jason&Marla

Jamaica -- Phone problems?

81 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hey all- I just talked to McKoy and he said digicel has been running TV ads that they are coming out with a 1000 minute plan (the C&W plan was 990 minutes) for $1200 a month. So no matter what C&W does next month, we at least know we have an option with digicel!

McKoy and I have talked about buying a new chip so that we can use 2 cards per a month- because 32 hours is more what we are used to talking! If it works, we will save SOOO much money! Just though I'd pass these two thoughts on to everyone!

My SO actually signed up for it today. Its $999 for unlimited calling each month but you have to sign up for the service by Friday at midnight

Digicel Website

Mawnin Marie,

What you have to do by midnight Friday? This is for cell phone right. I can't wait for this to be over and he's here.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My wife just signed up for the Digicel plan as well ($999 for 16.6hrs a month)

Thank you Jesus!

Jason & Marla Stephens

I-130 TIME-LINE

mailed to TSC: 4/3/07

NOA1: 4/11/07

Touch: 7/24/07

NOA2: 10/10/07 (e-mail)

NOA2 hardcopy: 10/16/07

I-129f TIME-LINE

Met: 2/24/06

Married: 3/15/07

Visit my wife on: 4/29/ to 5/3/07

Mailed to Chicago: 5/17/07

NOA1: 5/23/07

Transferred to CSC 5/28/07

CSC recieved (pending): 6/05/07

Touch: 6/19/07

Touch: 8/13/07 on a Sun.?

Touch: 8/14/07 Getting Excited!!!

Visit my wife on: 9/30/07 thru 10/07/07

Called USCIS on: 10/10/07

NOA2 Hardcopy: 10/16/07

NVC recieved: 10/20/07

NVC mailed out: 10/31/07

Consulate recieved: 11/02/07

Pkt 3 sent out: 11/04/07 NEVER RECEIVED

Visit my wife on: 11/11/07 thru 12/02/07

Picked up Pkt3: 12/27/07 and dropped it off the same day

Medical: 02/28/08

Interview Date: 03/11/08 @ 8:00 am (got blue sheet for not having proof of filed I-130)

Follow up appt.: 04/24/08 12:30pm .... they are saying its a 2nd interview (APPROVED)

K3 Visa recieved: 05-14-08

US Entry: 05-15-08

Applied for EAD 08-20-08

EAD NOA1 08-28-08

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey all- I just talked to McKoy and he said digicel has been running TV ads that they are coming out with a 1000 minute plan (the C&W plan was 990 minutes) for $1200 a month. So no matter what C&W does next month, we at least know we have an option with digicel!

McKoy and I have talked about buying a new chip so that we can use 2 cards per a month- because 32 hours is more what we are used to talking! If it works, we will save SOOO much money! Just though I'd pass these two thoughts on to everyone!

My SO actually signed up for it today. Its $999 for unlimited calling each month but you have to sign up for the service by Friday at midnight

Digicel Website

Mawnin Marie,

What you have to do by midnight Friday? This is for cell phone right. I can't wait for this to be over and he's here.

Just watch that statement...........there are still LD phone calls. Ironically, it can be just as expensive those first few months he is here. You have to really talk about that and watch the calls.

Would it make you groan to know we are down to roughly just $20 a month in international LD charges now? Hang in there. Your time is coming.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Digicel Website

Mawnin Marie,

Just watch that statement...........there are still LD phone calls. Ironically, it can be just as expensive those first few months he is here. You have to really talk about that and watch the calls.

Would it make you groan to know we are down to roughly just $20 a month in international LD charges now? Hang in there. Your time is coming.

JG,

I told my fiance when he gets here, don't bother with it. Because there will be no long distance on the house phone and no international calling from the cell phone or I'll BRUCK is fingers. You know how much money I'm spending to call you now and then you want to come up and run up my phone bill...that is not going to work.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

tep aff a mi name

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Digicel Website

Mawnin Marie,

Yup! Its for Digicel cell phones. He would have to send a specific text to Digicel and they would add the service, but my SO was skeptical so he went to Digicel to have it added. He's going to sell his megaphone because he didn't like having to carry two phones at once.

