slavrina

Tourist visa for relatives

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Has anyone's relative got a tourist visa recently?What kind of questions were they asked?

Our k3 timeline

I-130

March 9 2004 - NOA1 from NSC

I-129

Apr 16 2004 - NOA1 from Chicago

October 20 - touched

October 27 2004 - NOA2

Interview

February 9 2005

We got the visa!!!

My sister-in-law was issued a 90 day visitor visa in Dec. through the consul in Vladivostok. She was asked some pretty basic stuff:

Why do you want to go to the U.S. and what are you going to do while you're there?

When do you plan on going and how long will you stay?

Who are you going to see?

When and why are you going to come back to Russia?

She said it was like a two minute process from start to finish. Small talk, really. "Blah, blah, blah..... approved!"

(The application she submitted was filled out for the purpose of a holiday visit and she stuck with that story at the interview.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Slim, is she married? Does she have kids? These questions are important because Russians have to prove that they won't stay here, thay we'll go back to Russia.

Our k3 timeline

I-130

I-129

October 20 - touched

October 27 2004 - NOA2

Interview

February 9 2005

We got the visa!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
My sister-in-law was issued a 90 day visitor visa in Dec. through the consul in Vladivostok
Only a 90 day visa? That is interesting. Because the website says if you do get a visa it will be the 1 year kind. Strange, thanks for the update.

"Russian citizens applying for tourist visas, in nearly all cases, receive visas valid for one year. However, they may ask for a visa valid for two years. If the visa is approved, the applicant must pay an additional $100 at that time in order to receive the visa valid for two years."

http://www.usembassy.ru/consular/consular....ecord_id=nivfaq

But Vladivostok does not mention this answer to a FAQ the way Moscow and Yekaterinburg do.

Edited by Satellite

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

10 years is the norm for a B2.

Shorter periods are unusual, may be the norm in Russia. Ocassionally you see single entry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Slim, is she married? Does she have kids? These questions are important because Russians have to prove that they won't stay here, thay we'll go back to Russia.

She is not married and has no kids. She is not employed and does not own a car but does own a flat. No other significant assets or income. The only actual "money" listed for her trip was on my I-134 sponsorship info and proof of ownership for her flat. She has worked in Asia several times and used this money to support herself upon return to Russia. Maybe that helped, maybe it didn't, I don't think it was even addressed at the interview.

When I filled out the visa petition for her (DS-156) I listed her occupation as a student at a local university in her city. Where it said purpose of trip and duration of stay I listed "to visit LPR sister and family for holidays" or something to that effect.

When she went to the interview, she took registration documents from the university, proof of ownership of her flat and the responses to the interview questions were along the lines of "I want to visit my sister and brother-in-law and spend a little time with them over the holidays and then I have to come back and go back to school."

I previously thought it would be impossible for her to get a visitor visa as the common concensus is young, unmarried women are NEVER issued visitor visas unless they have some very strong ties to go back. However, after hearing a few cases of visas being issued recently (and her getting one, obviously!) I know it's not impossible. As to why she got one when it's been traditionally so hard for other women I believe there are several reasons (and this is just slim theorizing, not USCIS gospel or anything) a few of which are:

1. She has a valid reason to go to the U.S. and then go home. "Go see my sister then come back and study."

2. She has a permanent home in Russia. "Here is the ownership paper for my flat... that I live in."

3. She fits the profile of someone who has an active life in their home country and therefore no need (or desire) to come to the U.S. and become a public charge.

4. She has visited several other countries (often with "nicer" financial situations than Russia) and returned home with no visa issues.

5. I filled out her visa petition and my financial support documents in a way to clearly illustrate the intended purpose of her trip and her intention to go home. (So they were filled out by someone with a good understanding of English who was able to prove financial responsibility for the intending visitor... who had previously petitioned for and complied with visa regulations and procedures for sponsoring their relative.)

6. Word around the campfire in Vladivostok was there was a new C/O who was "soft" on issuing visas to anyone provided they got them in for the holidays.

