one...two...tree

More flee California state than move in

109 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Population is up thanks to births and foreign immigrants, but rest of U.S. isn't California dreamin' like it was.

By Sharon Bernstein and Paloma Esquivel, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers

California's population continued to grow modestly in the last fiscal year despite a significant exodus of residents to other states, according to a state report released Wednesday.

The annual study by the Department of Finance showed that 89,000 more people moved out of California than moved here from elsewhere in the United States. California's population did grow in fiscal 2007 -- but the growth rested on births and the arrival of more than 200,000 immigrants from other countries.

The shift dovetails with the state's weakening economy and is most likely related, said Howard Roth, chief economist for the Department of Finance.

Those who left, Roth said, were fleeing an economy in which just 5,800 jobs per month were created -- down from more than 20,000 per month the previous year. Jobs were lost in housing, finance, construction and other sectors, and key indicators like the number of automobiles sold were also down, he said.

People who are leaving the state, he said, are probably doing so because they believe they'll do better elsewhere.

"If you're someone in finance and you haven't already been laid off . . . or if you've lost your job here and maybe your house, maybe you're thinking that there are better prospects out there in other states," he said.

The trend toward reduced "domestic migration" -- which began in 2005 and has increased dramatically since -- is a sharp turnaround from nearly a decade of sustained population growth.

While the state lost many residents during the economic downturn of the 1990s, people had been steadily moving to California from other states since 1999.

But once the housing bubble burst, the trend reversed.

The story was repeated in Southern California, where every county except Riverside and San Diego saw a decrease in "domestic migration."

In Los Angeles County alone, nearly 115,000 fewer residents came from other states and California counties than moved to other states and counties. The county ended up with a total increase in population thanks to 91,000 births and an influx of 70,000 residents from foreign countries. (The county now has roughly 10,294,000 residents).

Since 2000, about 500,000 more people have left Los Angeles County than have moved here from other parts of the U.S. and California, the figures show.

34354730-19220654.gif

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gr...=la-home-center

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

No surprise, housing costs are ridiculous, and Cali is one of the most business-unfriendly states in the Union.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Timeline

California = high housing costs and having to live with assorted fruits and nuts.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
This is true for Jersey as well. It's not a good sign for either state.

Why isn't it a good sign? Losers are moving out. If you're still here, you must be doing well.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
No surprise, housing costs are ridiculous, and Cali is one of the most business-unfriendly states in the Union.
Followed very closely by New York, although housing costs where I live is quite in-expensive. Taxes are insane.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

California has great weather, is full of things to do, has ocean/lakes/mountains/deserts/forests and varied landscapes. The food, farming, wine, and other nicer aspects of living here are unparalleled. San Francisco, while a liberal nut fest at times is also cultured with fine dining, museums, landmarks, shopping, etc., that you can't find in smaller areas.

Los Angeles is a city like no other with the movie industry "Welcome to Hollywood," thoughts of being a star, Disney, Universal, Magic Mountain and other theme parks.

Nevada is a short drive or plane ride to Las Vegas, Reno, and Tahoe and the skiing and entertainment options there. Hawaii is a 4 hour hop away. Mexico is a short hop as well.

Housing prices are definitely BS. I was saying long, long before the current housing situation that speculators were driving the market by taking out 0 down loans with teaser rates and flipping the homes in 6 months or so for a $20-50K+ gain. Nice for them while it lasted, but it screwed real homeowners, skewed prices even more than usual, and a large group of homes facing foreclosure are the speculators running away.

Of course the experiences a person has in California, just like in all areas in life relate to where you live, what you do for work, who you know, and your access to resources and ability to save for the future. If I were a white kid living in Compton or East Palo Alto I'd run for any other state ASAP.

Filed: Timeline
This is true for Jersey as well. It's not a good sign for either state.

Why isn't it a good sign? Losers are moving out. If you're still here, you must be doing well.

At least in Jersey's case, a lot of the domestic relo out of state has been due to corporate relocations. In other words, corporations leaving the state and taking the jobs they create, the jobs created by the multiplier effect of those jobs and the tax revenues they contribute, with them. That's no good thing.

I suspect the same is probably true in Kalifornia.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I fleed California awhile ago and I'm not sure I'd ever want to live there again. Every time I went there for work after I moved away I hated it more every time!

Where did you go in California?

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I hate the cost of living here but can't afford to move.

Me too. I'm hoping we can move out of here within the next 3 years. I'd like to try living on the East Coast for a change.