charlie & yeng

extending the extension

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Has anyone had to extend their 1 yr extension? If so, please share how its done.

Thanks

K1 Visa : Singapore (yeng) /Oregon (charlie)

Nov 12, '03: NOA 1 online

Mar 29, '04: RFE mailed out (139 days)

Apr 01, '04: RFE received in the mail (sent in wrong birth cert!)

Apr 09, '04: Mailed back RFE (Go USPS!!!)

Apr 15, '04: RFE received by USCIS (online)

Apr 28, '04: NOA2!!!! (Charlie received hard copy, online status still not changed) (168 days)

May 10, '04: Letter received from NVC

May 21, '04: Packet received in Singapore from SG Embassy. (191 from NOA1. online status still at reciept of RFE!)

Jun 18, '04: mailed off DS-230 (singapore procedure)

Jun 23, '04: received interview date letter from embassy

Jul 09, '04: Interview - SUCCESS!!

Jul 14, '04: Pick up passport with K1 Visa

Aug 12, '04: Arrive at LAX and clear immigration with ease.

Sep 04, '04: WEDDING!!!!

AOS (Portland, OR)

Oct 28, '04: mailed off AOS, EAD & AP to Portland by Priority Mail

Nov 20, '04: received AP and EAD appt letter for Dec 9.

Dec 09, '04: received EAD at appt (but the fingerprinting done was NOT the biometrics!)

Jan 11, '05: initial AOS interview date but we need to reschedule.

Dec 20, '04: (circa) received letter requesting the $70 for fingerprinting to be done)

Jan 6. '05: received appointment date for fingerprinting on Jan 25. (found out only on the 25th that they WERE going to interview us on the 26th but they didn't send letter out because the officer was going to be away)

Mar 16, '05: AOS interview - FINALLY!

Apr 27, '05: Received temp card (I-551)

May still receiving welcome NOAs (5 so far)

"...testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing" ... the Apostle, James

Timeline
Has anyone had to extend their 1 yr extension? If so, please share how its done.

Thanks

Why would you want to? Just file for Naturalization.

Not ready to do that yet... besides, that's a big chunk of $$ that we're not sure we want to spend yet.

I'm asking because there's a possibility that I won't get my 10 yr GC before my extension expires and I may have to travel while it expires.

Apr 28, '04: NOA2!!!! (Charlie received hard copy, online status still not changed) (168 days)

May 21, '04: Packet received in Singapore from SG Embassy. (191 from NOA1. online status still at reciept of RFE!)

AOS (Portland, OR)

Dec 09, '04: received EAD at appt (but the fingerprinting done was NOT the biometrics!)

Dec 20, '04: (circa) received letter requesting the $70 for fingerprinting to be done)

Jan 6. '05: received appointment date for fingerprinting on Jan 25. (found out only on the 25th that they WERE going to interview us on the 26th but they didn't send letter out because the officer was going to be away)

"...testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing" ... the Apostle, James

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Not ready to do that yet... besides, that's a big chunk of $$ that we're not sure we want to spend yet.

Other than the money (which is understandable), why are you not ready?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Make an InfoPass appontment with your local USCIS office and get an I-551 stamp in your passport.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Timeline

Other than the money (which is understandable), why are you not ready?

There's a slight possibility that we may want to live in Singapore for a while... we've not explored the possibility/implications yet so we want to keep status quo for now.

AOS (Portland, OR)

Timeline

You might be better off getting citizenship first and then moving to Singapore. If you're gone too long as a permanent resident without filing the right paperwork, your status can be revoked.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Other than the money (which is understandable), why are you not ready [for naturalization]?

That concerns many of us - I personally would like to wait with the US citizenship:

1. If we move outside of the US, I would have to pay taxes as US citizen.

2. I don't want to give up my European citizenship, because we might want to move to Europe sometimes, and I would have to claim a valid reason to my home country to keep both citizenships.

3. While I would like to vote and would be ready to do jury duty in a criminal court, jury duty in civilian court is different - from what I have heard it is often long and ineffective, and I oppose the right to a jury for the initiator in civilian matters on principal grounds.

To the original question of how to extend the extension:

Make an infopass appointment and get a one-year I-551 stamp.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You might be better off getting citizenship first and then moving to Singapore. If you're gone too long as a permanent resident without filing the right paperwork, your status can be revoked.

