Mina76

RELIGION DISCRIMINATION AT WORK

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Can anyone tell me how one would have handled this situation at work with a co-worker?

My husband is muslim and he never discusses religion unless it's with close friends and family, but last friday at work someone was curious about the islamic faith and asked my husband a question in which my husband was more then happy to answer when another co-worker came over to talk to them. When my husband left the conversation to go back to finish his work he overheard them laughing and seen one of them making hand gestures about the islamic faith.

Being me I would have confronted that co-worker directly, but instead my husband kept quiet. I feel he should report this incident! :angry:

1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif avatar_ani_050.gifSOON TO BE HAPPILY DIVORCED! avatar_ani_052.gif 1803363hy9lzatt1e.gif

Filed: Timeline
Can anyone tell me how one would have handled this situation at work with a co-worker?

My husband is muslim and he never discusses religion unless it's with close friends and family, but last friday at work someone was curious about the islamic faith and asked my husband a question in which my husband was more then happy to answer when another co-worker came over to talk to them. When my husband left the conversation to go back to finish his work he overheard them laughing and seen one of them making hand gestures about the islamic faith.

Being me I would have confronted that co-worker directly, but instead my husband kept quiet. I feel he should report this incident! :angry:

What was the question? What was the answer? Besides seeing them laughing, what else did he hear them say? And what were the hand gestures?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Did your husband forget what they did to "The Prophet Mohammed" when he explain to them about Islam? We Muslims should expect that and more. Alhamdullilah, if what he explain to them was solid from Quran and Sunnah, alhamdullilah. He got Hassanat(blessing). Our job as Muslims are not to force people to be Muslims, but to just share the message.

If your husband has a sense of humor, he could always tell them after he explained to them about Islam and seeing him make hand gestures behind his back, he knew he was going to get good blessings and rewards. Then tell him something good that happen to him. That usually shut them up.

Islam started as something strange, and will end like that. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. It's growing fast in America, so, what will be the other lie about Islam now? No weapons are used here to convert people to Islam. It was a lie to say Islam spread by the sword. What sword is used here in America to convert people? Man please, laugh it off and in fact laugh at them.

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, first off, not knowing any specifics, thats kinda hard. But lets see. He was asked some questions, gave some answers and went back to work. During his work he noticed their supposed "ignorance". He did what he should have done, absolutely nothing. I am a christian (pentecostal to be exact), and my bible trained mine teaches me that I am to spread the good news, not enforce it. So, in my opinion, your husband behaved according to the commands of his higher power.

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

What were the hand gestures about the Islamic faith?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
What were the hand gestures about the Islamic faith?

That's what I'm wondering.

All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood

In a modest town where honest people dwell

--July 22---------Sent I-129F packet

--July 27---------Petition received

--August 28------NOA1 issued

--August 31------Arrived in Terrace after lots of flight delays to spend Lindsay's birthday with her

--October 10-----Completed address change online

--January 25-----NOA2 received via USCIS Case Status Online

• 2 months later...
Filed: Timeline

I think your husband should have avoided talking about anything religious at work. There are certain topics that are best not discussed in the work environment, religion and politics are the top 2 in my mind. Especially when the people have different views on the subject. This is like opening Pandora's box. I think reporting such a thing to human resources will only look bad on all people involved since HR will most likely agree that these subjects are not work related and should be discussed outside of work.

On to the second part of the reaction of the other people... A person can only control their own actions. With this in mind, your husband should only be concerned about his own actions and that they were good. Would any benefit come to the people who made the hand gestures by reporting the incident? If your husbands true motive was to help these people, would it not be the opposite to then try to harm or do damage to these people by reporting them? Some people will make jokes. Some people are immature. This is life. Our job is to control our own actions. We must be humble and realize that we all make mistakes. We would all like others to have mercy on us when we make mistakes for whatever reason.

I am a Christian. We have a prayer called "The Lord's Prayer" that states "And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive those who trespass against us." This is what we are asking for when we say this prayer, to only be forgiven in the same way that we forgive. If we are failing to forgive others, then we just asked with this prayer to not be forgiven.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

i think your husband is a wise man, somtimes silent is the best anwser for some type of people..if things get worse he need to report them to the HR, or find another job that hires educated people.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

I would make very clear notes about the incident with dates, times, names, quotes, descriptions. File it away. If this escalates, he will need them later to prove harrassment.

I think your husband did the right thing. It sounds very wise of him. I often hear people say disparaging things about Catholics, Americans, Southerners. It is very hard for me to keep my mouth shut, and sometimes I fail. I know that being Muslim in America is different from being American in China, but I still think your husband did the wise thing.

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Holy thread bump!

I'm actually curious what the hand gestures were as well, but eh, this thread's too old.....

peace..... :ot2:

Is there a reason these gestures should be kept a secret? :unsure:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline

What was the question? What was the answer? Besides seeing them laughing, what else did he hear them say? And what were the hand gestures?

That's what I was wondering myself.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE