blah0323

Being real about marriage!!!

244 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

This is a very interesting thread, I must confess! I have never posted any write-ups on VJ since this account is my fiance's though I have unrestricted access on it. In fact I read all the post here more than she do simply because I'm privileged to have an internet access in my home which is not a norm in many homes here in Nigeria.

I came across this thread yesterday and I'd wanted to post some lines immediately after I read BESANGIN's posts but i needed to inform my fiance so she won't think someone has got access to her VJ account. Anyways, I'd like to direct my post to foreigners(non Nigerian) who found their Nigerian husband/fiance(e) online. First, you must understand that getting to love someone via the internet is not the bane to successful marriage but there are pivotal factors you must consider before making plans to get married to such person especially if your new found love is a Nigerian. The combination of these factors and many more you will research yourself by constant observations and communication with your husband/fiance(e) will help you make a decision on what to do if you find yourself in such situation.

1. MATURATIONAL LEVEL/READINESS OF YOUR HUSBAND/FIANCE(E): Many Nigerian guys are neither ready nor matured to get married. They propose to women online purely for the quest of leaving Nigeria to a place they call "land of opportunity". It will shock you to know that some Nigerians spend huge resources including their time to search for ladies online as their prey. This prey are popularly know as "mugu" or "maga". Majority of these ladies have some things in common: fat, over aged, divorced or widow(F.O.D.W). The believe is that ladies with such commonality are gullible. Don't get me wrong, your fiance/husband might have genuine intention about your relationship but i believe the motive behind him marrying you and also you saying yes to his proposal should be established. Furthermore, you are required to task the readiness of your man getting married to you and not necessarily getting married for the purpose of acquiring a Green card. Also the maturational level of your fiance(e)/husband to handle marital issues should be determined even before marriage. Here, chronological(actual) age does not measure marital maturational level. What you need to consider is your fiance(e)/husband's mental age, patience,perseverance and sensitivity.

2. FAMILY: Another factor you must consider is the family of your fiance(e)/husband. I know in western countries like the US this is not an important consideration but in Africa, it's as important as the survival and longevity of your marriage. This includes the impression that your fiance(e)/husband's parents/siblings has about you particularly because of your race and trace. You must know that some families in Nigeria are very cooperative with their sons. They can put on the garment of pretense and shower you with love and warm hospitality believing it is a necessary key for you to put in the application to bring their son to the "Land of Opportunity".

Many parents in Nigeria are against inter-tribal marriages among their children how much more marrying a foreigner. You must understand that family acceptance is not the only key to a successful marriage. However, in some cases such acceptance could be faked. So you need to find out if your fiancee/husband's family are against inter-tribal marriages in Nigeria and then use such information to develop some alert in your case.

3. FRIENDS: You must try to know your fiance(e)/husband's friends both male and female including information about his ex-girl friend since he will tell you that he has no current girl friend. Ask questions about his past relationships and how it ended. Every Nigerian that has completed a post secondary education would definitely have a girl friend except he wants you to believe otherwise. Note every stories and information he tells you about his friends (male/female) and then put him on a "hot seat" after some months by developing some investigative questions from such stories/information.

Discovering how real your man is takes a lot of hard work, dedicated time and research but in the end it pays.

4. FUN: You must also consider how much fun you derive from talking to him or being around him. This is a very important issue to consider because many people equate FUN with SEX. By fun, I mean the sensitivity of your man and not his sexuality. How sensitive is your man to any issues related to you? What do you guys talk about on the phone and how much fun and excitement do you derive talking to him? This are questions you need to ask yourself because when everything including sex fails, of course the fun you guys derive won't fail. I'm not saying sex is not an important issue in marriage but sometimes you need to judge your relationship with your fiance(e)/husband without considering the sexual satisfaction you derive and analyze the result to determine what you love about him.

I hope this post would be found useful and I stand to be corrected if you disagree with all or any part to the write-up. Thanks!!!

April 8, 2007 - Visited the love of my life in Nigeria

April 10, 2007 - Engaged

May 21, 2007 - Sent Package to VSC

May 24, 2007 - NOA1 receipt date

August 10, 2007 - Visited the love of my life in Nigeria (again...stayed three weeks)

September 1, 2007 - arrived back in the States

November 5, 2007 - approved!!!

