LuciansGirl

Divorce Decree - seal?

37 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Just a quick question....

I'm a bit confused with the court's "seal" that is being referred to - is it a stamp or an embossed seal? I'm gathering docs to take to my fiance in a couple of weeks and I need to give him my divorce decree...the one with the court's seal. I still have the copy that the court originally sent me but it doesn't have the judge's signature, only a stamp of the judge's name (it doesn't have any kind of embossment anywhere). It also has the "effective date of termination" filled in by the court in BLUE ink in various places.

Would that suffice or do I need to get a certified copy of the same from the court?

AOS Timeline:

7/30/08: Sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

7/31/08: Received by USCIS

8/06/08: Check cashed

8/07/08: Rec'd NOA for I-485 AOS

8/07/08: AOS, EAD, & AP - Touched

8/08/08: Rec'd NOAs for EAD & AP

8/12/08: Rec'd Biometrics appt letter

8/21/08: Biometrics

9/29/08: EAD & AP - approved!!

10/6/08: EAD & AP - received in the mail!

2/06/09: Received interview notice for March 10th!!

3/10/09: Passed interview - husband's GC approved!!! Woohoo!!! :-)

01/2011: File to remove conditions

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Different states probably do it different ways, but in most cases a copy of the decree is valid as long as there is a stamp or seal of some kind. In my state, it's just an inked stamp filled in with the clerk's name and identification number, and the date. It could also be embossed/raised. I doubt very much any state is using anything like a sticker, but who knows. Basically what you need is a copy of the decree that the court has deemed a true and accurate copy in whatever manner they do it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yea mine was the same with a stamp of the judge's name and some sort of official looking flat circular stamp with the date of the divorce on it. I asked them to notarize it (which puts that raised stamp on it) and they looked at me like i was nuts but they did do it. Not sure if it was necessary but it made me feel better lol.

I'm still wondering what the "decree" is though. That term is not on my papers anywhere. I asked for a decree at the courthouse and they said this is it...my pile of papers that I fileld out stating who gets what etc that the judge signed.

Does everybody get that or is a decree more of a one page certificate type thing?

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Timeline
Different states probably do it different ways, but in most cases a copy of the decree is valid as long as there is a stamp or seal of some kind. In my state, it's just an inked stamp filled in with the clerk's name and identification number, and the date. It could also be embossed/raised. I doubt very much any state is using anything like a sticker, but who knows. Basically what you need is a copy of the decree that the court has deemed a true and accurate copy in whatever manner they do it.

My divorce decree is similar to yours since I'm also in Cali so I'll go with the copy that the court sent me with the court's stamp. Thanks, mox!

AOS Timeline:

I'm still wondering what the "decree" is though. That term is not on my papers anywhere. I asked for a decree at the courthouse and they said this is it...my pile of papers that I fileld out stating who gets what etc that the judge signed.

Does everybody get that or is a decree more of a one page certificate type thing?

Hmmm, pretty sure mine actually says "decree." I'll check it out when I get home.

My divorce decree is similar to yours since I'm also in Cali so I'll go with the copy that the court sent me with the court's stamp. Thanks, mox!

My decree is from Colorado, actually. But probably very similar.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hmmm, pretty sure mine actually says "decree." I'll check it out when I get home.

Just a question? Have you filed your petition without first obtaining your final divorce decree? Because I am waiting on mine it will be another month or so and have not filed my petition because of it? Can i file then include it later... and when later?

thanks

David and I met online December of 2006 and spent a year getting to know each other online and with visits! He proposed to me July 2007 onstage at my Favorite bands (candlebox) concert in Florida .We found out we were expecting a child January 31st sadly due to an ectopic pregnancy we lost the baby and almost lost me as well on February 8th. We then decided to get married if my long and drawn out divorce finalized before David was due to go back on April 13th

Divorced finalized March 20th

3/30/2008 MARRIED !!!!

4/11/2008 I 130 , I 485, 1765 and I131 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

4/21/2008 first NOA for everything

5/17/2008 RFE for Affidavit of support

5/20/2008 mailed in response to RFE

5/22/2008 Biometrics

6/10/2008 EAD Card production ordered!!!!

6/10/2008 I131 Approved YAY we can visit England again!! (nobody from there could make our short notice wedding)

10/28 Interview date

Timeline

Doesn't the term "decree" simply mean "judgment of the court"? Mine doesn't have "decree" on the actual document but it does say "judgment of dissolution".

AOS Timeline:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mine says something like "facts and findings" meaning final judgement. We did our divorce ourselves (can't remember the term for that) but I filled in all the forms, submitted them, paid the fee, we went to court, the judge said you both agree to these terms, we said yea, he signed it and that was it. So my final papers are what I actually filled out myself which feels so unofficial. They have court stamps & the notary seal but still...idk

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Just a question? Have you filed your petition without first obtaining your final divorce decree? Because I am waiting on mine it will be another month or so and have not filed my petition because of it? Can i file then include it later... and when later?

thanks

Is your divorce final? You can't file your I-129F unless you are legally allowed to marry at the time of filing. If you file before your divorce is final, you will be denied. If, on the other hand, the judgment is final and you're just waiting on the paperwork to get to you, then I suppose you could go ahead and file now. You'll get an RFE requesting the divorce decree, at which time you should have it and can send it in.

Doesn't the term "decree" simply mean "judgment of the court"? Mine doesn't have "decree" on the actual document but it does say "judgment of dissolution".

Yeah, sounds like the same thing.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

thanks

Is your divorce final? You can't file your I-129F unless you are legally allowed to marry at the time of filing. If you file before your divorce is final, you will be denied. If, on the other hand, the judgment is final and you're just waiting on the paperwork to get to you, then I suppose you could go ahead and file now. You'll get an RFE requesting the divorce decree, at which time you should have it and can send it in.

