Scott & Lai

Is it acceptable for a woman to hit a man?

Double standard..  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable for a woman to hit a man?

• Yes
    • No

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Make that eight now who believe in one-sided domestic violence; still no explanations...

Well, to be fair, you didn't ask them if it was ok for a man to hit a woman. Maybe they would say yes to that too, in which case it wouldn't be a double standard.

I did state in the OP as a given that men shouldn't be hitting women...I didn't think I'd have to ask whether that was ok.

Alright, well still I think you're jumping to a conclusion by saying that these people advocate one-sided "domestic violence". Was the poll limited to romantic relationships?

Is it ok for a woman to hit another woman? A man to hit another man? A woman to slap a man who makes an unwanted sexual advance (not a physical threat, but a harassing comment etc.)?

ETA: I think I know a few women who wouldn't hesitate to punch a guy who said something crass to her. I don't think that means they think it would be ok to go home and kick the ####### out of their husbands!

Edited by Jenn!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

8 people said yes :o:blink:

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Alright, well still I think you're jumping to a conclusion by saying that these people advocate one-sided "domestic violence". Was the poll limited to romantic relationships?

Is it ok for a woman to hit another woman? A man to hit another man? A woman to slap a man who makes an unwanted sexual advance (not a physical threat, but a harassing comment etc.)?

ETA: I think I know a few women who wouldn't hesitate to punch a guy who said something crass to her. I don't think that means they think it would be ok to go home and kick the ####### out of their husbands!

I'll create a new poll later with more options.....

Would these women think that if a woman says something crass (or otherwise offensive) to a man, then he would be justified in punching her?

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Timeline

Would these women think that if a woman says something crass (or otherwise offensive) to a man, then he would be justified in punching her?

Probably not. The reason would probably have something to do with men being stronger than women.

I just don't find it very shocking (and before anyone says anything, no I have never hit a man, or a woman for that matter!). I know that we shouldn't judge what is acceptable or not by what we see on TV, but I think that does play a role. How many movies can you think of where the outraged woman gives a pervy guy a good smack across the face and everyone in the audience laughs or cheers?

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
i had a friend, an alcholic and when drunk, was abusive to women that is, ask them to f##k etc..he deserved to be slapped with some of the comments he made to them....he finally got sober, and has tried to make amends for the rudeness he did..he volunteers at the women's center

maybe that's the kind of hitting the 8 people on this thread are referring to??? It's still not the ideal, but to get a guy to back off if a woman feels threatened? :wacko:

Agreed. I voted no, but I would say that if I was being attacked, I would certainly hit back.

However, I don't think it's acceptable for me to hit P (or whomever) just because I'm female and say "no you can't hit me though."

Which probably sounds like I think it's ok for a lot of slapping to occur :)

No.

But in self-defense, yes. Just as I would expect if some loony psycho beeyotch is attacking a guy for him to hit back.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline

Probably not. The reason would probably have something to do with men being stronger than women.

I just don't find it very shocking (and before anyone says anything, no I have never hit a man, or a woman for that matter!). I know that we shouldn't judge what is acceptable or not by what we see on TV, but I think that does play a role. How many movies can you think of where the outraged woman gives a pervy guy a good smack across the face and everyone in the audience laughs or cheers?

So, the determining factor is how hard a man in general can hit versus how hard a woman can? What about a particular woman who is stronger than a particular man?

Our timeline:

Our Photos

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Timeline

So, the determining factor is how hard a man in general can hit versus how hard a woman can? What about a particular woman who is stronger than a particular man?

That's probably not ok either. LOL, I don't really know. Maybe it goes back to, "pick on someone your own size"?

Timeline

That's probably not ok either. LOL, I don't really know. Maybe it goes back to, "pick on someone your own size"?

LOL! I was taught that it is unacceptable for a man to hit a woman, but it wasn't only about women supposedly being the "weaker sex." It was a respect issue. There was no suggestion that a man was allowed to hit a woman if she were stronger than he. But conversely, I don't believe it is acceptable for a woman to take advantage of the rule against men hitting women and think that women are allowed to hit men with impunity.

Our timeline:

Our Photos

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a rule with Mel- if he ever hits me, I hit him back.

He does like to smack my butt- which I don't really care for so I smack him back- hard.

Timeline
I have a rule with Mel- if he ever hits me, I hit him back.

He does like to smack my butt- which I don't really care for so I smack him back- hard.

Foreplay is different :P

Our timeline:

Our Photos

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
:o

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

with what?

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I slapped my hubby once :blush: we were having a disagreement and I got so frustrated with him that I slapped him...

right aways I felt so bad and guilty about it :crying:

I have never done that again, nor will I ever do that again... :no:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif