Pauley

Wedding in Canada - Recognized in NYS?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiancé is from Toronto, I'm from New York (the state, not the city), and we will be getting married in Canada late this summer. Our intent (recognizing and understanding that there will likely be a long delay before she can move here) is to get married, then file for K-3 for her to move here. That part I'm not too worried about (yet).

I haven't seen any other messages about it, so I thought I'd toss a question out: Has anyone run into any problems with the US, or probably more specifically, New York State, not recognizing a foreign marriage, and are there any other pitfalls that are jumping out at anyone on this?

It's probably just paranoia, but one of the first questions my friends ask me when I say we're getting married in Canada is, "Ooh, will it be legit here?". I haven't seen any reason to believe it won't, but then again I may be looking in the wrong places, too. :)

Thanks in advance,

-- Pauley

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

US marriages are legit in Canada, and Canadian marriages are legit in the US. We have plenty of people in the Canadian forum that can attest to that! :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
My fiancé is from Toronto, I'm from New York (the state, not the city), and we will be getting married in Canada late this summer. Our intent (recognizing and understanding that there will likely be a long delay before she can move here) is to get married, then file for K-3 for her to move here. That part I'm not too worried about (yet).

I haven't seen any other messages about it, so I thought I'd toss a question out: Has anyone run into any problems with the US, or probably more specifically, New York State, not recognizing a foreign marriage, and are there any other pitfalls that are jumping out at anyone on this?

It's probably just paranoia, but one of the first questions my friends ask me when I say we're getting married in Canada is, "Ooh, will it be legit here?". I haven't seen any reason to believe it won't, but then again I may be looking in the wrong places, too. :)

Thanks in advance,

-- Pauley

I got married in India and my K3 was approved. So, don't see a problem with foreign a marriage.

Thanks in advance,

-- Pauley

I got married in India and my K3 was approved. So, don't see a problem with foreign a marriage.

Timeline

oh ya, they are legit!! Not sure if it is still this way or not, but it used (and maybe still) take forever to get the marriage certificate from Ontario!!

We got married in the USA (VA) --just a courthouse wedding (but was"real") I then returned to Canada and started the process. Then later on had a family wedding, which of course wasn't "real" Many Canucks do it that way as well. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

My husband and I got married in Vancouver. It was quite a wait for the I129F to be approved but when it got to the embassy, it was smooth sailing!

:thumbs: Good luck!

K3

2007-07-17 I-129F APPROVED via email

I-129f was approved in 116 days.

Interview Date - OCTOBER 1, 2007

Received Visa - October 2, 2007

Arrived U.S - October 3, 2007

EAD

01-19-2008 - Sent EAD Application

01-30-2008 - NOA Received

02-12-2008 - Card production ordered

02-13-2008 - Second Notice for Card Production

02-15-2008 - EAD Approval Notice

My EAD was approved in 27 days

02-19-2008 - Received EAD CARD

04-16-2008 - SSN application

05-10-2008 - Received SSN Card

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the hyper-fast replies... Guess I tossed up an easy one, huh?

One more quick question, 'cause I've seen this comment in several of the topics I'd read...

Not sure if it is still this way or not, but it used (and maybe still) take forever to get the marriage certificate from Ontario!!

Is this for the marriage certificate or the license application? Any idea how long the license applications take? Ontario's web site says the license is good for three months, when should we plan on applying?

Thanks,

-- Pauley

Edited by Pauley

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Married is married, really (two genders). Can you imagine the how FUBAR things would be otherwise?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Is there any need to register a foreign marriage in the state of residence?

AOS

May 23, 2008 - AOS filed

June 3, 2008 - NOA

June 27th - scheduled biometrics, reschedule requested

July 14th - biometrics

July 16 - cases available online

Aug 6th - card production ordered (EAD)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Is there any need to register a foreign marriage in the state of residence?

No.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Timeline
Thanks everyone for the hyper-fast replies... Guess I tossed up an easy one, huh?

One more quick question, 'cause I've seen this comment in several of the topics I'd read...

Not sure if it is still this way or not, but it used (and maybe still) take forever to get the marriage certificate from Ontario!!

Is this for the marriage certificate or the license application? Any idea how long the license applications take? Ontario's web site says the license is good for three months, when should we plan on applying?

Thanks,

-- Pauley

Teh province of Ontario is notoriously slow in returning marriage certificates to couples after the marriage has been performed. This will of course delay your sending in the I-130 petition because a copy of the marriage certificate is required for that.

The marriage license in Ontario MUST be used within the 3 months validity. If you do not get married within that time frame, you must get a new marriage license.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks,

-- Pauley

Applying for the marriage license or the K3? Could probably take a trip down to the courthouse and find out how long it generally takes them. I'm thinking it's 'days' if not the same day.

I have also heard that getting a copy of it can be dicey - think it's through the registrar in Thunder Bay - just like a birth cert

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.