-129F

6-26--07 NOA1

7-03-07 touched?

10-29-07 TOUCHED!! And Later in the day-APPROVED!!! (found out on line on the 30th)

11-06-07 received NOA2 in the mail

12-10-07 NVC received

12-12-07 Left NVC

01-14-08 USC received packet 3 in the mail

01-21-08 Fiancee received packet 3 in the mail

02-13-08 VISA ISSUED

02-27-08 Fiancee entered the country

03-20-08 Married! (First Day of Spring)

AOS, AP & EAD

03-29-08 Mailed in AOS, AP & EAD Application

04-04-08 NOAs for AOS, AP & EAD (arrived in mail APR 7)

4-11-08 letter for biometrics arrived in the mail

4-22-08 Biometrics

5-30-08 EAD and AP approved

06-06-2008 AP arrived in the mail

06-07-2008 EAD arrived in the mail

06-12-2008 AOS Approved

06-19-2008 Greencard in hand

I have to disagree about applying for the 14 yr old's EAD. You're going to pay the higher fee regardless for him/her )based on age) and there is the potential for the GC to take a while - those processing timelines are not written in stone unfortunately! How old will they be when they arrive this summer? They could potentially be 15 or 16 before that GC arrives and be interested in working.

My daughter was 15 when we sent the AOS pkg in back in Dec. Now 16 ... I'm glad that when the EAD arrives in the next few months, she'll be able to get a part-time job like she had before we left Canada. Will keep her busy and happy making her own $$$ :)

I agree with the post above that waiting to do all the AOS's is a decent discount for the 2 younger kids...$600 +

another reason for applying for EAD would be if you wanted your child to be able to apply for SSN sooner than it would take to receive GC.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.