B'sA

translate the police certificate?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Any docs in a foreign language must be translated, but you personally cannot translate them.

Congratulations, i can see you have a reason to celebrate!!!

Thanks! Yes, we are still celebrating! Good luck to you for the rest of your journey!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Any docs in a foreign language must be translated, but you personally cannot translate them.

You are certain about this? While each consulate has there own requirements, I bet you will find some that will in fact accept self translated documents if they are "fluent" in both languages

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

You are certain about this? While each consulate has there own requirements, I bet you will find some that will in fact accept self translated documents if they are "fluent" in both languages

I was under the impression that translations had to be completed by someone other than the petitioner or the beneficiary. However, I've been wrong before and I might just be wrong this time. It just seems a bit shady to me to do translations for yourself. *shrugs*

Timeline
I was under the impression that translations had to be completed by someone other than the petitioner or the beneficiary. However, I've been wrong before and I might just be wrong this time. It just seems a bit shady to me to do translations for yourself. *shrugs*

Well if you are referring to the USCIS requirements... If you read the model "certification" language they have on the website then there is nothing that would indicate that you cannot self translate as long as you meet the requirements...

In this situation however, the OP is talking about the consulate (police certificate for interview stage) and there is no longer a petitioner or benneficiary per se but a visa applicant. You may indeed find some consulates who will not accept any translation except from a licensed or certified translator.... but then again, some consulates may not be so particular. That is why it is so difficult to make any kind of "blanket" statement when you are at the consulate because "local procedures" very widely.....

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

i also think its important to mention here that if the police certificate is in the native language of the country where the interview is to be conducted, it is very likely that the embassy will accept it as is...in other words, my fiance got one police certificate from italy and another from albania...he was only required to translate the one from italy, because packet 3 specified that documents can be accepted in either english OR albanian

as far as whether or not the petitioner / beneficiary can translate the document themself, i think it varies by embassy...if youre planning on doing so, i would contact the embassy to ensure that they will accept it

Removal of Conditions NOA: 2/24/11

Biometrics Appt: 8/15/11

ROC Approval: 9/30/11

Card Production Ordered: 10/11/11

Card Received: 10/15/11

i also think its important to mention here that if the police certificate is in the native language of the country where the interview is to be conducted, it is very likely that the embassy will accept it as is...in other words, my fiance got one police certificate from italy and another from albania...he was only required to translate the one from italy, because packet 3 specified that documents can be accepted in either english OR albanian

as far as whether or not the petitioner / beneficiary can translate the document themself, i think it varies by embassy...if youre planning on doing so, i would contact the embassy to ensure that they will accept it

Thank you!

But to sleep better, i'd do this at the translations office.

Thanks again!

.png

UURI.jpg

Just to second fwaguy's prudence:

I needed to produce quite a few police certificates for my recent interview in Stockholm, Sweden.

this is what the Consulate requested/accepted

- the English language version of my Swedish police cert (they know this is readily available there, just as with the birth cert). They would NOT accept the Swedish version.

- a translated version of the other non-English language certs. E.g. my sister-in-law certified that my own translation of the German police cert was accurate.

Again, go by embassy/consulate specific guidelines.

Edited by Johnnie Oz

For Moldova particularly. If you are going to get your police certificate do NOT choose it to be in English. The Ministry of Internal Affairs is kinda stupid in Moldova and the translation is wrong!

Have it done it Romanian since the Romanian embassy can read it and to sleep better at night have it translated and legalized. I would recommend you a specific place. Hotlul Cosmos. On the 4th floor the have translation bureau called "Teodonica". They are good, fast and affordable. You can pick up your translation and legalization from the same place the same day usually.

Have your Birth Certificate Translated and legalized and please make at LEAST 3 copies of those. You will need one for embassy, one for AOS application and have one just in case. At least. I'm angry I only did 2...I don't have an extra one now if I need it. God forbid.

PS: Don't get your police certificate now. It's only valid for 3 months and by the time you'll have the approval it might expire.

Removal of conditions...

Oh and yeah. Many people might mislead you that the Police Certificate has to be legalized at the office of external affairs. Ignore them. They do require that for the Canadian visa issues something something. So everybody does it even when it's not needed. Don't. It's...bull :)

Aight...I'm gone

Good luck

Removal of conditions...

For Moldova particularly. If you are going to get your police certificate do NOT choose it to be in English. The Ministry of Internal Affairs is kinda stupid in Moldova and the translation is wrong!

Have it done it Romanian since the Romanian embassy can read it and to sleep better at night have it translated and legalized. I would recommend you a specific place. Hotlul Cosmos. On the 4th floor the have translation bureau called "Teodonica". They are good, fast and affordable. You can pick up your translation and legalization from the same place the same day usually.

Have your Birth Certificate Translated and legalized and please make at LEAST 3 copies of those. You will need one for embassy, one for AOS application and have one just in case. At least. I'm angry I only did 2...I don't have an extra one now if I need it. God forbid.

PS: Don't get your police certificate now. It's only valid for 3 months and by the time you'll have the approval it might expire.

When you translated your birth certificate did they give you the translation on a big A4 paper?

I was wondering is this going to be my only birth certificate i'll have in USA? Just an A4 sheet?

Or they're going to issue another american-type birth certificate?

.png

UURI.jpg

Timeline

While that is what the certificate says on its face... for consulate purposes the certificate is valid for 1 year... My wife had her PC from Moldova and had no problems at the consulate .......

YMMV

While that is what the certificate says on its face... for consulate purposes the certificate is valid for 1 year... My wife had her PC from Moldova and had no problems at the consulate .......

You don't wanna play with the Bucharest embassy. They can cause pain...better be safe than sorry

Removal of conditions...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.