forchika

The African Culture-What things do you know?

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Here is what I know: my fiance has said that he does not mind doing domestic chores as long as I don't go telling his friends about it :jest::ph34r::whistle::lol::devil::P

A very diplomatic angle :lol:

Isn't that men in general? You know they have to uphold that macho image!!!!!!

Oh yeah you know it ! Maybe we can use that as a future bribe.....mop that floor or I will call the guys at the office and tell them you dusted the furniture

with the pink feather duster while you were wearing your apron and I have the picture to prove it..............just being a meanie and don't even care if he does housework, well ok maybe once in a while. Repairs , maintenance and yard work would be great if he would do that.....I despise that.

Pssssstttttt (come closer and swear you won't tell....)

My husband wore 2 inch white platform sandals in a radio contest race against 49 other men in the rain to try and win our daughter front row Hannah Montana tickets & back stage passes. And I DO have pictures already in the scrapbook. He made me swear to never mention it or show the pictures to any friends or family back in Jamaica.

Thanks for reminding me I have blackmail materials!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
Here is what I know: my fiance has said that he does not mind doing domestic chores as long as I don't go telling his friends about it :jest::ph34r::whistle::lol::devil::P

Oh yeah you know it ! Maybe we can use that as a future bribe.....mop that floor or I will call the guys at the office and tell them you dusted the furniture

with the pink feather duster while you were wearing your apron and I have the picture to prove it..............just being a meanie and don't even care if he does housework, well ok maybe once in a while. Repairs , maintenance and yard work would be great if he would do that.....I despise that.

My husband wore 2 inch white platform sandals in a radio contest race against 49 other men in the rain to try and win our daughter front row Hannah Montana tickets & back stage passes. And I DO have pictures already in the scrapbook. He made me swear to never mention it or show the pictures to any friends or family back in Jamaica.

BWUAHAAAHAAAAAHA :lol: ok I won't tell.......... :secret: actually that was really kind of him to do that for her.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:lol: ...did he win the tickets?

Sadly, no. He won his first race; but lost the semi-finals and never got to those all-important finals.

Talk about belly laughs.....50 guys in 2+ inch high heels duct taped to their feet. It was about 100 times more comical then you all are picturing in your minds right now.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f377/jom...621337_0004.jpg

He wanted to camp out overnight a few weeks ago in the 8 inches of snow we had to buy them for her 2nd St. Louis appearance in just a few months. I drew the line on that one. Funny is one thing. Freezing to death is another.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sadly, no. He won his first race; but lost the semi-finals and never got to those all-important finals.

Talk about belly laughs.....50 guys in 2+ inch high heels duct taped to their feet. It was about 100 times more comical then you all are picturing in your minds right now.

He wanted to camp out overnight a few weeks ago in the 8 inches of snow we had to buy them for her 2nd St. Louis appearance in just a few months. I drew the line on that one. Funny is one thing. Freezing to death is another.

:lol::lol::lol:

You gotta love him for trying! That was very nice, ummm .... funny of him.

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hello Everyone,

In my research I found books on Yoruba/Nigerian culture that you are allowed to read online. Some will allow you to download in .pdf.

Check it out: www.books.google.com

You have to register to read the books online. Not all will allow you to read or download but it's a start.

You call always check out your public library. Check and see if the public library in your area has a website, if so, you can search their database for books on Yoruba, etc culture, request it and pick it up at the front desk. I found a book on Yoruba to English dictionary but not as helpful as the cassette tapes and book I purchased at the airport in Lagos.

Hakeem and I would like to wish you all a Bless and Happy New Year.

Constance

I found a website that gave me a free download and I've been practicing my hausa. It's so much fun. Mama was so surprised when I sent her a card for her birthday with hausa written in it. It's fun to hear the surprise in Bassi's voice. I told him that I have to learn it quickly cause I don't want my children doing something and I don't know I should be punishing them! :lol:

:thumbs:

What happens at home stays at home!

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

That was so thoughtful of him, but I just can't imagine men in heals trying to run..... :D

7/20/05 - Visa received in the mail

9/13/05 - Arrival to Texas FINALLY!!!

12/2/05 - Wedding

1/25/06 - AOS/EAD sent

1/26/06 - AOS/EAD received at USCIS

02/4/06 - NOA received for EAD

02/6/06 - NOA received for AOS

02/7/06 - ASC appt notice rcv'd

03/2/06 - Biometrics appt.

