NancyB

Changing your name to your father in law first name

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
I'm afraid this depends on the region. My last name is Mouttaki (my husband's last name) and that is not his father's first name. I'm pretty sure the same holds true through most of West and Northern African Muslim nations (aside from Egypt) as well as the Asiatic Muslims. Maybe do a little more reasearch as this is not the case everywhere and really is true only for the handful or so of levantine countries.

Can't speak for all countries but in Libya this is how people are named. My husband has a tribe name preceded by way too many other names, but on his paperwork in the US it's his name, his father's name, his grandfather's name and his great-grandfather's name as his last name. Some docs leave off the grandfather's name. I thought this was the common manner of naming in any muslim region, regardless of whether they are Arab or not.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

What im asking is if you only have put 3 names on the I 130 and on the passport he has 5 ( the last being his tribal name) what trouble if any will that cause . the i130 petition is approved. now he is filling out the packet 3. does he keep it at 3 names or match it to his passport??

Myheartwillgoon

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'm afraid this depends on the region. My last name is Mouttaki (my husband's last name) and that is not his father's first name. I'm pretty sure the same holds true through most of West and Northern African Muslim nations (aside from Egypt) as well as the Asiatic Muslims. Maybe do a little more reasearch as this is not the case everywhere and really is true only for the handful or so of levantine countries. Changing of the last name is a preferance and quite honestly I'm proud to share the name of my husband and children. Good thing we live in the US where we have the choice. As a Muslim I've not experienced any backlash against this and his family was really touched actually that I wanted to carry the same name.

I have to agree w/ Amera. This is also not the case in my husband's family. They all share a same last name which is not the father's first name. I chose to take this name also b/c we wanted to share a family name as well. So, I now go by Noura Maiden name Married name. However, for the ease of my business, I still use only my maiden name there. I figured my clients had already been through enough change w/ my maiden name, former married name, back to maiden name. I love sharing my husband's name.

I did not want to change my last name to my husband's name. My husband would ask me constantly to change it. For his b'day last month, I chanaged it. He was extremely happy. We are having a child together so it was time to change it. I am (like me~n~ him) Julie maiden name husband's last name.

My husband's last name is the family name, not the first name of the father or grandfather.

My husband and I are like Noura. We share both of our last names. :dance: Any children we have will also. Interesting information though Nancy. I had heard that muslim women don't take the name of their husband, but I could not be married and keep just my maiden name. Just wouldn't feel married, but that is my hang up. :unsure: I know it works for others.

I do not understand how you guys share last names. Can you explain it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
What im asking is if you only have put 3 names on the I 130 and on the passport he has 5 ( the last being his tribal name) what trouble if any will that cause . the i130 petition is approved. now he is filling out the packet 3. does he keep it at 3 names or match it to his passport??

Write it to match the passport and attach a note stating the problem that happened with the I130.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Write it to match the passport and attach a note stating the problem that happened with the I130.

the only thing about that is that there is not enough room to put his 5 names and do we put the 2nd through the 4th as middle name maybe?

Myheartwillgoon

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We did a signed and dated addendum for the middle portion of the name and this was acceptable.

the only thing about that is that there is not enough room to put his 5 names and do we put the 2nd through the 4th as middle name maybe?

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

my husband has one first name and one last name but sometimes they will use his dads first name as his middle but his passport only has first and last name. i know our marriege certificate they put my name then my dads name as my middle and then my last.

i took my husbands last name. when i was filling out our immigration papers i asked him for the correct spelling...alk or al-k and he said no hypen in it. why do u need to know this...i saidso when i start changing my name on everything i need to know exactally how to do it...he said why do u change your name and i said, cuz im your headache now so we should have the same last name. he said but in syria the woman dont change her last name so this is a good thing. im happy u will have my last name...donna alkh....sounds musical. so then i sent him a letter in the mail with my new last name and his friends ask why is her last name the same as urs? the told them the story and they said that is nice, i wish my wive could have my last name.

so they all thougt it was pretty cool.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

My Dh has 4 names and we did his first name, first middle name (father's name) then the family name-- and it's how he is listed on any Jordanian documents which shorten his name as well. This is also how Americans who name their kids more than 3 names will do it usually-- we only have 3 legal names, and the rest are just kept in some other kind of way-- memory, hand-written documents, etc. Some people choose to put hyphens in their kids' names in order to retain multiple names beyond 3. The key is consistency-- just send in a note like an above poster said, explain the situation, and a copy of the passport.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Again! I'm proven right! Most of these men would say anything to get to Paradise America, sorry! I had to say it. " In Syria, his friends was happy" LOL! What a bunch of losers! Okay I'm saying this because your passport is blue. It's a inside joke. I'm not picking on you personally. We have heard it all. They would tell you it's cool if he had to change his name, lol! Most only see "Dream America" LOL!

