39 posts in this topic

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been with State Farm forever-it was easiest to just switch my US state farm policy to Canadian State Farm when I immigrated because the hubby hadn't owned a car for years. but now that we're switching back I'm trying to shop around, I'll probably end up staying with State Farm cause that's where our renters insurance is. it works out to pretty much the same premium and I know that State Farm will deal with us if we have an accident-I've heard too many horror stories about Geiko not responding if you need them.

our policy is a 6-month policy, but I pay every month. I think it cost $1-2/month for the luxury of paying monthly instead of 6 months up front

I'm confused why you would be on the policy if you don't have a license? and what that has to do with removing conditions? Len, you lost me-an easy feat I admit

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Filed: Timeline

I'm confused why you would be on the policy if you don't have a license? and what that has to do with removing conditions? Len, you lost me-an easy feat I admit

HA!

Kidding. I think some companies put you in the policy as an insured non-driver or something like that. And it's evidence for when we apply to Remove Conditions, joint insurance.

1. Metlife is what my brother (our brother? :lol: ) uses.

2. I don't remember what he pays but I think they offer semi-annual payment plans.

3. Len, You don't need a car to drive people crazy. :devil: I would wait until you're licensed in WA or have Bren put you on his policy for limited use (he'd be the primary). Go with a low deductable if you can afford it.

You jsut figured THAT ONE out??? :lol:

I guess then we'll insure THE redhead (aka my personal sex slave) and wait until we have more financial proceedings from some 1-900-LADYHEATHER schemes on the works.... ;)

You need a car? I always thought that you just had Bren carry you through the streets on his back. :lol::lol::lol:

He has since joined the Oppressed Husband Union of Washington State.... and now demands to be paid for such duties.... damn male liberation :angry:

Timeline
He has since joined the Oppressed Husband Union of Washington State.... and now demands to be paid for such duties.... damn male liberation :angry:

I hope there's not a branch of that in NM-I can't afford to pay him to clean the house while I'm at school. I'm just going to have to cut off his internet access before he stumbles on such a subversive group

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

I hope there's not a branch of that in NM-I can't afford to pay him to clean the house while I'm at school. I'm just going to have to cut off his internet access before he stumbles on such a subversive group

I hear you sister :thumbs: , cut away his privileges. These men now want equal pay for sh1te women have done for free for too darn long. Bren is under warning: one more complaint about me not cooking, and the remote will disappear. And that's that :devil:

Timeline

One has to check around to get the best rates, pain in the butt. When I arrived in the USA,wife just added me to her State Farm insurance. Too easy, rates didnt go up!! But her family inthe past had some issues with State farm, ie getting into anaccident, or collecting on a house claim,then being dropped or rates going way up!!! I dont know the whole story!! A few of her relatives had USAA, they love it!! We searched and their car rates were super, much lower than State FArm. But for us to get USAA her parents had to have it first!! Something along the lines USAA was meant for military members (something like that, again, I dont know the whole story,sorry) But our car insurance is lower,BUT our property insurance is a bit higher, but it is better coverage. Dealing with USAA over the phone is pretty good, have had to use thir glass repair service a few times, and was a breeze.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I hear you sister :thumbs: , cut away his privileges. These men now want equal pay for sh1te women have done for free for too darn long. Bren is under warning: one more complaint about me not cooking, and the remote will disappear. And that's that :devil:

hiding the remote is excellent punishment, but I'd have to find it first. ok, I have to leave now. I have important sciency stuff to do and you keep distracting me

and yes all of my sciency stuff is allways important-I have to keep believing (no one else does) or I'll get demoralized and have to go get a job with some sleezy pharmaceutical company and nobody wants that

Edited by thermophile

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

9/28/05 landed, yippie

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

To add to this discussion...we have our car insurance (and our house) through Farm Bureau. I believe they are all over the place here in the US. For six months of full coverage we pay $335 or $670 a year. House insurance runs us $298 a year. Might check and see if they're in your area. We don't have the option of paying by the month, however we can split the six month fee in half so it averages out to every 3 months. We just save up each month anyway so it's like paying monthly.

Did that help or did I foncuse you? :D

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are with Esurance... rates aren't too bad for the two cars, and they are easy to deal with so far (no accidents yet so we dont know how they are on that field, but every time we make a policy change they are very nice and are available 24/7)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Len,

1. AllState was the cheapest insurance auto and home when I was calling around last month when I bought our house. Its coverage was similar to all the other major insurance company. I did not switch to them because I have a really good insurance agent at Shelter who has come through for my family in the passed and also for me.

2. Each insurance company is different. Shelter allows me to pay monthly. However, when I started up monthly payments I was in the middle of the semiannual payment period and had to pay the rest of that upfront. They also stipulated that they initiate the debit from my checking account on a specific date. This has been fine since the monthly payments do not fluxuate but have been decreasing.

3. What you are asking for here is to be listed as an add on driver, and I am assuming you and Bren only have one vehicle currently. If you have two you may not be able to be listed as such. Anyways, if you can be listed as an added driver, the liability is should not be very much. When I was in my early 20's and finishing college, before any rate decreases based on sex and age, my parents had me listed as an added driver they had two cars. Since I was an add on driver it was $75 every six months for me. That was 10 years ago.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Try SafeAuto and Safeco. I also had Safeway, but they lied to me :angry: so I can't honestly recommend them.

Geico was waaay to expensive for me!

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Timeline
Try SafeAuto and Safeco. I also had Safeway, but they lied to me :angry: so I can't honestly recommend them.

Geico was waaay to expensive for me!

That's funny. Safeway's a grocery store in Canada. ^_^

Western US too-that is funny

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

NOA1 4/13/04

12/4/04 submitted app

9/28/05 landed, yippie

I have Allstate.

I check every couple of years with other companies, but Allstate is still the least expensive for the coverage I have. I just recently added my homeowners insurance to Allstate as well, and now I pay even less. I have my truck and Mags' ZX2 on there - full coverage - for about $100/month.

What impressed me with Allstate was, when my car was broken into and my stereo stolen, they delivered a check to me personally, at my job, the next day.

I've been with them for about 15 years now.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.