JoeCanuk

Strange things you're not used to

772 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I knew someone was going to deliberately miss my entire point, and tell me there's a London in Texas :P;)

when they've got Kew Gardens, and Hackney churchyard, and Borough Market, and Columbia Road Market, and Abney Park Cemetery, and Stoke Newington Church Street, and Trafalgar Square, and Leicester Square, and Soho, and all my friends live there, let me know :P

I'm generally feeling ok about things here, but am feeling really down right now... been RIGHT through all my boxes, and a very special print of the Alhambra that I bought in Spain two years ago is missing :cry:

I've kept that safe for two years, against the day I could frame it and put it up somewhere permanent... now it's gone :(

as incredible as it seems, it must never have been packed at all... it was in a cardboard folder/envelope, so maybe got caught up with some rubbish or something during the packing process, but it just boggles my mind; I pointed it out to the packers and told them it had to be kept flat, and they were so good at caring for everything else

so today is not a good day :(

first tears on American soil :crying:

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Sorry, kid, there's no London in Texas. :P

There is, however, London, Ontario, Canada, which is not too far from where I live. One you have your Green Card, you can come visit me and we'll drive there together and see how it compares to the real London! :D

I'm very sorry to hear about your lost print and your sad day today. From what I've seen with my husband, the blues come and go. Thankfully, after 5 months here, they seem to be fewer and fewer.

As sad as you might be feeling today, you're the kind of gal who makes lemonade when life hands you lemons. An admirable quality!

I will be in London, UK on the 23rd of July! I'll pass along your regards.

*hugs*

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
But there is a London, TX

TX_26714.gif

I only know London, Ont from stopping at the Tim Hortons, as it is the halfway point between Detroit and Toronto

Yes, but not the London with all the cool places she mentioned above! Somehow I doubt the London in Otario isn't quite up to muster, either! :lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
I miss London :(

there's no London here, from what I can ascertain...

Ohhhh, now you're making me cry :cry:(F)

when they've got Kew Gardens, and Hackney churchyard, and Borough Market, and Columbia Road Market, and Abney Park Cemetery, and Stoke Newington Church Street, and Trafalgar Square, and Leicester Square, and Soho, and all my friends live there, let me know :P

I gotta get them all in before I go. Only 2 more weekends... I wish I could wrap up a little bit of London, and send it over to you. Don't suppose they could look for the print where you were living before you moved? If it wasn't packed, it may still be there?

Julez, how come your arriving just after I leave?? *stamps foot*

The UK Wiki

Filed: Timeline
I'm generally feeling ok about things here, but am feeling really down right now... been RIGHT through all my boxes, and a very special print of the Alhambra that I bought in Spain two years ago is missing :cry:

I've kept that safe for two years, against the day I could frame it and put it up somewhere permanent... now it's gone :(

as incredible as it seems, it must never have been packed at all... it was in a cardboard folder/envelope, so maybe got caught up with some rubbish or something during the packing process, but it just boggles my mind; I pointed it out to the packers and told them it had to be kept flat, and they were so good at caring for everything else

Awwwww. Big hugs, STP. post-21394-1215038362.gif I know exactly how you feel. I had purchased a beautiful watercolour from Polperro (England) and had it framed when I brought it back to Canada. That and the framed pic I have of myself, my sister, and my brother when we were babes are the only items which never got delivered by the movers. Lost. I was devastated. :(

I will be in Spain later this month. If you give me a link of the print you lost, I can try to find it for you?

*hugs*

:o I'll be there on the 31st! :dance:

And, yeah.... London, Ontario is nothing like London, England. But I'm up for a road trip, too! :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

awww, that's so sweet of you to offer to look for it... are you going to be in Granada?

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Timeline

no, no go... this was a print of the Alhambra, by a local artist; I doubt you'd find it anywhere else... but thank you SO much for offering :)

in a weird way, it's even sort of comforting that you had the same thing happen - not that I'm glad in any way, you understand, it just makes me feel not so pathetic, to feel so badly over a picture... I just loved the Alhambra so much, and I spent hours choosing that print - it was a limited edition lino cut, on a lovely thick piece of handmade parchment, and had an embossed seal in the paper, as well as the artist's signature... it wasn't that expensive, as paintings go, but it was more than I'd usually spend; I just loved it so much... and I'd never even displayed it; I'd kept it safe in its folder, and gotten it out every so often to look at it for a moment, ready for when I could get it out and put it in pride of place; that's what I was looking for when I started unpacking today, because I wanted to think about what frame to get and where to put it... it just symbolises everything I've lost, right now :(

I know you understand, Krikit :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Filed: Timeline

I have tears in my eyes. I know exactly what you mean. post-21394-1215038362.gif

It still bothers me that those pics are gone. But I deal with it by thinking that one day I'll get a big surprise and they'll be found again. I know to some who are reading our posts... this may not seem like a big deal.... but I think you have explained it perfectly. It's a symbol of all we have lost/given up.

I think I'll go shopping. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

I can't go shopping; I'm stuck in the burbs without a car :wacko:

London to here is a BIT of a contrast... I was dreaming of red buses last night :lol:

you won't believe this though... being a very deliberate purchaser, before I bought my print I looked at about a hundred, in all different shops, and narrowed it down to two... I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the money (I didn't have a job at the time; I was a supply teacher back then and it was summer ;) ) so I got the owner of the shop to write down the details of the two prints I was deciding between on a business card (so I had both the artist's name, and the name and phone number of the shop)

and because I am also a pack-rat, I just went through my travel box, and found the card, and rang them, and they said they'd have a look at their stock for me, but not to get my hopes up because it WAS two years ago that I'd bought it... well, I just heard from them, and they think they have a copy of the self-same print still in the store :o

I have a photo of mine, so I'm going to send it to them to compare, but I'm quite excited now :)

*much happier than yesterday*

*listening to the Pippin-bird twittering in the kitchen and feeling similarly*

:luv:

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Timeline

thank you, you lovely girls :)

it's funny; I'm pretty well-adjusted most of the time, but when I'd gone through those boxes in an increasing panic yesterday you would have thought the world was ending; I was in floods of tears and life just didn't seem worth living... I guess I'm not as well-adjusted as I thought ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.