November 6, 2007 - touched

November 9, 2007 - received paper NOA2

November 9, 2007 - NVC forwarded case to consulate

November 15, 2007 - received letter from NVC

November 19, 2007 - fiance has interview date and corresponding forms

December 15, 2007 - Purchase Ticket

January 8, 2008- interview at consulate (approved!)

January 18, 2008- pick up visa

January 19, 2008 - POE (JFK)

February 14, 2008 - married on V-day!

AOS/EAD:

March 14, 2008 - applied for AOS/EAD

March 16, 2008 - AOS/EAD Received

March 20, 2008 - (AOS/EAD) NOA1 Received

March 27, 2008 - Received biometric Appointment

April 8, 2008 - I485 Application transfered to California Service Center

April 11, 2008- Biometrics taken

April 16, 2008 - Touched (AOS Transfered)

May 07, 2008 - Touched

May 08, 2008 - Touched

May 09, 2008 - Touched

May 12, 2008 - Touched

May 13, 2008 - Touched

May 14, 2008 - Touched(EAD card production ordered)

May 19, 2008 - Touched(EAD Approved)

May 19, 2008 - (AOS) Touched

May 19, 2008 - EAD card received!!!

June 05, 2008 - Touched(AOS Card production ordered)

June 09, 2008 - AOS approval notice sent

June 12, 2008 - Green Card received in mail

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I sincerely hope that most of us already know this information about the "romance scammers". It is fairly common knowledge who they target and how they operate. Any of us who has choosen to take this journey, has hopefully already come to the conclusion in their minds that their men are legit. If they are having doubts at this point in the game, after they have already begun this process, then it is my opinion they never really knew their men in the first place.

Have you taken more than one trip to see him?

Did u stay longer than a few weeks?

Did u live his "life" or just spent it sightseeing and cuddling?

Did u spend alone time with his family and friends?

Did u see where he works? Meet his co-workers?

Did u attend his church? Meet his pastor?

Do u talk to his family regularly?

Does he ask u to send money?

Has he lied? Withheld important stuff, or not been honest?

All these are important things to ask yourself...of course there are many other important relationship, personality, and character questions to be asked, as in any relationship...but the important thing is WATCH FOR RED FLAGS! They are there in full sight! Dont be afraid to ask questions...if he truly is genuine, then he will understand.

Not all Nigerian men are scammers. But if u did your homework before getting involved with a man from Naija, especially online, you'd kno the statistics speak for themselves. For many there, scamming women is their career choice. Its a whole network...and not just in Nigeria.

This shouldnt be news to any of us...right?

Bottom line....be smart. Think with your head, not your heart. Nothing wrong with being cautious...after all this is our life we talking about here..right. and for many of us, lots of financial issues as well. Its not a subject we want to think about...but its one we need to be sure of before we invest our hearts and especially our dollars in!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I also saw a financial responsibility for him during that time as well. I totally lost myself in trying to "save" him and "save" our marriage...and didn't realize how much I was hurting myself until I ended up in the hospital. Love and marraige has no guarantees. You surrender to love and you have to give it your all. If you go in with doubts and questions, it won't work. If you go in not trusting the other person, it won't work. Marriage isn't easy, but it's worth it. If you're protecting yourself from the pain of being in love, you're also preventing yourself from feeling the joy of being in love.

My first marriage made me ill too, and that was with someone I'd gone to school with - but he and his family hid his mental health issues from me and we didn't live together until after we were married. He suffered almost constant depression, was completely incapable of holding down a job, became very callous, cruel, and manipulative and was always complaining about lack of money even though I was struggling to support us both while all he did was rack up more debt. He would be home all day but refuse to even wash the dirty dishes, and then expect me to do them and cook for him. We only watched the television programmes that he wanted to watch and he had a number of other weird rules and patterns (that kept changing... so I could never get it right). After his second emotional breakdown and almost ten years together of my trying to support him and get him to accept therapy / medication (he was good at hiding it and tried to make people believe I made it all up!) I finally accepted that I had to leave him in order to save myself.

