Krikit

What's For Dinner?

5,101 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

don't know what to make again.. don't have much in the way of groceries in the house right now...

I have a lot of meat but not a lot of stuff to make stuff with the meat :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Tonight will be grilled salmon, couscous, cauliflower and salad.

We had grilled salmon this weekend as well. It was AWESOME! I loved grilled anything, but particularly salmon. Instead of couscous, I made a tabooli. Anyone heard of that? It was very VERY good. Very high fibre, you could make it with couscous I suppose, but this bulgar-wheat I got for it, is very delicious. Lots of veggies, a lemon oil vinegarette, mmmmmmmmmmm

I'm making pulled pork today. Got some onion buns. Will make a potato salad, and have beans as well.

I've heard of tabouli but i've never had it. Your dinner tonight sounds SO good Carla.

I love tabouli - I've made it as well. Your dinner does sound good:-)

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am making the "mock pot roast" recipe that is in the most recent copy of Saltscapes magazine.

In other words, fancy meatloaf and veg. :D

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok so what's tabouli? *loves learning new things*

Marilyn, not to be nosey, but what do you have...ingredients wise. Maybe I can help you come up with something. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

I think it is just going to be hot dogs tonight because hubby has school tonight and won't be home until around 9pm... I will mix it up a bit and open up the can of chili and we can have chili dogs :P

but the stuff I have is ground beef, chicken drumsticks, chicken breasts, some sgetti sauce, a little bit of rice, sgetti noodles, kraft dinner, frozen peas and chicken broth.. that is about it....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
Tabbouleh (Arabic: تبولة‎; also Tabouleh or Tabouli) is a Lebanese salad dish, often used as part of a mezze. Its primary ingredients are bulgur, finely chopped parsley, mint, tomato, scallion (spring onion), and other herbs with lemon juice and various seasonings, generally including black pepper and sometimes cinnamon and allspice. In Syria and in Lebanon, where the dish originated, it is often eaten by scooping it up in Romaine lettuce leaves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabouli

Tabouli

1 cup bulgur wheat (#1, if you have a choice on the grind)

2 cups boiling water

2 bunches parsley

2 roma tomatoes

1 (6 ounce) can black olives, chopped

3/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup lemon juice

1. Pour boiling water over bulgar.

2. Cover and let sit until water is absorbed (time will depend on how fine the grind is).

3. To prepare parsley, wash, pull leaves off the largest parts of the stem, discarding the stems.

4. Spin or pat the leaves to remove excess water, and chop finely. (I use a Pampered Chef chopper).

5. Dice tomatoes.

6. Combine bulgar, chopped parsley, diced tomatoes, and chopped olives in large bowl.

7. Whisk together olive oil and lemon juice.

8. Pour dressing over other tabouli ingredients and mix well.

9. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

http://www.recipezaar.com/130805

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I think it is just going to be hot dogs tonight because hubby has school tonight and won't be home until around 9pm... I will mix it up a bit and open up the can of chili and we can have chili dogs :P

but the stuff I have is ground beef, chicken drumsticks, chicken breasts, some sgetti sauce, a little bit of rice, sgetti noodles, kraft dinner, frozen peas and chicken broth.. that is about it....

Hmmm....ok - here goes. :) Rice, cooked in the chicken broth, with the chicken breasts would make a good entreé. Mix rice, broth together (butter, salt, pepper if you have it), lay chicken breasts in rice mix...bake at 400f til chicken is done and rice is tender. Peas on the side and if you have SR flour, milk, and mayo you can make Mayonnaise Popovers. Mix flour, milk and mayo to make a thick muffin like mixture, spoon into muffin tins and bake. 350f till brown on top. Depending on what the Kraft dinner is (mac n cheese?) you could mix it with the ground beef.

Hope it helps some...I know what it's like trying to be creative on a VERY limited pantry!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Hmmm....ok - here goes. :) Rice, cooked in the chicken broth, with the chicken breasts would make a good entreé. Mix rice, broth together (butter, salt, pepper if you have it), lay chicken breasts in rice mix...bake at 400f til chicken is done and rice is tender. Peas on the side and if you have SR flour, milk, and mayo you can make Mayonnaise Popovers. Mix flour, milk and mayo to make a thick muffin like mixture, spoon into muffin tins and bake. 350f till brown on top. Depending on what the Kraft dinner is (mac n cheese?) you could mix it with the ground beef.