Yeah, sounds like the same thing.

thanks mox....

it will be final this week but will take a month or so to get the decree... did not know if it was worth filing now getting an RFE

or waiting until i get it and file. I do not know if i am saving us any time by doing it the first way...

David and I met online December of 2006 and spent a year getting to know each other online and with visits! He proposed to me July 2007 onstage at my Favorite bands (candlebox) concert in Florida .We found out we were expecting a child January 31st sadly due to an ectopic pregnancy we lost the baby and almost lost me as well on February 8th. We then decided to get married if my long and drawn out divorce finalized before David was due to go back on April 13th

Divorced finalized March 20th

3/30/2008 MARRIED !!!!

4/11/2008 I 130 , I 485, 1765 and I131 Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

4/21/2008 first NOA for everything

5/17/2008 RFE for Affidavit of support

5/20/2008 mailed in response to RFE

5/22/2008 Biometrics

6/10/2008 EAD Card production ordered!!!!

6/10/2008 I131 Approved YAY we can visit England again!! (nobody from there could make our short notice wedding)

10/28 Interview date

thanks mox....

it will be final this week but will take a month or so to get the decree... did not know if it was worth filing now getting an RFE

or waiting until i get it and file. I do not know if i am saving us any time by doing it the first way...

Welcome. :) Most people report that RFE's only set them back at most a couple weeks, and often times a week or less. So if you don't think you're going to get your paperwork back for a month or so, it might be a good strategy to file and just resign yourself to the fact that you will get the RFE. Just keep in mind that a) you need to be 100% sure that the actual divorce date on your paperwork will reflect that you were legally able to marry before you sent in the I-129F, and B) there are no guarantees that an RFE won't take longer to process.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My divorce decree was 25 pages long, it was the WHOLE file pretty much, with the judge's signature on the last page. They certified it by placing a raised seal on it. The certification of the decree cost $5.00. I went to the courthouse to have this done.

Good luck!

Jennifer :)

OUR VISA JOURNEY

12/16/05 My honey and I met online

04/27/06 to 5/14/07 We met for the first time in person

10/16/06 to 1/15/07 He visits for a second time

04/04/07 We get engaged!

05/29/07 K1 Application arrived at CSC

07/21/07 to 9/15/07 He visits for a third time

09/19/07 APPROVAL from CSC

11/16/07 NVC received petition

Petition is put under Administrative Processing

12/28/07 AP DONE! YAY! Off to the Consulate!

01/02/08 Consulate received and packet 3 sent

01/04/08 My honey gets packet 3

01/09/08 Medical Appointment *PASSED*

01/09/08 Packet 3 Returned

01/23/08 8:30 AM INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!!!!

01/23/08 Placed BACK on Administrative Processing (221g)

02/01/08 WE WERE APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!

02/06/08 VISA arrives!!!!!!!

04/01/08 My honey arrives in the US!

WEDDING DATE: 04/27/08!

AOS:

05/22/08 Package sent

06/02/08 Got all 3 NOA's

6/21/08 Biometrics

7/12/08 RFE: want 12 months of bank statements

7/16/08 mailed statements

7/22/08 statements received

10/10/08 AP received

10/15/08 Work Permit received

1/24/09 Green Card Received

My divorce decrees had a ink stamp that said true and complete signed by a rep from the county clerk and a embossed stamp as well. This proves its a certified copy.

OurTimeline

11/18/2007--------I-129F Petition mailed to CSC

11/29/2007--------NOA1

04/02/2008 --------NOA2 Approved (On my B-Day)

05/08/2008---------Forwarded to ISL

05/12/2008---------Consulate Received

05/22/2008---------Packet 3.5 Received by my Fiance

06/06/2008---------Packet 3.5 Returned to Embassy

06/19/2008---------Recieved Packet 4

06/25/2008---------Medical

07/08/2008---------Interview

03/06/2009---------Visa in Hand

03/23/2009---------POE Chicago

03/24/2009---------Marriage

08/05/2009---------GC in Mail

09/13/2009---------First Job in US

Naturalization

01/28/15------------mailed packet to USIS

02/06/15-------------NOA

02/27/15-------------Biometrics Appt.

Just call the county clerks office in the county where ur divorce was final tell them u need a cerified copy of your divorce. Give them the year of divorce and the parties names , and they will get u what u need. They may charge u a small fee.

OurTimeline

11/18/2007--------I-129F Petition mailed to CSC

11/29/2007--------NOA1

04/02/2008 --------NOA2 Approved (On my B-Day)

05/08/2008---------Forwarded to ISL

05/12/2008---------Consulate Received

05/22/2008---------Packet 3.5 Received by my Fiance

06/06/2008---------Packet 3.5 Returned to Embassy

06/19/2008---------Recieved Packet 4

06/25/2008---------Medical

07/08/2008---------Interview

03/06/2009---------Visa in Hand

03/23/2009---------POE Chicago

03/24/2009---------Marriage

08/05/2009---------GC in Mail

09/13/2009---------First Job in US

Naturalization

01/28/15------------mailed packet to USIS

02/06/15-------------NOA

02/27/15-------------Biometrics Appt.

Hmmm ... maybe not the same situation, but my wife-to-be had her previous marriage annulled back in 2003. The court's decision was titled "Annulment Decree", and we sent a simple photocopy of that 3-page document along with our I-129F.

She still had that document on her files, and instead of driving miles and miles to the county clerk's office, we simply took a photocopy of it. The I-129F instructions never mentioned that it actually has to be a certified copy.

Any reason to be scared ?

Regards,

Daniel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.