Breaking the sacred bonds of marriage is not something that should ever be taken lightly, but sometimes it is necessary.

Do everything that you can to try to make your marriage work - but accept that you can only do so much. If the other person is unwilling or unable to meet you halfway then you have to accept that things may never get any better and that perhaps you both deserve to make a clean break of it and have the opportunity to move on.

~ Hannah

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline
This is a very interesting thread, I must confess! I have never posted any write-ups on VJ since this account is my fiance's though I have unrestricted access on it. In fact I read all the post here more than she do simply because I'm privileged to have an internet access in my home which is not a norm in many homes here in Nigeria.

I came across this thread yesterday and I'd wanted to post some lines immediately after I read BESANGIN's posts but i needed to inform my fiance so she won't think someone has got access to her VJ account. Anyways, I'd like to direct my post to foreigners(non Nigerian) who found their Nigerian husband/fiance(e) online. First, you must understand that getting to love someone via the internet is not the bane to successful marriage but there are pivotal factors you must consider before making plans to get married to such person especially if your new found love is a Nigerian. The combination of these factors and many more you will research yourself by constant observations and communication with your husband/fiance(e) will help you make a decision on what to do if you find yourself in such situation.

1. MATURATIONAL LEVEL/READINESS OF YOUR HUSBAND/FIANCE(E): Many Nigerian guys are neither ready nor matured to get married. They propose to women online purely for the quest of leaving Nigeria to a place they call "land of opportunity". It will shock you to know that some Nigerians spend huge resources including their time to search for ladies online as their prey. This prey are popularly know as "mugu" or "maga". Majority of these ladies have some things in common: fat, over aged, divorced or widow(F.O.D.W). The believe is that ladies with such commonality are gullible. Don't get me wrong, your fiance/husband might have genuine intention about your relationship but i believe the motive behind him marrying you and also you saying yes to his proposal should be established. Furthermore, you are required to task the readiness of your man getting married to you and not necessarily getting married for the purpose of acquiring a Green card. Also the maturational level of your fiance(e)/husband to handle marital issues should be determined even before marriage. Here, chronological(actual) age does not measure marital maturational level. What you need to consider is your fiance(e)/husband's mental age, patience,perseverance and sensitivity.

2. FAMILY: Another factor you must consider is the family of your fiance(e)/husband. I know in western countries like the US this is not an important consideration but in Africa, it's as important as the survival and longevity of your marriage. This includes the impression that your fiance(e)/husband's parents/siblings has about you particularly because of your race and trace. You must know that some families in Nigeria are very cooperative with their sons. They can put on the garment of pretense and shower you with love and warm hospitality believing it is a necessary key for you to put in the application to bring their son to the "Land of Opportunity".

Many parents in Nigeria are against inter-tribal marriages among their children how much more marrying a foreigner. You must understand that family acceptance is not the only key to a successful marriage. However, in some cases such acceptance could be faked. So you need to find out if your fiancee/husband's family are against inter-tribal marriages in Nigeria and then use such information to develop some alert in your case.

3. FRIENDS: You must try to know your fiance(e)/husband's friends both male and female including information about his ex-girl friend since he will tell you that he has no current girl friend. Ask questions about his past relationships and how it ended. Every Nigerian that has completed a post secondary education would definitely have a girl friend except he wants you to believe otherwise. Note every stories and information he tells you about his friends (male/female) and then put him on a "hot seat" after some months by developing some investigative questions from such stories/information.

Discovering how real your man is takes a lot of hard work, dedicated time and research but in the end it pays.

4. FUN: You must also consider how much fun you derive from talking to him or being around him. This is a very important issue to consider because many people equate FUN with SEX. By fun, I mean the sensitivity of your man and not his sexuality. How sensitive is your man to any issues related to you? What do you guys talk about on the phone and how much fun and excitement do you derive talking to him? This are questions you need to ask yourself because when everything including sex fails, of course the fun you guys derive won't fail. I'm not saying sex is not an important issue in marriage but sometimes you need to judge your relationship with your fiance(e)/husband without considering the sexual satisfaction you derive and analyze the result to determine what you love about him.

