Ban Hammer

Queen Elizabeth II becomes Britain's oldest monarch

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

LONDON (AFP) - Queen Elizabeth II was set to become Britain's oldest monarch Thursday, overtaking her great-great grandmother Queen Victoria, although in discreet royal fashion no events were planned to mark the record.

"This is just another normal working day for the queen," a royal spokeswoman told AFP, adding that the 81-year-old was spending the day in Buckingham Palace dealing with routine paperwork and some Christmas correspondence.

"There's nothing the queen is doing to mark the occasion," she added.

Victoria died in 1901 aged 81 years and 243 days. Elizabeth was to pass Victoria's record at around 5:00 pm Thursday -- taking into account times of birth and death, according to Buckingham Palace.

She is the world's second-longest serving monarch alive, after Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej. She has outlasted 11 prime ministers -- the first was Sir Winston Churchill -- and is the first to have a prime minister, Tony Blair, born during her reign.

Victoria will retain the record for longest-serving monarch ever for some time, though: she ruled Britain and its empire for nearly 64 years. Elizabeth will surpass if that she is still on the throne on September 9, 2015.

Coincidentally, the youngest member of the British royal family, the newborn son of the queen's youngest child, Prince Edward, left hospital Thursday following his birth Monday.

Despite her age, the queen shows little sign of slowing down -- last month, she and her husband Prince Philip visited Uganda for the Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting and she carried out 425 official engagements last year.

"Even allowing for the improvement in medicine since Victoria, it is remarkable," Peter Hennessy, professor of contemporary British history at Queen Mary's college, University of London, told the Daily Telegraph.

Any sign of ageing is pored over by the media, such as when she appeared at an official engagement this week with a large bruise on her neck. Royal officials said it was the result of a knock and was "nothing to worry about".

Notwithstanding her gruelling timetable and the high respect which most Britons have for her, there are signs that the monarchy is starting to think about what will happen when she dies, even if she is currently in good health.

Heir to the throne Prince Charles went to Uganda last month with his parents, attending his first Commonwealth leaders summit outside Britain.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper quoted an unnamed senior Commonwealth source at the time as saying the question of whether Charles would become head of the 53-nation body was being actively considered.

Charles's own position in Britain has strengthened thanks to the successful integration of his second wife Camilla -- with whom he had an affair during his marriage to the late princess Diana -- into the royal family.

Thanks to her low-key charity work and seemingly warm relations with stepsons princes William and Harry, public opinion of the woman Diana dubbed "the Rottweiler" is beginning to thaw.

Some 28 percent of people say they want her as queen when Charles takes over, compared to just seven percent in 2005.

Insiders including Elizabeth's cousin Margaret Rhodes say it is highly unlikely she will step down early -- the abdication of Edward VIII in 1936, which forced her father to take over, is a painful chapter in royal history.

"Abdication I don't think is an issue, or something that's even in consideration to the Queen," said Robert Jobson, a journalist and author of books on the royal family.

So while the queen could still, in the words of the national anthem, be "long to reign over us", the royal family seems determined to make sure that when the inevitable does finally happen, the transition is smooth.

Buckingham Palace said the Queen's next public engagement is on Christmas Day (December 25), when she will attend a church service on her Sandringham country estate in the county of Norfolk, eastern England.

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Her mum was 101, Queen E has some time left, much to Prince Charles' dismay....

Her Mum was Queen Consort and not Queen in her own right so Queen Elizabeth II has now achieved the above, and I'm sure that most of her subjects from the eskimo in his skin canoe out in the frozen wastes of Canada to the heathen savage in the jungles of the equator will join me in toasting Her Majesty and wishing her the best of health, long to reign over our illustrious Empire. :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline
Her mum was 101, Queen E has some time left, much to Prince Charles' dismay....

Her Mum was Queen Consort and not Queen in her own right so Queen Elizabeth II has now achieved the above, and I'm sure that most of her subjects from the eskimo in his skin canoe out in the frozen wastes of Canada to the heathen savage in the jungles of the equator will join me in toasting Her Majesty and wishing her the best of health, long to reign over our illustrious Empire. :thumbs:

um, I only meant her mum lived a long time and likely so will QE? VJ Sheesh.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

God help us when Charles becomes king.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Timeline

i didn't know i was in line :blush:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
join me in toasting Her Majesty and wishing her the best of health, long to reign over our illustrious Empire..

No I don't think they will, thank you very much. The empire of annoying idiots bringing forcing their particular brand of ignorance and gluttony on the world is very far down my list of things to celebrate.

Edited by Poiteen

The UK Wiki

Timeline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_succe..._British_Throne

i know i'm just having fun. :D

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
join me in toasting Her Majesty and wishing her the best of health, long to reign over our illustrious Empire..

No I don't think they will, thank you very much. The empire of annoying idiots bringing forcing their particular brand of ignorance and gluttony on the world is very far down my list of things to celebrate.

No thank you!!!! :blink: I have green blood coursing through my veins not blue!! :thumbs:

Separated!!

No thank you!!!! :blink: I have green blood coursing through my veins not blue!! :thumbs:

Green blood, eh?

You are Ming the Merciless and I claim my five pounds. ;)

DCF London

24 May 2007: Married

28 June 2007: I-130 Sent

3 July 2007: Embassy takes payment

4 September 2007: Still received no NOA1, Embassy in email confirms that I-130 was filed on 3 July

14 September 2007: NOA2

24 September 2007: Received Packet 3

26 September 2007: Sent off DS-230 (part I) and checklist

9 October 2007: Medical

24 October 2007: Interview - APPROVED

9 November 2007: POE - JFK

15 January 2008: Green Card received in the post

Removing Conditions

19 August 2009: Posted 1-751

21 August 2009: 1-751 Receipt Notice

25 September 2009: Biometrics Appointment

14 October 2008: Email from USCIS saying 10 year GC ordered.

Timeline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_succe..._British_Throne

i know i'm just having fun. :D

I read that as 'he' not 'I'. :blush:

:dancing: gotcha! :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My succession forecast: Charles will be temporary monarch (to see how it feels - after all, it's a part he's been in line to play all his life. Sort of like how Pierce Brosnan finally got to play Bond) then hand over to a younger, better-looking and more popular royal, William. The monarchy is doomed anyway, but I don't think Charlie wants to hasten its demise but clinging onto the throne until he breathes his last.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.