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

Timeline

$20!!! I would LOVE that when my So comes here. One $5 phone card each week :lol:

JG,

I told my fiance when he gets here, don't bother with it. Because there will be no long distance on the house phone and no international calling from the cell phone or I'll BRUCK is fingers. You know how much money I'm spending to call you now and then you want to come up and run up my phone bill...that is not going to work.

I told mine the same thing!! Only that I would bruck more than his fingers lol

Edited by Marie87

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

NVC Timeline

$20!!! I would LOVE that when my So comes here. One $5 phone card each week :lol:

JG,

I told mine the same thing!! Only that I would bruck more than his fingers lol

DWL..............mi deh yah a dead.

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

Well, I didn't think about it at first. The first bill was under $100 and while I was relieved, I was still spitting mad.

You can tell him all you want, but I guarentee you will have to continually tell him the first few months. Friends and family will call and say call me back and he'll not even consider the consequences.

Texts, taking pictures with the phone and sending via media messages or the computer.....all things that cost, they do think about it, and you need to watch.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Well, I didn't think about it at first. The first bill was under $100 and while I was relieved, I was still spitting mad.

You can tell him all you want, but I guarentee you will have to continually tell him the first few months. Friends and family will call and say call me back and he'll not even consider the consequences.

Texts, taking pictures with the phone and sending via media messages or the computer.....all things that cost, they do think about it, and you need to watch.

JG,

I'll keep that in mind. My cousin went through that the 1st 6 months her fiance came to New York. Since he didn't work for almost a year, the first bill was $1500 plus. He kept telling her how things are cheap in America. She nearly knocked him out with the dutchpot. I think in total for the 1st 6 months her bills came to nearly $6000.00...you're right...they just don't get it. I told her from the first bill to lock it down, but she has a business in Jamaica and she calls there a lot. I told her to get it so you have to use a CODE or something. Those phone calls were to his family, friends and his KIDS MOTHERS (serious beat down for that); and of course, all these calls were made during the day while she was at work. I WOULD HAVE PLUGGED OUT ALL THE DAMN PHONES IN THE HOUSE. When he first came to New York he spoke to his children's mother for hours everyday for the 1st month. He told my cousin he was given her specific instructions on what to do while he was in the states...I didn't get that. KNOCK HIS A$$ OUT YES, with the DUTCHPOT

tep aff a mi name

Timeline

JG,

I'll keep that in mind. My cousin went through that the 1st 6 months her fiance came to New York. Since he didn't work for almost a year, the first bill was $1500 plus. He kept telling her how things are cheap in America. She nearly knocked him out with the dutchpot. I think in total for the 1st 6 months her bills came to nearly $6000.00...you're right...they just don't get it. I told her from the first bill to lock it down, but she has a business in Jamaica and she calls there a lot. I told her to get it so you have to use a CODE or something. Those phone calls were to his family, friends and his KIDS MOTHERS (serious beat down for that); and of course, all these calls were made during the day while she was at work. I WOULD HAVE PLUGGED OUT ALL THE DAMN PHONES IN THE HOUSE. When he first came to New York he spoke to his children's mother for hours everyday for the 1st month. He told my cousin he was given her specific instructions on what to do while he was in the states...I didn't get that. KNOCK HIS A$$ OUT YES, with the DUTCHPOT

Yikes!! $6000 for 6 months is crazy!

JG - Do you have any phone bill saving tips?

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

NVC Timeline

Timeline

mi a tell u mi nah wait pon no 1st bill..affi lay dung the "rules" to survival....couple times hubby didn't get how the phone card thing worked and dialed directly cause he kept pressign send when he put the # in..and dats I needed just 3 minutes is enough..WATCH WA U A DO NUH..mi cyan pay no huge phone bil..and thank goodness he has been very very good...thank God

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

JG,

Yikes!! $6000 for 6 months is crazy!