I hope this post would be found useful and I stand to be corrected if you disagree with all or any part to the write-up. Thanks!!!

WOW !!!!!!! Thank you for sharing your comments.

Although I did not meet my husband on line, I must say that I appreciate so much what you've written. On a personal level I am against meeting individuals via the internet (again - on a personal level). Nevertheless, I am aware that there is a 50/50 chance that things can work. This same statistics applies to even non-internet relationships. Taking into account a conversation I had with a friend a while back (she is a USC and does meet guys online) your comment regarding F.O.D.W is a statement that I strongly believe has some merits. I think this applies very heavily to on-line, international relationships (regardless of the country). I am a full figured woman, and I know that men (even skinny guys) do find love (both inside and out) with the full figured woman. But your F.O.D.W. statement really makes me sit back and say hmmmmmm ......

In terms of your comments regarding Family and Friends. I agree with you again. During the initial part of our courtship, I would be willing to say that my husband probably knew more about my family and its background than he did about me. That was a major area of 'intrest' during the beginning. His sister and my 1st cousin played a big role in us meeting each other. And even during my conversations with them (by the way, my 1st cousin is a USC who met her Cameroonian husband in grad school) most of the initial conversations were about his family. It's funny that you should stress the family as such an important part in the dating role. Because I can recall various times having the thought of 'who are you dating? me or my family', and the same thought applied during the times I was receiving detailed briefings about his family. The role of the family is very important in his culture. This reminds us of - get to know the family! As for his friends, they too would call both me and my family during our courtship. My sisters started to look forward to the phone calls they would receive from my husbands friends. And guess what - taking into account some of what I've read here on VJ, it was not to ask for money or a 'hook up' with my sisters or anyone else. They sincerely wanted to get to know us, and we get to know them.

As for your explanation concerning having fun - I think you've covered that well.

Now ... sometimes things get real sticky around here when a fellow memeber(s) feels as though someone may be stepping on their toes .... guys please don't turn this into a cat fight. Let's take all that has been said in love and kindness.

I truely wish everyone the best!

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
In terms of your comments regarding Family and Friends. I agree with you again. During the initial part of our courtship, I would be willing to say that my husband probably knew more about my family and its background than he did about me. That was a major area of 'intrest' during the beginning. His sister and my 1st cousin played a big role in us meeting each other. And even during my conversations with them (by the way, my 1st cousin is a USC who met her Cameroonian husband in grad school) most of the initial conversations were about his family. It's funny that you should stress the family as such an important part in the dating role. Because I can recall various times having the thought of 'who are you dating? me or my family', and the same thought applied during the times I was receiving detailed briefings about his family. The role of the family is very important in his culture. This reminds us of - get to know the family! As for his friends, they too would call both me and my family during our courtship. My sisters started to look forward to the phone calls they would receive from my husbands friends. And guess what - taking into account some of what I've read here on VJ, it was not to ask for money or a 'hook up' with my sisters or anyone else. They sincerely wanted to get to know us, and we get to know them.

I still don't quite get the family relationship. I don't fully understand it. Bassi's family had to approve of me, though I think they trust him and his ability to make a good choice. They were aware of me when we were friends, but when we became more than friends, the situation changed a bit. I felt "investigated". I remember telling my friends that I felt like I was on the hot seat all of a sudden. I also find that it's almost like I offend his extended family if I don't include them. Meaning calling or writing, basically keeping in contact. Now, I'm west indian and family is important, but I find them to be a bit stifling. So I keep them at a distance. I speak to my parents on a daily basis, everyone else that I consider extended family I talk to on major holidays or when there is a major life event like childbirth, marriage, college graduation, you know what I mean. Bassi's cousins call me weekly. I feel like it's all of them. And I'm running out of things to talk about. They want to know how I am, how is the baby, how is work. Well, the same, we're fine. I'm adjusting and it has been a big change for me. The closest of my family lives about 200 miles away. Bassi is already telling me he doesn't like that and he wants to move "his" family closer. [sigh] I like the distance. I have a huge bridge to cross with this. With learning what this means and how to incorporate it into my life without personal discomfort. I love my family, don't get me wrong. I just like the distance. It give me control. Otherwise, they'd be at my house whenever they want to, eating my food and making lots of noise. God Bless 'em, my family is an acquired taste.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks for sharing this, I'm sure it will help someone.

