chaishai

MENA diet/exercise thread

1,807 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

OK, anyone interested in diet/exercise thread?

This is MENA specific, as we all deal with dieting despite husbands with high metabolisms (to generalize) and cooking us (or we cook them) lots of bread, middle eastern food, etc. Also how to workout while abroad.

So... who is in?

I didnt really start this on NYD I have been doing for a while... I am not eating any processed foods unless they are veggie burgers that sort of thing (with all good ingredients), trying to increase my fruits and veggies and keeping them as raw as possible, I have elminated dairy (this is just an experiment I am trying) and I have been doing lots and lots of exercise. I had a baby almost 9 months ago and I am at my pre pregnancy weight but since then, no budging! So not sure what is happening there but I would like to lose 10 lbs!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Count me in. I've put on some weight over the holidays and it needs to come off! I'm looking to lose 10-15 myself.

I need to get to the gym during my lunch break (we have one right here in the building). I've just gotten used to using that time to get in some extra studying. No clothes with me today :blush: so workouts are gonna have to start tomorrow!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
OK, anyone interested in diet/exercise thread?

This is MENA specific, as we all deal with dieting despite husbands with high metabolisms (to generalize) and cooking us (or we cook them) lots of bread, middle eastern food, etc. Also how to workout while abroad.

So... who is in?

I didnt really start this on NYD I have been doing for a while... I am not eating any processed foods unless they are veggie burgers that sort of thing (with all good ingredients), trying to increase my fruits and veggies and keeping them as raw as possible, I have elminated dairy (this is just an experiment I am trying) and I have been doing lots and lots of exercise. I had a baby almost 9 months ago and I am at my pre pregnancy weight but since then, no budging! So not sure what is happening there but I would like to lose 10 lbs!

I was PMing Lost in NY about this! Saying we should start one because a lot of us have this issue with their diet versus our butt-expansion. Sultan's kitchen can get too bug and this could be a place where we could consider posting low-fat recipes or modifications for recipes as well.

I had been really bad, just eating whatever I wanted and I gained 39lbs (so was 149). I;'ve lost 5 but didn't budge in the last 2 weeks.. still lost inches though. Am doing 30 minutes 5 days a week on stair stepper and doing some abs work and some light weights and 15 push-ups. I probably need to increase my abs workout. I can't do anything with weights over my head or chest because my arms will freeze at the glenoid fossa. I cannot deal with that kind of pain either!

I figure I need to keep intaking the veggies. I've tried to cut back my soda to one diet and one regular per day. Used to be like a 2-liter of regular :)

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is a really good light recipe for waldorf chicken wraps. I made them this weekend with my Mom and they're really good. You can also just eat the salad plain, or over lettuce. Here you go!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_66437,00.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

omg after 9 month's you're at your pre-preg weight??? After 10 1/2 years I'm still at my post pregnancy weight! Granted it is the weight after the 1st kid, not the second since they were back to back. lol.

I'm going to seriously start exercising and watch what I eat. No promises but something needs to be done. :unsure: Problem with going on WW or things like that for me is that my medications (prednisone, etc.) bloat me up when I'm in a flare and need to take them so when I'm bloated I get depressed and get the fk it's and eat whatever I want.

If I keep the exercise up though that outta do something.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I am totally reccomending the mini stair stepper from Sharper Image you guys. it's like $80 and it's reaaaaallllly tiny! About the size of a back pack. I love mine.

I've been using brown basmati with meals and adding a tsp of cumin, a bay leaf, a tsp. of coarse kosher salt, a few shakes of black pepper and 1.5tbs of chicken consomme to it. it really flavors well, and in all it adds about 15 calories to each serving.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

I like the idea of sharing recipes.

Tonight I am making:

Miso Soup: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/103391

Spicy Asian Slaw: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefi...ecipe_id=665301

Asian Noodles: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/maindishe...asiannoodle.htm

Although on the asian noodles, Im not on a low carb diet and I dont want all of that oil etc and I dont eat pork, so I am making it with smart ground (fake meat), natural peanut butter, and no oil if I can avoid it, if I need something Ill use my wholefoods cooking spray.

Im making so many things because we like variety plus we will eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

I will let you know how the recipes are tomorrow....