Hope it helps some...I know what it's like trying to be creative on a VERY limited pantry!

thanks for the ideas :thumbs:

yeah, I grew up like that ... my mom was always inventing stuff :lol: most of the time it actually turned out good...

some days I just don't feel like figuring out something to make though.. :blink:

yeah Kraft dinner is mac and cheese.. it is called Kraft Dinner in Canada...

tomorrow I am going to make sgetti and meatballs, I think....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I ended up having to work really late, so I had some raw carrots and fresh pineapple chunks at work, then a slice of frozen pizza hubby had made when I got home. I think tomorrow I am going to make something with chicken thighs in the crockpot. I might have to search the Recipe thread for an easy sauce to put over it :)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Timeline
I ended up having to work really late, so I had some raw carrots and fresh pineapple chunks at work, then a slice of frozen pizza hubby had made when I got home. I think tomorrow I am going to make something with chicken thighs in the crockpot. I might have to search the Recipe thread for an easy sauce to put over it :)

this one is yummy... I usually do it in the oven but I don't see why it wouldn't work in the crock pot on low.... my hubby says the sauce tastes like the Jack Daniel sauce from TGI FRIDAYS....

Ugly Naked Chicken

8 pieces bone-in skinless chicken

garlic powder, to taste

salt, to taste

black pepper, to taste

1/3 cup honey

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/8 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium)

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/8 cup lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Place chicken pieces in a 9x13" casserole sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

3. Generously sprinkle chicken pieces with garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste on both sides.

4. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, in a microwaveable bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, butter, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice and heat on HIGH power for about 30-45 seconds, or until butter melts and you can easily stir ingredients together- watch carefully so you don't overheat it and end up with a melted butter mess in your microwave.

6. After chicken has baked for the 40 minutes, pour the honey mixture all over the chicken and bake another 10 minutes, flip chicken over, bake another 10 minutes longer or until chicken is cooked all the way through and is tender.

7. Note: If you prefer your chicken"dressed," go ahead and leave the skin on.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Does someone have a copy of any of Gordon Ramsey's cookbooks or even an e-book? If i were a cook, he would be my idol hahaha. but right now, i can make scrambled eggs and toast :(

k-1

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays tongue.png)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Medical Exam: 2008-01-24

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11---APPROVEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry : 2008-02-20

Church Marriage : 2008-05-03

POE @ Edmonton International Airport: 2008-02-20

Courthouse marriage: 2008-02-26

ROC

ROC Filed with CSC: 2010-04-13

NOA1 recieved in mail dated: 2010-04-15

Biometrics Appointment: 2010-05-17

Approval Notice: 2010-08-03

Card Received: 2010-08-13

N-400:

N-400 sent 2013-12-02

NOA:|12/09/13|

BIOMETRICS:|12/27/13|

IN-LINE for INTERVIEW 12/31/13

Timeline
Does someone have a copy of any of Gordon Ramsey's cookbooks or even an e-book? If i were a cook, he would be my idol hahaha. but right now, i can make scrambled eggs and toast :(

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/gordon-ramsay/

http://www.foodieview.com/food/recipes/gordon_ramsay.jsp

mvSuprise-hug.gif

We had some awesome pulled pork yesterday. I put it in a dry rub for 2 hours, then the oven for 4 hours. Homemade potato salad, pork and beans....very yummy. The tabooli recipe I have calls for a whole cucumber, and a whole green pepper along with the tomatoes all cut up small in it. I also put in shredded carrots and some sunflower seeds. It's very very good. Gene has a pot luck lunch at work on Thursday and wants to make some of that up for the group. Very different from the usual fare.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

well, we did end up having chili dogs but they were actually quite good... I used a can of Hormel Chili with no beans... I think so far it is one of the best canned chilis we have tried...

today I plan on making sgetti and meatballs... I make a mean meatball but don't ask me for the recipe because I don't have one :P I just put in a little of this and a little of that.... and I just use a jarred sauce but the sauce I use is very yummy... I usually fry up some onions and bell peppers and then add the sauce but I only have onion right now... and then i serve it all over angel hair pasta.. my hubby likes that pasta the best....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

well, we did end up having chili dogs but they were actually quite good... I used a can of Hormel Chili with no beans... I think so far it is one of the best canned chilis we have tried...

today I plan on making sgetti and meatballs... I make a mean meatball but don't ask me for the recipe because I don't have one :P I just put in a little of this and a little of that.... and I just use a jarred sauce but the sauce I use is very yummy... I usually fry up some onions and bell peppers and then add the sauce but I only have onion right now... and then i serve it all over angel hair pasta.. my hubby likes that pasta the best....

I love making meatballs this way too Marilyn....actually I do most of my cooking like this. Just putting in a little of this, a little of that. Depends on what I have on hand. I don't usually use a jarred sauce, but I'm running out of my home canned stuff, so I'm on the look out for some jarred stuff I like. Angel hair pasta is MY favourite too!

Tonight I'm making zuchinni sausauge squares. A very quick good recipe. I usually have soup with it, or a salad. If anyone wants the recipe let me know. It's a variation of a recipe I found once years ago. I had it published in the paper here last summer.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.