carolineclair

Resident status to apply to University in NYC

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I am hoping to study in nYC for my masters in Education. I am English. Having looked into the costs involved my partner and i have wondered whether we should bring marriage plans forward in order for me to gain resident status and reduce my education costs. My query now is how long will it take fo me to be considered a resident? Hunter university has said 1 year but someone else said from 6months to 2 years?! Do you think it is from the date we marry or from the date my adjustment of status comes through...im so confused...maybe its different per school???

Any help appreciated!

Thank you

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I am hoping to study in nYC for my masters in Education. I am English. Having looked into the costs involved my partner and i have wondered whether we should bring marriage plans forward in order for me to gain resident status and reduce my education costs. My query now is how long will it take fo me to be considered a resident? Hunter university has said 1 year but someone else said from 6months to 2 years?! Do you think it is from the date we marry or from the date my adjustment of status comes through...im so confused...maybe its different per school???

Any help appreciated!

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You obtain resident status upon issuance of a Permanent Resident card. Marriage to a USC doesn't do the trick alone, you would still have to pay non-resident fees at the University/College.

It took me a year - from filing a K1 petition to having the actual Green Card in hand.

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hunter may be referring to "residency" in a different way than you. Usually to be considered a resident and qualify for lower tuition rates, they mean you have to show residency of the state, or in this case, New York City, for a year. They may not be referring to your official US permanent residency status. For example, a citizen born in the US living in another state in the US would not qualify for the reduced tuition until they were a resident of NYC for a year.

Hope this helps,

2NS

I-130 NOA1: 9/17/04

He picks up packet in Havana: late March/05

Interview at US Interests in Hav: 4/26/05

Informed of need for second security check

Dept of State completes security check: 5/17/05

He picks up Visa: 5/26/05

Arrived 7/22/05

Applied for removal of GC conditions 4/07

Interview for application to remove GC conditions 11/07

Received 10 year GC 12/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

The "residency" requirement for in-state tuition varies from school to school. For some schools it is a year or more and for others it is six months. Generally, however, they go by the date you filed for AOS as the beginning date for your residency (i.e., if the requirement is six months, the timer begins to count down from the date on your AOS NOA and you would qualify for in-state tuition six months from that date). That is assuming the address on your NOA is within the same state as the school you want to attend...

You should check with the school you wish to attend and learn how long you must be a resident in order to qualify for in-state tuition. Then decide if you want to wait or pay out of state prices for a semester or two...

Edited by tanyakaraman

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

:( i was hoping to be able to study in Salisbury University as soon as i got my green card but they told me that i wont be considered eligible for resident tuition fee until a year after i got my green card.... sux......

TIMELINE :

Nov 16th, 2006 Sent I-129F to VSC - overnighted

Nov 20th, 2006 NOA1

Dec 4th, 2006 NOA2 !!!!! Dang...that was fast.. thank you GOD....

Dec 12th, 2006 E-mail from NVC : Petition forwarded to US Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia

Dec 14th, 2006 E-mail from US Embassy in Jakarta : Packet 3

Jan 08th, 2007 Medical exam! --- Done! Dunno the result tho......... =/

Feb 06th, 2007 Sent packet 3 back to the Embassy with DHL!!!

Feb 15th, 2007 Packet 4 (By phone...)

Feb 22nd, 2007 Interview date!! - VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Apr 15th, 2007 POE : Detroit

May 04th, 2007 Barefoot wedding at Hutchinson Island, FL

May 09th, 2007 Applied for SSN

May 18th, 2007 SSN Received

June 9th, 2007 AOS + EAD paperwork sent

June 15th, 2007 NOA1 for AOS and EAD

June 18th, 2007 CHECKS CASHED (for both AOS and EAD)

July 10th, 2007 Biometrics Appt.

Aug 02nd, 2007 AOS transferred to CSC

Aug 22nd, 2007 EAD card production ordered!

Aug 29th, 2007 Greencard production ordered!!

Aug 31st, 2007 EAD card received

Sept 7th, 2007 2 Year Greencard received

June 24, 2009 I-751 sent (Priority Mail)

June 29, 2009 NOA 1

July 31, 2009 Biometrics

Oct 30, 2009 Card production ordered!!!

Nov 06, 2009 10 Year Greencard received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

How long you have to wait until you are considered residents varies as others have said, but one thing is sure - you do need to have a green card to even be considered before they chack how longyou have lived in the state.

At least this is my impression from the schools I have asked.

2007-03-26 I 129F Package sent

2007-03-29 NOA1 issued

2007-04-03 "touched"

2007-04-07 "touched" (Saturday)

2007-04-10 NOA!!!!!!!!Yoo-hooo

2007-04-11 "touched"

2007-04-19 consulate received

2007-04-24 Package 3 received

2007-05-21 Interview - Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007-05-23 Visa received

2007-08-28 JFK entry

2007-09-08 Married:)

2007-09-12 Sent AOS application

2007-09-14 AOS Received in Chicago

2007-09-24 NOA1 for GC, EAD, AP

2007-11-09 Biometrics app.

2007-11-XX EAD and AP received

2007-12-20 Transfered to CSC

2008-01-06 "touched"

2008-01-07 "touched"

2008-01-08 "touched"

2008-02-08 'touched"

2008-02-10 "touched"

2008-02-14 Card pruduction ordered :)

2008-02-15 "touched"

You don't have to have a green card to qualify for in-state tuition. What most residency classification people want to see is evidence of intent to establish a domicile in the state. Therefore, you would want to gather such evidence as your name on a lease and/or utility bill, a New York drivers license, stuff like that. How long you need to be a resident of the state varies, but 12 months is the standard. Your immigration status is relevant, of course, because you often need documentation such as an EAD to get a drivers license. You also need to show that you're in the U.S. legally.

I'm guessing that if you come over on a K-1 or K-3 and you and your fiance/spouse are living in New York from that point on, for NY tuition purposes, your residency clock would start when you entered the U.S.

Because I'm geek, I checked out Hunter's residency classification page: http://registrar.hunter.cuny.edu/forms/residency_form.pdf

On page 2, it says "Students in the United States on any temporary visa, (except A-1, A-2, A-3, E-1, E-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, G-5, H-1, H-4, I, K, L, N, R, S, T, U, V) are not eligible for classification as a New York State resident. Students with a Permanent Resident or a Refugee Visa, or any of the exceptions listed above, must submit the required documents listed below and submit the Visa and any official correspondence from the U.S. Department of Immigration having relevance to their status in the United States."

So, I think you're in luck re: residency for tuition purposes, as presumably you'd be coming on a K visa, which is listed as one of the exceptions. If you don't have your green card within 12 months of arrival, you could probably still get in-state tuition as long as you provided the appropriate documentation.

I looked into this for Arizona, where we live. My husband has been stuck in FBI name check (we applied for AOS two years ago) but would be eligible for in-state tuition even though he doesn't yet have his green card. His name is on a lease, he's had an Arizona drivers license for over a year (nearly two), SSN, W-2s from an Arizona-based employer, etc. A green card is not necessary, at least for AZ. From reading Hunter's docs, it's the same in NY. The key is 12 months of continuous residency in the state and the ability to prove it. And legal status in the U.S., of course (not necessarily a green card).

Good luck!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.