Now, is any of this true or is it the reason the visa was issued? I don't know and I won't be saying "this is why she got it for sure" but I will say I simply put myself in the C/O's shoes and asked myself if I was looking at her petition did I see a girl that wanted to go to and stay in the U.S. or did I see a girl that wanted to go see her sister and then come back to her normal life? That's the picture we painted and that's what the visa was issued based on. Supporting facts around the case were - here's a girl with a pretty decent life already who wants to visit a family member (that has decent money) for a set period of time and then she wants to get on with her life AT HOME.

Connect the dots. They want to see a certain petitioner. I think now the "Russian girls don't get visitor visas" myth is true in one aspect and completely untrue in another. Russian girls with no job who are trying to take a $5,000 visit to the U.S. to "sightsee" and don't have a financial sponsor, don't have a purpose in the U.S. and who only have a mom or dad back in Russia to come home to, they're not issued visas because they are, most likely, coming to the U.S. to meet a guy or gain some type of employment and could possibly stay forever, both of which are not valid reasons to get a visitor visa. However, those that are trully coming to visit family and the family is willing to provide financial sponsorship, that shows the C/O that maybe the young, unmarried girl simply misses her family member but doesn't necessarily share their views of marrying an American husband and will most likely visit, then go home.

I also believe the "sponsorship" packet that you send to them is crucial in visa issuance. Even though it's "their" petition for a visa, it's really "your" petition for them to come visit you for a while.... and then go home!

Only a 90 day visa? That is interesting. Because the website says if you do get a visa it will be the 1 year kind. Strange, thanks for the update.

Actually, I'm unaware as to the expiration of visa after entry. I know it must be used within 90 days of issuance however after asking my wife several times about this she said she's not sure becuase they never really talked about it, only that she has to come here within the next 90 days. It very well could be a one year, single entry visa (and probably is) but I'm not 100% sure as I haven't actually talked to my sister-in-law about it.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Actually, I'm unaware as to the expiration of visa after entry. I know it must be used within 90 days of issuance however after asking my wife several times about this she said she's not sure because they never really talked about it, only that she has to come here within the next 90 days. It very well could be a one year, single entry visa (and probably is) but I'm not 100% sure as I haven't actually talked to my sister-in-law about it.
Like I said before, if they issue a tourist visa at all it is generally good for one year and is multi entry. And once you do enter, the POE usually grants 6 months of authorized stay. The visa typically begins on the date of the interview and expires one year from that day. Usually giving the bearer almost a year to enter.

Timeline

Slim, thanks a lot for your thoughtful and detailed explanation. It was lots of work, lots of typing. I'm really grateful and really appreciate it.

You used a right approach when you were prepearing for your sister-in- law's interview. You did everything thoroughly and took into account different detailes. I'm impressed.

Our k3 timeline

I-130

I-129

October 20 - touched

October 27 2004 - NOA2

Interview

February 9 2005

We got the visa!!!

Like I said before, if they issue a tourist visa at all it is generally good for one year and is multi entry. And once you do enter, the POE usually grants 6 months of authorized stay. The visa typically begins on the date of the interview and expires one year from that day. Usually giving the bearer almost a year to enter.

As far as I know, and this is hearing only my wife relating what her sister told her, the visa must be used before sometime in March (which would be 90 days after issuance) and I haven't heard anything (positive or speculative) on the duration of authorized stay or number of entries.

She's planning on visiting soon, so I should know within a few weeks. I'll be sure to update.

Slim, thanks a lot for your thoughtful and detailed explanation. It was lots of work, lots of typing.

You're welcome. That's why we're here on VJ. I learned so much from being on here and attribute being married to my wife right now because of the good people in this forum. My only hope is I can give something back to someone so they can enjoy the success of the VJ process and spend time with their loved ones as well.

As for it being thoughtful and a lot of work and a lot of typing...... I spent several years working for Uncle Sam and filling out so many forms that I lost count. I learned that there's a certain way govt. forms are supposed to look and to the people looking over hundreds or thousands of forms, it's really a joy to get one that's "perfect." Get yours as close to perfect as possible (or just make their day easier!) and they're way more likely to approve it.

If you're interested, you can PM me with your situational details and we could go over a few things that could increase your probability for success. I'm not saying I can guarantee your relative will get approved, but I can say if you follow the guides and suggestions here on VJ you will increase your chances for success. I have proof of that sitting here with me every day... and more proof on the way!