JG - Do you have any phone bill saving tips?

Well, I tout 3UTelecom over and over again. They have done right by us for the last 3 years or so.

Some people prefer phone cards. They are not for me; but whatever works, works.

And, like I said, you just have to sit him down with the phone bill and go over and over the costs of it all. My husband had a problem with clicking on this on the internet that automatically signed us up for things that cost our phone bill $19.95 a month and such.....like ring tones and all that. Another thing you have to watch for.

All in all, until it comes up, you just wont' know what you need to deal with. I would say in the beginning, really watch the phone calls. They add up so quickly. And, I swear everyone and their brother will say call me back. I got to where I watched the times and costs of calls on a daily basis on phone co. website. I eventually asked if he could cut down calls to his mother to just a few times a week and friends to once every week or two. His sister lives in NY, so that was free calls. Today, he's down to his mom maybe once a week and he calls other friends maybe once a month. Most have dropped out like flies.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Whoa! $6000! Now thats just plain crazy. I gotta blame the both of them for that one. Cause she shoulda locked off that phone quick quick after the 1st month.

I mean, i understand the need to call your friends and family cause you miss home and all, but thats a bit excessive. I won't have that problem, cuase I locked off my phone to my own self. LOL!! I can't make long distance calls on my home phone let alone international. And my cell phone can't call internationally without me having the cell company set that up. So there is no room for error. I just use calling cards. I used IDTCalls cause you can purcahse the cardsonline and not have to reenter your pin and stuff. Otherwise its Ringyard. Hubby uses his services (that keep changing) down in JA. I think when he comes i'll continue with the calling cards or just buy his mom and grandma the unlimted/16hr a month plan down there. Once they use all the minutes for the month then oh well. I fugure its only $20 or so, so we should be able to afford that.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I will also buy my SO's family the 16hr plan and they can call my wife. If my wife needs to talk to them, she can text them and they can call, instead of her calling them. That's what I do now, if I need to talk to my wife, I text her then she calls me back.

Jason & Marla Stephens

I-130 TIME-LINE

mailed to TSC: 4/3/07

NOA1: 4/11/07

Touch: 7/24/07

NOA2 hardcopy: 10/16/07

I-129f TIME-LINE

Met: 2/24/06

Married: 3/15/07

Visit my wife on: 4/29/ to 5/3/07

Mailed to Chicago: 5/17/07

NOA1: 5/23/07

Transferred to CSC 5/28/07

CSC recieved (pending): 6/05/07

Touch: 6/19/07

Touch: 8/13/07 on a Sun.?

Touch: 8/14/07 Getting Excited!!!

Visit my wife on: 9/30/07 thru 10/07/07

Called USCIS on: 10/10/07

NOA2 Hardcopy: 10/16/07

NVC recieved: 10/20/07

NVC mailed out: 10/31/07

Consulate recieved: 11/02/07

Pkt 3 sent out: 11/04/07 NEVER RECEIVED

Visit my wife on: 11/11/07 thru 12/02/07

Picked up Pkt3: 12/27/07 and dropped it off the same day

Medical: 02/28/08

Interview Date: 03/11/08 @ 8:00 am (got blue sheet for not having proof of filed I-130)

Follow up appt.: 04/24/08 12:30pm .... they are saying its a 2nd interview (APPROVED)

K3 Visa recieved: 05-14-08

US Entry: 05-15-08

Applied for EAD 08-20-08

EAD NOA1 08-28-08

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Digicel Website

Mawnin Marie,

JG,

AMEN TO DAT Lawny!!! :thumbs::thumbs: I just added up all my cell phone bills since Nov 2006 (met Ken)...AT&T has gotten almost $11,000..U.S. of my HARD-EARNED money in the last 14 months (and that's wid 3 months of that blasted rip-hoff Mega-phone)! When Ken gets here dat need fi LACK-HOFF!!! Gwaan ah deh corner store han guh buy a phone cyard!!

Bless-ed,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.