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

count me in! getting my fat ####### to the gym today. i went last week. i was so excited to begin my plan. i felt GREAT after (i had not worked out since my husband arrived)..and the next day i came down with this nasty cold! :( but i'm going to go today anyway. and today i begin our diet food plan. my husband has also gained a few since he arrived in late july so it won't hurt him to be on a diet either. it will be hard weaning him off in-n-out though!!!!!!!!

good luck ladies. i've got tons of recipes i'll try to get around to posting soon!

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I am totally reccomending the mini stair stepper from Sharper Image you guys. it's like $80 and it's reaaaaallllly tiny! About the size of a back pack. I love mine.

I've been using brown basmati with meals and adding a tsp of cumin, a bay leaf, a tsp. of coarse kosher salt, a few shakes of black pepper and 1.5tbs of chicken consomme to it. it really flavors well, and in all it adds about 15 calories to each serving.

It's on sale for $60 http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__SR407

I'd be afraid that I'd fall though since my balance sucks. I'm looking at this now and wondering why it's so cheap? http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/...t/sku__MY204BLU

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

I'm in. The last time I was in really good shape, I was walking three miles a day, rain or shine, and eating a lot of veggies. I had a good walk yesterday and I want to keep that up. Hubby's got one of those MENA metabolisms, but he doesn't walk as much now and likes American food (the bad kind) so he's put on a couple of pounds. We really need to work on our meal planning.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
omg after 9 month's you're at your pre-preg weight??? After 10 1/2 years I'm still at my post pregnancy weight! Granted it is the weight after the 1st kid, not the second since they were back to back. lol.

I'm going to seriously start exercising and watch what I eat. No promises but something needs to be done. :unsure: Problem with going on WW or things like that for me is that my medications (prednisone, etc.) bloat me up when I'm in a flare and need to take them so when I'm bloated I get depressed and get the fk it's and eat whatever I want.

If I keep the exercise up though that outta do something.

I am actually really proud of myself because I ate healthy throughout my pregnancy, REALLY healthy. I ate alot, but it was all really good for me, I felt like I was treating my baby so well. He is thanking me for it now because he is precious and growing like a champ and has always slept wonderfully (spitting for the evil eye!)

I also kept up light exercise. I am very spoiled and I have a very nice elliptical in my house. I actually did the elliptical the day before I gave birth for a reallllllllly long time, although lightly. I was hoping to go into labor! It didnt work, I had to be induced.

What are you on medication for if it isnt too personal? That stinks that it bloats you, I remember I had a roomate in college on prendisone for asthma I think? and it used to bloat her tremendously.

WW etc isnt for me, living in a mediterranean style family plus my husband and I are major foodies. We are OK with dieting, eating healthy, as long as we can find interesting things to make to keep it going.

Timeline

I'm so in - I'm hideous looking at this point! My resolution was to make meal plans and stick with them. I started yesterday by putting it onto a spreadsheet and adding recipes so my hubby can help too. This will hopefully help us eat better as well as save money with less binge shopping. There was a group of us on sparkpeople a while ago and I really liked the site. Maybe it's something to consider running again??

Oh yea I also started packing my lunch and am going to use my lunch time to take a walk. That should help some!

Edited by MrsAmera

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline

Oh another thing I am trying to do daily is juice. It gives me so much energy I feel like I am on speed. It makes me not want coffee. I have to have my morning cup of coffee but I used to drink it all throughout the day, now I juice in the morning and then it keeps me going, I dont need or want any more coffee! My favorite right now is beet, orange, carrot and apple (mixed together). I have a nice juicer, stainless steel, not too many parts and I can keep it on my counter since it is nice looking.

Timeline
I'm so in - I'm hideous looking at this point! My resolution was to make meal plans and stick with them. I started yesterday by putting it onto a spreadsheet and adding recipes so my hubby can help too. This will hopefully help us eat better as well as save money with less binge shopping. There was a group of us on sparkpeople a while ago and I really liked the site. Maybe it's something to consider running again??

Oh yea I also started packing my lunch and am going to use my lunch time to take a walk. That should help some!

binge shopping is our problem! and spontaneous going to restaurants! if i would cook something healthy, he'd eat it. but sometimes i get lazy and don't shop healthy/cook anything and we end up going out (bad!!!)

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

I made the decision in September to go about losing weight. I started a low carb, low fat diet and have lost 50 pounds since then. I have plateaued over the holidays, but I consider it a great feat to really look at what I eat now and to not binge eat. My New Year's resolution was to really use the recumbent bicycle we bought about a year ago. That is my plan for today!

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.