I'm really grateful and really appreciate it.

I'm impressed.

I wish my wife was also impressed by my VJ addiction. The thanks I get from her is "you again waste your time on Visa Journey blat?"

Русский форум член.

Actually, I'm unaware as to the expiration of visa after entry. I know it must be used within 90 days of issuance however after asking my wife several times about this she said she's not sure because they never really talked about it, only that she has to come here within the next 90 days. It very well could be a one year, single entry visa (and probably is) but I'm not 100% sure as I haven't actually talked to my sister-in-law about it.

You're pretty close, Satellite. I confirmed it with her a few days ago (forgot to update) and it is a one year, single entry visa that expires one year from the date of issuance. It has to be used within 90 days or it's voided. (Unsure how that works, I'll have to check it out once she gets here.)

Still planning/preping the trip. Will update a little more after her arrival.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
You're pretty close, Satellite. I confirmed it with her a few days ago (forgot to update) and it is a one year, single entry visa that expires one year from the date of issuance. It has to be used within 90 days or it's voided. (Unsure how that works, I'll have to check it out once she gets here.)
Slim, here is a link to a sample US visa.

http://www.antiscam.net/marina_smyrnova/ma...ova_visa_b2.jpg

I just did a google search for one, and it just happen to come from this website. Anyway, are you sure under entries it says "1" instead of "M". And where is the 90 days to use notation, down at the bottom as a special note? This visa I image I posted, actually is only good for 90 days but it was issued in 2005, so the rules might have been different then. Your sister-in-laws as you pointed out expires in exactly on year.

Just curious.

Slim, here is a link to a sample US visa.

http://www.antiscam.net/marina_smyrnova/ma...ova_visa_b2.jpg

I just did a google search for one, and it just happen to come from this website. Anyway, are you sure under entries it says "1" instead of "M". And where is the 90 days to use notation, down at the bottom as a special note? This visa I image I posted, actually is only good for 90 days but it was issued in 2005, so the rules might have been different then. Your sister-in-laws as you pointed out expires in exactly on year.

Just curious.

We did kind of a 3rd party phone conversation through my wife. I wrote down a few things and had her write the answers down and tell me what her sister was saying. From what I could gather there was a number 1 under the entries section. I asked her to ask "number of entries authorized" and she wrote down the number 1. I asked for the issue and expiration date and it was sometime in December until one year later in December. When I asked about the 90 days thing she just shook her head and said yes.

I was more concerned with "when's she coming, for how long, what's she going to do while she's here, who's going to pay for it all, etc." than the actual details fo the visa. I'm curious too but since they're not "VJ junkies" like us, I'll have to wait until she actually gets here to find out. After her arrival, I'll take a look at it and post details.

Русский форум член.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
Has anyone's relative got a tourist visa recently?What kind of questions were they asked?

There is no U.S. tourist visa actually. It is called a visitor's visa for pleasure. While the eligibility criteria for this visa sounds pretty clear and simple, people have a lot of difficulty and confusion understanding and accepting it...

In order to be found eligible for a B-2 nonimmigrant visitor for pleasure, applicant must prove that they qualify strictly according to the following criteria: An alien having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning and who is visiting the United States temporarily for pleasure.

Under the immigrant intent presumption of INA 214( b ), every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant (requiring an immigrant visa) until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer at the time of application for a visa that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status.

So, digesting that:

(1) Applicant must have a residence abroad. This is a basic and fundamental requirement.

(2) The applicant convincingly, by a preponderance of evidence, will not abandon the residence abroad.

(3) The purpose of the trip is a visit for pleasure. (invitation letter typically for family visits)

(4) The visit is temporary in nature and contemplated duration.

(5) The applicant is generally admissable to the U.S. and not likely to become a public charge or overstay the 6-month period of admission.

Compelling ties (a combination of family & economic) to the residence abroad are normally required to show that not likely the applicant intends to abandon the residence abroad and meets these criteria. Any existing compelling ties to the U.S. are normally are weighed against the compelling ties to the residence abroad in rendering the decision.

There is no appeal or further review of the decision available, however the applicant may re-apply as often as they like to have any new evidence considered. Each case is individually decided based on the individual's unique situation and circumstances.

