john & jean

2 much focus on illegal???

63 posts in this topic

I'm simply noting that this is a highly complicated issue. To hardliners, any nuanced position--that is, one that acknowledges that this a multifaceted problem with more than one cause and solution--seems to indicate sympathy for the devil. Where did I say anything about jumping the line?

I don't feel that I'm in a position to make a sweeping judgment about 12 million people because I and my husband have filled out a few forms.

I also wanted to note that the line between illegal and legal is not as stark as some would like to believe. Illegal can become legal, and vice versa--hence, my mention of some fellow VJ users having been illegal at one time. Many are forthright about this when asking questions in other threads. Gee, why aren't some of you hassling them, or better yet, reporting them?

Gary asked you a simple question & you come back with this? :lol:

His question had nothing to do with my post!

Me: I like marshmallows

Gary: So we should give illegals citizenship?

Me: What?

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I'm simply noting that this is a highly complicated issue. To hardliners, any nuanced position--that is, one that acknowledges that this a multifaceted problem with more than one cause and solution--seems to indicate sympathy for the devil. Where did I say anything about jumping the line?

I don't feel that I'm in a position to make a sweeping judgment about 12 million people because I and my husband have filled out a few forms.

I also wanted to note that the line between illegal and legal is not as stark as some would like to believe. Illegal can become legal, and vice versa--hence, my mention of some fellow VJ users having been illegal at one time. Many are forthright about this when asking questions in other threads. Gee, why aren't some of you hassling them, or better yet, reporting them?

God Lord.

Do you have to practice being beligerant or were you just born that way?

Gary asked a simple question. You think you need to teach me internet 101 when you yourself quoted the WRONG post?

it's called a discussion within a thread.

Nah, he asked a silly rhetorical question looking for a hysterical answer.

K-1

AOS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

And your reply was so very non-hysterical. I applaud you! ;)

Edited by devilette

And your reply was so very non-hysterical. I applaud you! ;)

I'm known far and wide for my sparing use of exclamation points.

K-1

AOS

Why does it always have to be illegal immigration in the news. Could anyone think of away to bring more attention to those of us that are trying to do this legally? What if all of the ones waiting took over the stadium just before the super bowl kick off ? I suspect maybe we would make the third page. Hoping not to many people notice. Sorry for the rant, feeling a little left out. If... john&jean

Because that would bring to the forefront the fact that many who clamor against 'illegal immigration' are really against immigration of any kind.

I'm glad I have you to speak for me. :bonk:

You should be. You don't have a mouth after all. Or ears. Hell, you've only got one eye! :lol:

Get off my avatar, you've been buggin me about it alot. If you want, you can borrow it for a little while or I will rent it to ya. Other than that leave it alone :devil:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Get off my avatar, you've been buggin me about it alot. If you want, you can borrow it for a little while or I will rent it to ya. Other than that leave it alone :devil:

Geez, all this time, I thought it was a malformed, self-pitying Twinkie.

K-1

AOS

If you want, you can borrow it for a little while or I will rent it to ya.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Is your shiny little toy bwoke?

Yep it's bwoke, come fix it! :lol:

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

God Lord.

Do you have to practice being beligerant or were you just born that way?

It really was a simple question. Really.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Why does it always have to be illegal immigration in the news. Could anyone think of away to bring more attention to those of us that are trying to do this legally? What if all of the ones waiting took over the stadium just before the super bowl kick off ? I suspect maybe we would make the third page. Hoping not to many people notice. Sorry for the rant, feeling a little left out. If... john&jean

IMO legal immigration issues are woefully underreported in the news...

Now that I think of it, the idea that there is even a line to be jumped is sort of a fantasy, which goes back to the thread's original point. But stories about long waits, expensive fees, piles of paperwork--it's just not interesting or sexy.

Another thing is that most applications now are being processed significantly faster than in the past. If this site is in any way representative, lots of applicants are getting their GCs in a matter of months. What is there to complain about?

Even our situation, which is statistically unusual but not unheard of, is a bore. So we've been waiting for two years for GC (or 2 years, 9 months if you count K-1) and have continued to shell out $$ for AP and EAD year after year. It's a pisser, but not terribly compelling.

Sometimes stories about couples being separated for a while because of some policy change or administrative error make the news, but legal is boring.

I agree that because immigration has become such a huge issue, the legal aspect of it should receive more attention--who is able to do it (and who isn't) and how, what the rationales are behind the laws, etc.

Ramble, ramble...

K-1

AOS