chaishai

MENA diet/exercise thread

1,807 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
The Ghirardelli squares at my desk keep staring at me.

I hate them.

I just had 4 kisses (of the chocolate mint variety, not the romantic variety). I have a love/hate relationship w/ them. I, too have 30lbs to lose :blink: , 20 of which must go by May... Surely I can manage 5 lbs/month, right? I did a dance workout video this morning - it's a start. :whistle:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

You can have the squares! But you have to watch the rest.. The first week when I actually lsot 5 lbs, I was eating a salad for lunch/breakfast (which was lettuce, 2 tomatoes, and that's it!) and having a lowfat yogurt... and then just water (with flavor packets, I hate water). I would eat a stirfry for dinner which was one zuchini, one summer squash, one carrot, 2 cups of mushrooms, 6 leaves of nappa cabbage, one onion, 1/4 block of tofu, 2tbs of olive oil and 3tbs of soy sauce-- which eaqualed about 550 calories.. and then I had one soda. I realized I was nearly 500 calories short of my 1400 and I had to make it up with a guilty pleasure. i had a bit of chocolate.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

LOL. I was just kidding about the chocolates.

Extreme diets don't work for me. I just need to get to the gym and just be a little more careful about portion size. Counting calories is the pits so I refuse to do it - that's no way to live!

Edited by Jenn!

Timeline

Extreme diets don't work for me. I just need to get to the gym and just be a little more careful about portion size. Counting calories is the pits so I refuse to do it - that's no way to live!

i always begin counting until I have some rough idea about what I am eating.. and then I totally forget it :) My problem is if I don't count, when I switch back to eating healthy foods I tend to under-do not overdo.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

i always begin counting until I have some rough idea about what I am eating.. and then I totally forget it :) My problem is if I don't count, when I switch back to eating healthy foods I tend to under-do not overdo.

I kinda follow weight watchers... but I did it for long enough to be able to guess on the points and keep track that way (sort of :P )

I did loose 60 pounds two years back when I was following it :thumbs:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline
I kinda follow weight watchers... but I did it for long enough to be able to guess on the points and keep track that way (sort of :P )

I did loose 60 pounds two years back when I was following it :thumbs:

me too.... lost 35 lbs a few years ago. I'm finding it harder to "follow" now w/ my husband here and trying to accomodate his eating habits as well. I'm mostly ok w/ eyeballing portion size but it's just cutting out/back on the bread and sweets and moving more that is my downfall.

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I did low carb before and lost a lot of weight. Then I got married and let myself go. So I decided around the time of Ramadan that the time was now. So when my husband started fasting, I started my diet. I had read about this specific diet in Woman's World magazine and decided to give it a try. There was a one-time fee to join the website. I love the women I have gotten to know from it.

As with any low carb diet, you have an induction phase where it is only protein. That should be short lived (like a week or two at the tops). Then you add some lower carb fruits (berries and apples are great for this and my favorites) and some of the lower carb vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, greens, etc). Do I follow the diet precisely? No. I add in things when I crave them (no white objects or sweets though). The main thing I have found is portion control and, as strange as this may seem, eating enough calories to keep the weightloss going. There is nothing more eyeopening than entering your daily diet into fitday.com (and it is free). It keeps me honest with myself.

Twila

Oh I know what you mean about logging, fitday and the daily plate are awesome for that! I always notice I stick to it better when I do that.

Timeline
Has anyone gotten into natural cheese? I noticed I use a ton less cheese (I love cheese more than I love family... ALMOST) if I use the organic cheddar (sans yellow dye). The flavor is just more potent. Cheese can be a problem for me.

I am off cheese (and dairy) for a while so I have been using "follow your heart" vegan cheese. It actually melts and isnt that bad! I dont think its the kind of thing you slice and have with a cracker though

I hate them.

throw them out or give them to coworker! or put them out for everyone to share

Timeline

Argg! I gave in :angry: I needed caffine and absolutely hate coffee, so I'm drinking a Mountain Dew :blush:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline

I hate them.

:o Excuse me? Shhh,they'll hear you.

Timeline
I am off cheese (and dairy) for a while so I have been using "follow your heart" vegan cheese. It actually melts and isnt that bad! I dont think its the kind of thing you slice and have with a cracker though

I ditched dairy for about a year... then I added back yogurt (occasionally) and then the occasional cheese thing (I love cheese. I cannot say that enough). There are some vegan parmesan flakes which are scrumptious.. I wish I could remember their name.

Timeline

I hate them.

lol

its never good to waste food.

but let them adhere to someone elses a$$!!!!

I ditched dairy for about a year... then I added back yogurt (occasionally) and then the occasional cheese thing (I love cheese. I cannot say that enough). There are some vegan parmesan flakes which are scrumptious.. I wish I could remember their name.

the first thing i add back will be my 2% milk cappucinos.

i use some sort of rice parmesean cheese that is awesome!

Timeline

I hate them.

lol

its never good to waste food.

but let them adhere to someone elses a$!!!!

Good point. I'll bring them home and give them to hubbie. :devil:

Timeline

I was thinking of walking the beach but it's 28 degrees outside without counting the windchill factor in. I think I'll read a book instead. Eye movement counts right? :unsure:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.