melusine

How does it works the married last name ? can i keep both ?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

We will marry nex year (under k1 process right now) and i was wondering of the possibilities about last names.

I have my last name that i like because it is quite special and uncommon wich i would like to keep for working purpose (because it stands out)

and the last name of my bf wich sound very traditionnal american and quite nice too and of course my fiance would like me to take as mine.

my questions are :

can i have both names as a last name ?

or is it just one last name ? then can i still keep my actual last name as a middle name or something ? (and forget about my other middle names since i do not care at all about them)

how does it works exactly and when is that decision made ? (at the wedding license ? after during multiples papers?)

Tanks for your answers :)

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Normally you choose your married name when you fill out the marriage licence, and you could actually use either option. My now wife didn't have a middle name since its not common in Indonesia. So when we filled out the marriage licence, her last name became her middle name and she took my last name as hers.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi Melusine,

You have many options regarding your last name after marriage, I've found that the rules here are quite flexible.

This is from an article from about.com

Changing Your Name After Marriage

Name Change Options

There are many name change options available to couples today. We're using the names Mary Jones and Pete Smith as examples.

Both Use Your Husband's Family Name:

This is the most widely used name change option in the U.S. (Pete and Mary Smith)

Both Retain Your Birth Names

This name change option is a popular choice when you both have established professional identities. Some women who choose this option use their husband's last name for social purposes. (Pete Smith and Mary Jones)

Both of You Use Wife's Family Name

This name change option is not widely used, some couples have strong feelings about using the wife's last name. (Pete and Mary Jones)

Wife Uses Maiden Name as Middle Name Along With Husband's Family Name

This name change option is growing in popularity. (Mary Jones Smith and Pete Smith)

Hyphenate Your Two Names

This is another name change option that is growing in popularity, but there is concern that it could create confusion for some people and computers. (Mary Jones-Smith and Pete Jones-Smith)

Both Use Each Other's Names as Middle Names

Since you are both keeping your own last name, this is more of a symbolic gesture than a practical one. (Pete Jones Smith and Mary Smith Jones)

Pick a New Name

Some couples use their last names to create a new name (Smiones) or they pick an entirely different name. (Pete and Mary Carter)

Latin American/Spanish Name Tradition

Couples in many Spanish speaking countries give their children both their father's last name and their mother's maiden name to preserve the heritage of both families. When marrying, a woman has the option of keeping all her names and adding her husband's last name or dropping her mother's maiden name.

General Name Change Guidelines

Bottom line, the decision is up to the two of you. Here are some general guidelines when considering changing a name:

In some locales, changing your name generally requires some sort of documentation showing both your old name and your new name. Most people use a certified copy of their marriage license or divorce papers.

Other locales use the common law rule in dealing with name changes.

It is recommended that you first change your driver's license, then (in the U.S.) your Social Security card. There are many other institutions and people to notify of your name change.

As your children mature, it is important to let them know that you will not be offended or upset if they decide upon marriage to not continue to use their birth names.

Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Caro

Edited by JVKn'CVO

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

After my marriage I took my maiden name as my middle name, and took my husband's surname as my new last name. So far so good :)

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I'm going to have two last names. I'm just going to add my fiance's name to my current name. I chose that because I have a daughter from my first marriage and it's important to me that we carry the same name, even if it's not exactly the same. Bassi agreed wholeheartedly.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

you can really.... choose another name out of .. nowhere ???? wow..... that sound amazingly strange !

for example....

marie peters

and

john carter

can really decide to become

john and marie wilson ?????????????????????????????????

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
you can really.... choose another name out of .. nowhere ???? wow..... that sound amazingly strange !

for example....

marie peters

and

john carter

can really decide to become

john and marie wilson ?????????????????????????????????

Kind of surprising but yes, very possible. I have a friend who did this. Both her and her husband had family problems and families that were well known for trouble with the law (both her and her husband were as straight-laced as they come) and they chose a new name not related to either of them for the start of their new life together. It was odd to me at first but after a while......well it wouldn't work for me but for someone else, I can see why.

Jun: I Met Elias in Peru

Oct: Returned to Peru. Elias proposed!!

Nov 26: Mailed I-129F to VSC

Nov 28: Rec. Signature Confirm of delivery from USPS

Nov 29: Check cashed ; rec. receipt number. E-NOA1

Feb 14: Touch

Feb 14: NOA2 by email!

Feb 19: File Arrived @ NVC

Feb 20: Hard-copy NOA2

Feb 21: File Left NVC for Lima.

Feb 25: File @ U.S. embassy in Lima!

Mar 04: Rec. Packet 3/4

Mar 18: 8 a.m. My Morenito's Interview!!

Mar 25: VISA IN HAND!!!

Apr 4: My love is home!!!!

Apr 29: Our marriage. And life begins anew..

Dec 31: Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP to Chicago

Jan 5: Rec. e-mail confirm of delivery from USPS

Jan 8: Check cashed. MSC number not visible....

Jan 12: Rec. Hard Copy Notices for AOS, EAD, and AP. Touched

Jan 16: Rec. NOA-Biometrics Scheduled 1/28/09

Jan 28: 9:00 a.m. Biometrics appt. Fast - 15 minutes in and out!

Jan 29: Touched.

Feb 3: AOS Trans. to CSC

Feb 10: AOS Arrived @ CSC

Mar 04: Touch on AOS

Mar 09: Notifice that AP approved 3/6/09

Mar 13: Rec. AP

Mar 16: Rec. EAD (surprised as USCIS shows no updates)

Apr 3: Rec Welcome Letter, AOS approved 03/30 (surprise, no updates on website)

Apr 8: GC Received

June 5: Our precious baby girl arrived!

June 7: Our darling son arrived!

Yep, you can assume any name you want as long as you don't use it for fraudulent purposes.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

I was considering using my maiden name at work and my married name socially. I wouldve put my passport and driver's license having both names (no hyphen) so that I could easily travel in either name (as long as one name on the passport matches one name on the ticket, you are fine to travel). Then just use the names independently as needed - the only time they are together are on DL and Passport.

I had it all planned out, but in the end I just took my husband's name - it just made it easier for me. Good luck - let us know what you decide!

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

I have two last names and both are quite unique. It is the custom in my birth country to keep the father's name and change the mother's name to your husband's. I did that over 25 years ago, here in the US, with my first husband and now with the 2nd. (No third husband intended)

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.