I think he wants to investigate the implications of acquiring dual citizenship under

Singaporean law. (Singapore does not recognize dual nationality, with certain exceptions.)

Edited by mawilson
biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

I have a friend who doesn't want to give up her Japanese citizenship for the same reason.

The main thing is if the OP decides to move to Singapore longer term, they'll have to apply for a re-entry permit before-hand if they intend to be gone longer than a year.

08/28/2004 Engaged

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

Filed: Timeline
Other than the money (which is understandable), why are you not ready [for naturalization]?

That concerns many of us - I personally would like to wait with the US citizenship:

2. I don't want to give up my European citizenship, because we might want to move to Europe sometimes, and I would have to claim a valid reason to my home country to keep both citizenships.

Is it that hard to get the ole' Beibehaltungsantrag approved? I totally screwed that up - didn't even know that one had to file such a thing. I am actually starting to look into trying to regain my German citizenship from here. Not completely impossible but an uphill battle from what I understand thus far.

My NOA is expiring on 3/21/2008, but my I-551 stamp on my passport is valid until June 2008. Will I receive a new NOA when my original NOA expires, or can I wait until my I-551 stamp expires and then get a new stamp from USCIS? In either case, can I go to USCIS before the expiration date, or will they give a new NOA/stamp only when the previous has expired?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks

One can apply for Naturalization even though one has not been approved for permanent resident status?

This is NOT the official timeline for Lifting of Conditions processing, use as reference only:

06.22.09-received both son's & wife's 10-year GC.

06.05.09-I-751 APPROVED

02.26.09-passport stamped temporary GC.

01.12.09-son's biometrics taken, after 12 months.

12.18.08-still no word from VSC

12.17.08-extended expiration date of conditional status

01.12.08-wife's biometrics taken, waiting for son's appt.

12.19.07-received NOA and EAC#

12.17.07-check cleared my account, cashed on 12.13.07

12.04.07-submitted Form I-751

01.26.06-day 150 (432): son's case approved... no interview. GC rec'd 02/11/06

12.29.05-day 121 (403): wife's case approved... no interview. GC rec'd 01/09/06

11.29.05-day 091 (373): wife's AOS & EAD biometrics done.

11.02.05-day 064 (346): EAD approved, card rec'd 12/05/05

10.15.05-day 046 (328): son's AOS biometrics done

09.09.05-day 010 (292): NOA's received

09.06.05-day 007 (289): AOS & EAD papers received by MSC

08.30.05-day 001 (282): filed AOS/EAD papers

07.12.05-day 233: "JUST MARRIED!"

see my timeline for K1 processing...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks

One can apply for Naturalization even though one has not been approved for permanent resident status?

Yes, as long as you have been married to a US citizen for three years (and resident in the US the bulk of that time), because by either getting a CR-1 visa or adjusting status after entering on a K visa, you have already been approved for conditional permanent resident status. Just because USCIS may not have been able to process one's petition to remove conditions within a year doesn't mean one can't apply for naturalization three years after getting a conditional green card.

Edit: noting the subreply from mawilson there -- applying for naturalization is not the answer to the expiration of the one-year extension, getting an I-551 stamp in the passport is. Try entering the country with an expired NOA1 extension letter and telling the POE official, "Gee, but I applied for naturalization!" You'll be out of there quicker than s--t through a goose.

Edited by James

Meh

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Edit: noting the subreply from mawilson there -- applying for naturalization is not the answer to the expiration of the one-year extension, getting an I-551 stamp in the passport is. Try entering the country with an expired NOA1 extension letter and telling the POE official, "Gee, but I applied for naturalization!" You'll be out of there quicker than s--t through a goose.

:yes:

I don't have hubster's NOA with me so I can't remember what it says, but does the extension letter grant one year from the expiration of the greencard, or is it the date on the NOA that we have to worry about. Hubster's greencard expired the end of June last year and we filed the beginning of April, with the NOA date of early May last year (see timeline below). So is the extension letter good until the end of June this year? I know it seems a stupid question, but since I have a strong feeling he'll be making an infopass appointment, just wonder when he'll have to make it. It's crazy that you have to get a stamp in the passport. Do they expect you to carry THAT around as well? Say he needs to show ID...now he shows driver's license, greencard, NOA (and that's when people's eyes glaze over...even at airport check-in), and then he'll have to show passport possibly? GRRRRRRRRRRRRR :angry:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.