Edited by Chris Parker

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

slim,

Where did you get the idea to do an I-134 for a B visa? It sounds like a good idea, and I guess that it certainly must have helped your sister-in-law's case. Tania wants to have her daughter (21 years old) here for our wedding, and I'm looking ahead as to how best to make that happen. To her daughter's advantage, she has been to the U.S. each of the past two summers as part of a student work/travel program. I believe that she had a J visa for those visits.

By the way, is your wife from Vladivostok?

Thanks,

Don

She is not married and has no kids. She is not employed and does not own a car but does own a flat. No other significant assets or income. The only actual "money" listed for her trip was on my I-134 sponsorship info and proof of ownership for her flat. She has worked in Asia several times and used this money to support herself upon return to Russia. Maybe that helped, maybe it didn't, I don't think it was even addressed at the interview.

When I filled out the visa petition for her (DS-156) I listed her occupation as a student at a local university in her city. Where it said purpose of trip and duration of stay I listed "to visit LPR sister and family for holidays" or something to that effect.

When she went to the interview, she took registration documents from the university, proof of ownership of her flat and the responses to the interview questions were along the lines of "I want to visit my sister and brother-in-law and spend a little time with them over the holidays and then I have to come back and go back to school."

I previously thought it would be impossible for her to get a visitor visa as the common concensus is young, unmarried women are NEVER issued visitor visas unless they have some very strong ties to go back. However, after hearing a few cases of visas being issued recently (and her getting one, obviously!) I know it's not impossible. As to why she got one when it's been traditionally so hard for other women I believe there are several reasons (and this is just slim theorizing, not USCIS gospel or anything) a few of which are:

1. She has a valid reason to go to the U.S. and then go home. "Go see my sister then come back and study."

2. She has a permanent home in Russia. "Here is the ownership paper for my flat... that I live in."

3. She fits the profile of someone who has an active life in their home country and therefore no need (or desire) to come to the U.S. and become a public charge.

4. She has visited several other countries (often with "nicer" financial situations than Russia) and returned home with no visa issues.

5. I filled out her visa petition and my financial support documents in a way to clearly illustrate the intended purpose of her trip and her intention to go home. (So they were filled out by someone with a good understanding of English who was able to prove financial responsibility for the intending visitor... who had previously petitioned for and complied with visa regulations and procedures for sponsoring their relative.)

6. Word around the campfire in Vladivostok was there was a new C/O who was "soft" on issuing visas to anyone provided they got them in for the holidays.

Now, is any of this true or is it the reason the visa was issued? I don't know and I won't be saying "this is why she got it for sure" but I will say I simply put myself in the C/O's shoes and asked myself if I was looking at her petition did I see a girl that wanted to go to and stay in the U.S. or did I see a girl that wanted to go see her sister and then come back to her normal life? That's the picture we painted and that's what the visa was issued based on. Supporting facts around the case were - here's a girl with a pretty decent life already who wants to visit a family member (that has decent money) for a set period of time and then she wants to get on with her life AT HOME.

Connect the dots. They want to see a certain petitioner. I think now the "Russian girls don't get visitor visas" myth is true in one aspect and completely untrue in another. Russian girls with no job who are trying to take a $5,000 visit to the U.S. to "sightsee" and don't have a financial sponsor, don't have a purpose in the U.S. and who only have a mom or dad back in Russia to come home to, they're not issued visas because they are, most likely, coming to the U.S. to meet a guy or gain some type of employment and could possibly stay forever, both of which are not valid reasons to get a visitor visa. However, those that are trully coming to visit family and the family is willing to provide financial sponsorship, that shows the C/O that maybe the young, unmarried girl simply misses her family member but doesn't necessarily share their views of marrying an American husband and will most likely visit, then go home.

I also believe the "sponsorship" packet that you send to them is crucial in visa issuance. Even though it's "their" petition for a visa, it's really "your" petition for them to come visit you for a while.... and then go home!

Actually, I'm unaware as to the expiration of visa after entry. I know it must be used within 90 days of issuance however after asking my wife several times about this she said she's not sure becuase they never really talked about it, only that she has to come here within the next 90 days. It very well could be a one year, single entry visa (and probably is) but I'm not 100% sure as I haven't actually talked to my sister-in-law about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.