Write back in 3 years and tell me if he wont have a freaking attitude about something. I don't wish this on anyone, really I don't.

I don't know how many men come to the masjid just complaining about the stupidest #######. I really wish they would be honest with your ladies and I mean totally honest.

"Not without my daughter was something I didn't want to ever say happens, but it does. Ladies, trust me on this. Keep your names. Anyone who has been married before, and have since re-married. How was it after the first divorce to still be known by your ex-husbands name?

I hope most of you listen. I know some of you won't. I'm just speaking to the ones who never knew this about naming children after their fathers and how clever it is, especially when some fathers want to dis-own their children. If he signs that darn birth certificate...Mohammed, Khadijah, is officially his...I'm going off now, because I see so much deceit from these men, it drives me nutzzzzzzz!

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I'm afraid this depends on the region. My last name is Mouttaki (my husband's last name) and that is not his father's first name. I'm pretty sure the same holds true through most of West and Northern African Muslim nations (aside from Egypt) as well as the Asiatic Muslims. Maybe do a little more reasearch as this is not the case everywhere and really is true only for the handful or so of levantine countries. Changing of the last name is a preferance and quite honestly I'm proud to share the name of my husband and children. Good thing we live in the US where we have the choice. As a Muslim I've not experienced any backlash against this and his family was really touched actually that I wanted to carry the same name.

I have to agree w/ Amera. This is also not the case in my husband's family. They all share a same last name which is not the father's first name. I chose to take this name also b/c we wanted to share a family name as well. So, I now go by Noura Maiden name Married name. However, for the ease of my business, I still use only my maiden name there. I figured my clients had already been through enough change w/ my maiden name, former married name, back to maiden name. I love sharing my husband's name.

I did not want to change my last name to my husband's name. My husband would ask me constantly to change it. For his b'day last month, I chanaged it. He was extremely happy. We are having a child together so it was time to change it. I am (like me~n~ him) Julie maiden name husband's last name.

My husband's last name is the family name, not the first name of the father or grandfather.

My husband and I are like Noura. We share both of our last names. :dance: Any children we have will also. Interesting information though Nancy. I had heard that muslim women don't take the name of their husband, but I could not be married and keep just my maiden name. Just wouldn't feel married, but that is my hang up. :unsure: I know it works for others.

I do not understand how you guys share last names. Can you explain it.

Most of them don't understand lineage, well they do. It's just they change the name of their own families to their husbands. So Jane William Doe as with most names in the MENA, they would delete their families name, and put their husbands family name. Some will add his name to their maiden name. For example Jane William Doe-Al Sharif, or Jane Al-Sharif.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Again! I'm proven right! Most of these men would say anything to get to Paradise America, sorry! I had to say it. " In Syria, his friends was happy" LOL! What a bunch of losers! Okay I'm saying this because your passport is blue. It's a inside joke. I'm not picking on you personally. We have heard it all. They would tell you it's cool if he had to change his name, lol! Most only see "Dream America" LOL!

Write back in 3 years and tell me if he wont have a freaking attitude about something. I don't wish this on anyone, really I don't.

I don't know how many men come to the masjid just complaining about the stupidest #######. I really wish they would be honest with your ladies and I mean totally honest.

"Not without my daughter was something I didn't want to ever say happens, but it does. Ladies, trust me on this. Keep your names. Anyone who has been married before, and have since re-married. How was it after the first divorce to still be known by your ex-husbands name?

I hope most of you listen. I know some of you won't. I'm just speaking to the ones who never knew this about naming children after their fathers and how clever it is, especially when some fathers want to dis-own their children. If he signs that darn birth certificate...Mohammed, Khadijah, is officially his...I'm going off now, because I see so much deceit from these men, it drives me nutzzzzzzz!

Thanks

I guess I need to go back and read the middle of this thread. When I read the beginning, I thought I wasn't supposed to take my husband's last name because I would lose the history of my lineage. Now when I return to check updates, the real reason I shouldn't have taken his name is because he's sure to leave me and I'll be stuck with his last name. *yawn* I was kind of enjoying the cultural lesson here, but now we've turned onto that tiresome and oft-traveled road once again, so me go night-night now.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.