angelic

SPOUSE USED THE VAWA TO GET GREEN CARD THROUGH LYING TO USCIS

19 posts in this topic

Hi All.

i have a very sad story to tell. i brought my spouse from nigeria on k-3 visa in march 2007 after having been in relationship since december 2003. i used to go home every year 2003-2007 to see her as well as send money to her every month 2003-2007. she came to U.S. and we started having problems in our marital lifes, we have gone thru several counseling sections with our pastor but she is still want to get out of the marriage. In july 07 she call the cops on me and was thrown into jail for 9hours and filed assault and battery charge on me. prior to this between april and july 07 she has physically punch me three times, bite me twice, not to talk of numerous verbal abuse. she used the assault and battery police report to file for green card using form i-360. Prior to this i still went ahead to file both employment authorization documents in april and green card in july out of covenant commitment to the marriage.

My question is what is the implication of my immigration records with USCIS AFTER HAVING FILE FOR GREEN CARD FOR HER AT THE SAME TIME she SELF PETITION FOR HERSELF WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE UNDER (VAWA)

she is still living with me just waiting to get her green card and move out. candid advice is really appreciated.

OH BROTHA.... I am sure you will hear a ton from the Sub-Sahara folks who have already walked down that path. I feel for you terribly as no human being deserves to go through this. I'll pm you later. Hugs

Chispas

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi All.

i have a very sad story to tell. i brought my spouse from nigeria on k-3 visa in march 2007 after having been in relationship since december 2003. i used to go home every year 2003-2007 to see her as well as send money to her every month 2003-2007. she came to U.S. and we started having problems in our marital lifes, we have gone thru several counseling sections with our pastor but she is still want to get out of the marriage. In july 07 she call the cops on me and was thrown into jail for 9hours and filed assault and battery charge on me. prior to this between april and july 07 she has physically punch me three times, bite me twice, not to talk of numerous verbal abuse. she used the assault and battery police report to file for green card using form i-360. Prior to this i still went ahead to file both employment authorization documents in april and green card in july out of covenant commitment to the marriage.

My question is what is the implication of my immigration records with USCIS AFTER HAVING FILE FOR GREEN CARD FOR HER AT THE SAME TIME she SELF PETITION FOR HERSELF WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE UNDER (VAWA)

she is still living with me just waiting to get her green card and move out. candid advice is really appreciated.

I don't have any specific advice to offer regarding the VAWA peition. However, I do want to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay strong!

Boaz

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Hi All.

26 Aug 2007

Read TopicName change

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Sorry to hear that you are going through this (F)

Has she been approved for the greencard already? If not maybe you could set up an infopass appointment to see what you can do. You may also want to talk to a qualified immigration attorney.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

You sound like you want to hold on to this relationship. But it's definitely hurting you. If she is physically assaulting you as well as slandering your character, you may be best to remove yourself from the situation. You can commit yourself to a marraige but if the other partner is not committed it simply will not work. You may need to save yourself and find some spiritual counseling to get yourself to a better place.

The use of VAWA does not put you in legal danger because USCIS does not prosecute. The assault and battery charges that she placed against you when she had you arrested could lead to a records so you should find out where you stand on that and get a lawyer if need be. I definitely think it's best that you get out of the situation, because right now you're placing yourself in harms way and she doesn't seem to hesitate to use all her resources so you'd better move on.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

You sound like you want to hold on to this relationship. But it's definitely hurting you. If she is physically assaulting you as well as slandering your character, you may be best to remove yourself from the situation. You can commit yourself to a marraige but if the other partner is not committed it simply will not work. You may need to save yourself and find some spiritual counseling to get yourself to a better place.

The use of VAWA does not put you in legal danger because USCIS does not prosecute. The assault and battery charges that she placed against you when she had you arrested could lead to a records so you should find out where you stand on that and get a lawyer if need be. I definitely think it's best that you get out of the situation, because right now you're placing yourself in harms way and she doesn't seem to hesitate to use all her resources so you'd better move on.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

First of all, my heart goes out to you in this difficult situation.