7/20/05 - Visa received in the mail

9/13/05 - Arrival to Texas FINALLY!!!

12/2/05 - Wedding

1/25/06 - AOS/EAD sent

1/26/06 - AOS/EAD received at USCIS

02/4/06 - NOA received for EAD

02/6/06 - NOA received for AOS

02/7/06 - ASC appt notice rcv'd

03/2/06 - Biometrics appt.

05/15/06 - AOS Approval (stamp in passport)

05/23/06 - Received Welcome letter

05/26/06 - Green Card arrived in mail yaaaahhooooo

08/10/06 - Hubby 1st job in US

05/15/08 - ??? what next

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I still don't quite get the family relationship. I don't fully understand it. Bassi's family had to approve of me, though I think they trust him and his ability to make a good choice. They were aware of me when we were friends, but when we became more than friends, the situation changed a bit. I felt "investigated". I remember telling my friends that I felt like I was on the hot seat all of a sudden. I also find that it's almost like I offend his extended family if I don't include them. Meaning calling or writing, basically keeping in contact. Now, I'm west indian and family is important, but I find them to be a bit stifling. So I keep them at a distance. I speak to my parents on a daily basis, everyone else that I consider extended family I talk to on major holidays or when there is a major life event like childbirth, marriage, college graduation, you know what I mean. Bassi's cousins call me weekly. I feel like it's all of them. And I'm running out of things to talk about. They want to know how I am, how is the baby, how is work. Well, the same, we're fine. I'm adjusting and it has been a big change for me. The closest of my family lives about 200 miles away. Bassi is already telling me he doesn't like that and he wants to move "his" family closer. [sigh] I like the distance. I have a huge bridge to cross with this. With learning what this means and how to incorporate it into my life without personal discomfort. I love my family, don't get me wrong. I just like the distance. It give me control. Otherwise, they'd be at my house whenever they want to, eating my food and making lots of noise. God Bless 'em, my family is an acquired taste.

It's funny you mention the calls from the cousin, the way they occur, the same questions. So a question, does that make you feel like they don't want to know anything else about you, or share other things about themselves or the family.

Because I could send you weekly email and let you know we are still okay, instead of you spending your money....lol Just a thought!

7/20/05 - Visa received in the mail

9/13/05 - Arrival to Texas FINALLY!!!

12/2/05 - Wedding

1/25/06 - AOS/EAD sent

1/26/06 - AOS/EAD received at USCIS

02/4/06 - NOA received for EAD

02/6/06 - NOA received for AOS

02/7/06 - ASC appt notice rcv'd

03/2/06 - Biometrics appt.

05/15/06 - AOS Approval (stamp in passport)

05/23/06 - Received Welcome letter

05/26/06 - Green Card arrived in mail yaaaahhooooo

08/10/06 - Hubby 1st job in US

05/15/08 - ??? what next

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
It's funny you mention the calls from the cousin, the way they occur, the same questions. So a question, does that make you feel like they don't want to know anything else about you, or share other things about themselves or the family.

Because I could send you weekly email and let you know we are still okay, instead of you spending your money....lol Just a thought!

Well, I do think of them spending their money. I also think of me spending my money to call them all but I don't want to hurt their feelings either. So there is quite a bit of diplomacy involved. They won't take an email or a text message or I also tell Bassi, Tell everyone I said hello and I'm fine. Bassi and I speak everyday, so they know that I'm fine cause they ask him too. When I fell down the steps, they ALL knew. I got calls from Burkina Faso to Holland and everywhere in between. God Bless them! They all pray for me. I'm just family now. They have to hear my voice. And mama is a little frightened for my daughter. She has a sense that her father will take her away from me. So she has to hear KayKay's voice and checks on her weekly. But in their tribe, the child goes with the father if a marriage is split so it's the opposite of our culture.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I too felt like I was being "investigated". However, I started to change my view point and looked at the situation as 'aww ... they are so nice wanting to find out about us, and we about them'. OK .... back to reality ..... the calling would sometimes get on my nerves. But at the same time, I appreciated the efforts made. ;)

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Hot Dang! I totally understood your perspective on this one. The F.O.D.W part I had heard before, but was not sure about. Great post

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

FODW has been discussed frequently in the Mena forum.

