charlie & yeng

extending the extension

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Say he needs to show ID...now he shows driver's license, greencard, NOA (and that's when people's eyes glaze over...even at airport check-in), and then he'll have to show passport possibly? GRRRRRRRRRRRRR :angry:

Driver's licence usually works for me... I've never had to show my GC to anyone.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Edit: noting the subreply from mawilson there -- applying for naturalization is not the answer to the expiration of the one-year extension, getting an I-551 stamp in the passport is. Try entering the country with an expired NOA1 extension letter and telling the POE official, "Gee, but I applied for naturalization!" You'll be out of there quicker than s--t through a goose.

:yes:

I don't have hubster's NOA with me so I can't remember what it says, but does the extension letter grant one year from the expiration of the greencard, or is it the date on the NOA that we have to worry about. Hubster's greencard expired the end of June last year and we filed the beginning of April, with the NOA date of early May last year (see timeline below). So is the extension letter good until the end of June this year? I know it seems a stupid question, but since I have a strong feeling he'll be making an infopass appointment, just wonder when he'll have to make it. It's crazy that you have to get a stamp in the passport. Do they expect you to carry THAT around as well? Say he needs to show ID...now he shows driver's license, greencard, NOA (and that's when people's eyes glaze over...even at airport check-in), and then he'll have to show passport possibly? GRRRRRRRRRRRRR :angry:

The only times I can think of needing the passport is to get a driver's license (as a general rule, all DMVs should accept that, but they all have their state-by-state quirks) and to re-enter the U.S. Otherwise, he should be able to keep it safely tucked away at home. (My wife has made a little pink bed for hers, with little pink sheets and a little pink blanket and a little pink pillow. Well, no, not really.)

Meh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.