05/15/06 - AOS Approval (stamp in passport)

05/23/06 - Received Welcome letter

05/26/06 - Green Card arrived in mail yaaaahhooooo

08/10/06 - Hubby 1st job in US

05/15/08 - ??? what next

Timeline

I don't mind doing housework too much. I agree with the repairs and shoveling snow and yard work (except for my vegetable garden). The maintenance on a house is so much work. Those can be his domain. I told him I am making a list of his responsibilities. He laughs but he knows I'm dead serious! :blink:

AOS

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Timeline

That's hilarious but sooooooooo sweet! He's a keeper!

AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

There are certain things that my fiance will never have to worry about like laundry. When I used to live with my sisters we would take turns. They would leave the clothes in the drier so long that they became all wrinkly. I HATE THAT. So, instead, I offered to do the laundry. So much better for my sanity :wacko:

Aother is the kitchen. This is another area that I am very particular. I do not like having people in my kitchen with me. I like my solitude. If he wants to cook that is fine with me (he's a good cook....yum) but helping me is out of the question. And I need to have all my dishes done before I go to bed. I do not leave pots and pans in the sink overnight :no:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline
There are certain things that my fiance will never have to worry about like laundry. When I used to live with my sisters we would take turns. They would leave the clothes in the drier so long that they became all wrinkly. I HATE THAT. So, instead, I offered to do the laundry. So much better for my sanity :wacko:

Aother is the kitchen. This is another area that I am very particular. I do not like having people in my kitchen with me. I like my solitude. If he wants to cook that is fine with me (he's a good cook....yum) but helping me is out of the question. And I need to have all my dishes done before I go to bed. I do not leave pots and pans in the sink overnight :no:

Bassi INSISTS on helping in the kitchen when I'm cooking. It slows the process down, but it's so much fun! He's beyond silly. His mom said he used to do the same thing with her. I hope it will be similar here. I say hope because you know when you're on vacation and cooking by choice it's not the same as after a 12 hour day while helping the baby with her homework and trying to get dinner done quickly. Bassi eats everything I cook with relish. I LOVE cooking for my man.

I don't dislike dishes in the sink, but I find that if I empty the sink every night, in the morning it makes me smile when I go in the kitchen. The room feels lighter somehow. But I run the dishwasher so it's not time consuming and since I make three meals a day in my kitchen, I usually have a full dishwasher every night. When the dishwasher is full, I run it and prop the door open to air dry the dishes. If the cat doesn't close it. :lol: He hates cabinet doors open in the kitchen. obessessive compulsive cat, go figure!

AOS

Timeline

Bassi is very protective. Almost over-protective. He thinks I do too much. If we go shopping in Accra, he won't let me carry bags. It's interesting because I see women going by with boxes on their heads and he won't let me carry a bag of groceries. He also seems to be aware of where I am all the time when we are together. I think I feel protected when I'm with him. Not like I would step out in front of a car to "test" him. :lol: But I'm used to fending for myself. I always took care of myself and my baby. Even in my previous marraige. It's very different to feel so very well taken care of. I should say that when I'm in the center of his family, I feel that all of the men are that way. One wife is every man's wife so they all sort of "watch" over us. I can remember talking with Bassi's sister in law one evening and we got up to get something to drink and two cousins asked us what do you need. Samira told them we want water but I can not drink from the well. So they sent one of the kids to fetch two bottles of water for us. And we just continued talking and laughing.

AOS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Does anyone know a good cookbook that teaches ghanaian dishes? and also some cameroonian dishes. My husband said he loved the food in cameroon. I know how to follow recipes but dont really know how to cook. I was raised on TV dinners and some hispanic dishes.

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Timeline

I found some, but it's hard to know how authentic they are. I asked for help the other day and got a couple recipes that I can feel sure are more authentic.

UPenn has some recipes on their website. ghanalounge has a bunch of recipes. I also found something called cookbookwiki. They have a section on Ghana. Amazon has some books listed mostly as West African Cooking. One book called True Ghana Delights (i think) looked interesting but I don't think it's authentic. I think it changes the traditional recipes to make it a bit high-brow and I haven't learned how to make the basics yet. Another good place to check for recipes is blogs. There are some missionaries in Ghana who have blogs and list recipes that they learned from native Ghanaians while there. Those are probably authentic.

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.