Has she been approved for the greencard already? If not maybe you could set up an infopass appointment to see what you can do. You may also want to talk to a qualified immigration attorney.

Second, I agree with ZeeNusah that contacting an immigration attorney might be the best thing to do, even if you only go for a consultation.

I hope everything will work out ok for you. You'll make it through this tough time!!!!

In every difficulty lies an island of opportunity.

The I-360 is done independently, and as I understand, the US Citizen has absolutely NO say in the matter. Apparently, the immigrant spouse got ahold of an attorney to help out, or has been advised by other 'friends'. The whole 'abuse' thing is a set up, and in many cases, it's something provoked to achieve the result...totally pre-conceived and calculated.

I, too, am sorry about the situation. This sort of thing just absolutely SUCKS!!! Sometimes, yeah, the immigrant gets the short end of the stick, and there's an abusive situation. But in a majority of the cases, especially here, anyway, it seems as if the USC invests money, time, emotion, and virtually changes their lives to make a relationship happen...at the expense of their own lives...and then get subjected to this sort of #######. It's just awful. Does the immigrant invest anything? Sure...they leave their country, their family, whatever...but in MOST cases, it does not seem like an investment in the relationship...it's more of an investment in THEMSELVES, and getting a better life for themselves and for the things, situations and people that they left behind.

It's unfortunate...but you aren't the first and will not have been the last victim.

I am in no position to dispense advice about trying to rehabilitate the relationship, because I have been trying to rehabilitate one that was abusive in its own rite...and I often ask myself, "why?" If I were dispensing advice to myself, it would be to RUN! But it's not that easy after you've invested so much, so I, along with others, no doubt, understand your reluctance to let go, but it's the only way. Cut your losses now...no matter how good the potential. They won't change...and what's happening now will happen again and again and again.

The first rule about holes: when you find yourself in one, the first thing you need to do is STOP DIGGING.

Good luck! You can still withdraw the Declaration of Support if the green card has not yet been issued...they'll get the green card regardless because of the I-360...but, if you disavow the support, at least you won't be on the hook.

Edited by tito

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Many are gaining citizenship thru this method. Unfortunately the Alien files this without the US CitiZens knowledge, and once filed the US Citizen is shut out of their case, many Countries know about this method, not to mention the American laywers here.

It's pretty much guarenteed benefit winner, unless you can beat your immigrant spouse to the immigration office with a letter of your own and have people that are aware of the abruse you suffered send in affidavits into the immigration office, not you but them.

Once an I-360 is filed, by law , anything the us sponsor ( accused abruser ) sends into the office can not be considered against the I-360.

So have others send in information in your behalf, if you think an I-360 has been filed.

( Stating information I got from a fraud investigation officer )

idocare

NSC, NOA1 September 26th,03

received NOA1 in mail Oct. 03,03

RFE - received in mail March 29th,04

RFE returned April 17th,04

RFE received April 21,04 at NSC online

NOA2 received April 29th,04 via online

NOA2 received May 03,04 in mail

NVC receives file May 6th,04

NVC sends file to Nigeria May 11th,04

Lagos receives our file, notified thru e-mail May 19th,04

Victor goes and picks up packet #3....May 20th,04

Sent request for earlier interview date via e-mail May 20th,04

May 27th, Lagos won't change date.

August 16th, 2004 fly to Nigeria for Victors interview

August 19th, 2004 Interview date, visa approved.

August 25th, 2004 Victor picks up passport with visa stamp.

August 26th, 2004 fly back to USA

September 18th, 2004 Victor arrives in USA, Lord willing.

October 9th, 2004, we become husband and wife

October 25th, 2004 I learn that I'm pregnant.

Feburary 25th, 2005 AOS Appointment

( went to appt. and requested a reschedule)

June 7th, 05 gave birth to a boy child.

July 5th, 05 Victor packs he suitcase and leaves for good.

July 2005 2nd AOS appointment

( went and requested a reschedule )

August 2005- I file for divorce. and withdraw immigration paperwork.

Washington State/ Nigeria

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.