Me 2

Disrespectful interview once, how about 2 times?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have some concern about the possible interview that lies ahead for my girlfriend/Fiancée. We tried for a "visitor visa" in July knowing in advance, that for some reason it could be difficult for her to come to America to visit a friend. We made sure she met all the necessary requirements/demands of the US government to aquire this visa in Moscow. She rode on a train for 36 hours to have her interview, ONEWAY! When she returned home this is part of her message to me...

"I am very upset to have this refusal from the Embassy. The consular officer asked me only 3 questions 1) My name; 2) Where I came from; 3) The purpose of my visit. After that he has looked casually at me only one time within our conversation and says: " Thank you. Sorry I can not open visa for you." He gives me back all my documents with passport and and say to me "good bye"."

What is this, like a 30 second interview! And then she must get back on the train. For me it wasn't so much the refusal of the visa as it was the way this "jerk" treated her and possibly everyone else that makes an honest effort to come for a visit to America. She would have returned to her country as expected! It's real simple,... tell me i'm going to prison if she fails to leave America. She'll be on the plane, i promise. God forbid we have anyone in this country illegally.

This site the State Dept. has is so untrue.... http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_2796.html

So now i must worry about this next interview. Is this counsellor officer going to be in a bad mood also and care less? After we make all this effort and spend money to do it correctly. What are the chances of this refusal? Like i said we had everything as needed for the interview before and she was denied. But maybe applying for the Fiancée visa is more agreeable with the powers that be.

bp

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Me2, have you applied for a fiancée visa?

Don't worry about the visitor’s visa denial, the requirements for both visas are very different...actually, almost opposite! For a visitors visa, you have to probe you have significant ties to your home country such that they would justify your return. For a fiancé visa, you have the intent to immigrate and establish permanent residence in the US, and so you have to probe that you fulfill the requirements for an immigrant - in this case, you are engaged to a US citizen, your relationship is genuine, no criminal/ drug history, not likely to become a state burden...and all that good stuff)

See, very different situations :thumbs:

Learn about the process, and be prepared!

Good Luck! :star:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I have some concern about the possible interview that lies ahead for my girlfriend/Fiancée. We tried for a "visitor visa" in July knowing in advance, that for some reason it could be difficult for her to come to America to visit a friend. We made sure she met all the necessary requirements/demands of the US government to aquire this visa in Moscow. She rode on a train for 36 hours to have her interview, ONEWAY! When she returned home this is part of her message to me...

"I am very upset to have this refusal from the Embassy. The consular officer asked me only 3 questions 1) My name; 2) Where I came from; 3) The purpose of my visit. After that he has looked casually at me only one time within our conversation and says: " Thank you. Sorry I can not open visa for you." He gives me back all my documents with passport and and say to me "good bye"."

What is this, like a 30 second interview! And then she must get back on the train. For me it wasn't so much the refusal of the visa as it was the way this "jerk" treated her and possibly everyone else that makes an honest effort to come for a visit to America. She would have returned to her country as expected! It's real simple,... tell me i'm going to prison if she fails to leave America. She'll be on the plane, i promise. God forbid we have anyone in this country illegally.

This site the State Dept. has is so untrue.... http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_2796.html

So now i must worry about this next interview. Is this counsellor officer going to be in a bad mood also and care less? After we make all this effort and spend money to do it correctly. What are the chances of this refusal? Like i said we had everything as needed for the interview before and she was denied. But maybe applying for the Fiancée visa is more agreeable with the powers that be.

bp

Russia is not much different from China when it comes to a visitor visa for an unmarried female. Success if very rare and is achieved only when there is extremely compelling evidence the applicant will return home. This is because the applicant must overcome the strong assumption that they intend to immigrate. It sounds to me like the Consular officer gave her a polite "no" something a well informed applicant would have been expecting.

If she goes for a fiance or spouse interview, it is understood that she intends to immigrate and that she has applied for the appropriate visa to do so. In that case, if she qualifies for a visa and demonstrates sufficient evidence of a bona fide relationship with her USC spouse or fiance, she'll receive an equally polite "approval".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Unfortunately that is the way many consulates treat tourist VISA's my wife was asked one question " I see you previously visited the US for 4 months " " yes " disapproved. Never even looked at the documents. I feel your frustration. US citizens are hardly used to thei treatment and we take it personal but there's not a darn thing we can do.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Unfortunately that is the way many consulates treat tourist VISA's my wife was asked one question " I see you previously visited the US for 4 months " " yes " disapproved. Never even looked at the documents. I feel your frustration. US citizens are hardly used to thei treatment and we take it personal but there's not a darn thing we can do.

One should procede under the assumption that before the actual interview, the documents have been reviewed and notes made by somebody, even if not the actual interviewer. In many cases, the outcome decision is already made but subject to change based on the interview. For instance, our AOS interview seemed pre-determined as yes, but if we had been missing the I-693a or had less than two papers bearing both our names, the outcome would have changed.

You can bet your britches, a single female from Russia's visitor visa application has been reviewed and ruled on before the interview. I suppose there could be yes, no and maybe categories.

My point was the CO was polite, not disrespectful. He said, I'm sorry but no. Sugar coating really doesn't help in these matters.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I'm sorry that happened to you and your fiancee back in summer, that sucks! I thought about the same thing many times before, it's just so unfair! I understand that fraud happens but why, WHY, say, I cannot go to America to see my boyfriend, stay with him for some time, he'd take care of me ... what's up with all this marriage thing anyway??? British and Canadians are going back and forth (lucky them:) ! and poor Eastern European people cannot go with a honest visit!!!

With your case, I'm sure you'll be fine. It's two different types of visa and, as other members stressed, your fiancee is required to produce totally different evidence, and if it's all fine with it, you guys will be ok! (I know the feeling though; I'll be scheduling my interview next week and I'm a bit freeking out, it's all getting so close... :)

Good luck :)

AOS

04-16-2008: AOS package Sent to Chicago via Express Mail

05-13-2008: Biometrics

05-22-2008: AOS trasfered to CSC

06-13/17-2008: EAD Approved (2 CRIS email)

06-18/19-2008: AOS touch

06-20-2008: EAD Approval Notice Sent (email)

06-23-2008: EAD in mail

06-23-2008: Another EAD touch (9AM), EAD IN MAIL (1PM)

07-14-2008: I-485 Card Production Ordered

07-21-2008: Green Card in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.