I agree with all the points brought out for the beginning of the relationship. I just wish I had applied those insights when I was dating

USC here, it would have saved me a lot of trouble. But life is a teacher and the lessons were learned well by me. ;) and have been applied since.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Here is a summary of my argument using an anecdote:dating online is equivalent to lending to a very very very very not so credit worthy borrower.However,in the midst of these scammers are a few decent fellows.Desirous to leave their home countries?Yes!Capable of actually falling in love with their foreign spouses?ABSOLUTELY!The risk you bear is in taking the chance of which “borrower” lands in your net,and what you do after that.I am sorry if I speak in parables,but this is how we African men put our truth out for consumption.The truth is,I want all of you with genuinely good hearts and intentions to find true happiness.No decent human deserves any less.Stay focused,enjoy the moment and yes, TRUST.

Finally,just like Besangin and others have noted,do not invest more than you are willing to lose in your relationship.But do not hold back that which is reasonable to make your dreams come true.Sorry,I have no formula here, as you alone can do that delicate balancing.I think that if many other African men would be willing to post here,the benefits would be immeasurable.Goodluck to each and everyone of you on their various journeys.

As a USC (married to a man from Africa), I prefer to think of online dating as more like lending to someone without a credit history, not so much someone "very very very very not so credit worthy". People gave me all kinds of scary things to think about before I even went over there, and I made sure to keep them all in the back of my mind. But I didn't expect anything bad based on what I knew of him, and I'm very happy to say that he's really wonderful.

I also want to address another thing you mentioned, and I am so happy you did. Most people seem to think that just because someone would like to leave their country, that they can't possibly actually love the person they meet from another country. I see nothing wrong with looking outside your country for a spouse, as long as you marry out of love. People here look for specific things all of the time. If you want a man with a good job, you're not going to hang out at the unemployment office! Not saying everyone is as obvious as that, but we all have our guidelines. Some people who criticize non-USC men and women for looking for USC spouses might want to remember that some USC men and women also purposely look outside this country for their spouses - and sometimes even pay to do so! I know friend of my father got what is referred to as a 'mail order bride'. And let's not forget how people within a country sometimes marry for the wrong reasons. I know the potential for fraud (at least theoretically) is higher when there's a difference in living standards between two countries, but it gets irritating when people assume that any USC (especially a woman) who marries someone from somewhere else - especially from a less affluent country - is automatically being duped and that the 'alien' (who came up with that?) is automatically a scammer. You should see the look of surprise when some people find out he has his 'green card' and hasn't left me.

By the way, just to mention - I wasn't looking for a relationship when I met my SO. I just wanted something to do when the kids were sleeping and my ex was out at night (I wasn't able to move out until after the divorce was finalized), so I talked with different people on the computer at night. He wasn't expecting to find someone either. But we found each other, and we're very happy.

We're just sick of people acting like we have to justify ourselves to them. And their attitudes speak even louder than their mouths.

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello VenusFire503,

It is great to hear another successful story. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. I agree that it must be frustrating to hear th stories from naysayers. No one has actually come out and said anything to me, but my Dad never askes how my husband is doing or contribue anything when I discuss him. My mom is so excited for me and loves him already. My church has done a prayor for his visa journey and are excited to have him as a member. People who know you will support you.

It has been put out that there are cases, what the signs are, and what to look for. I think everyone is prepared if that should be the case and have accepted that they same thing could happen with a relationsihp with someoen from the US.

Again thank you for the good news.

Here is a summary of my argument using an anecdote:dating online is equivalent to lending to a very very very very not so credit worthy borrower.However,in the midst of these scammers are a few decent fellows.Desirous to leave their home countries?Yes!Capable of actually falling in love with their foreign spouses?ABSOLUTELY!The risk you bear is in taking the chance of which "borrower" lands in your net,and what you do after that.I am sorry if I speak in parables,but this is how we African men put our truth out for consumption.The truth is,I want all of you with genuinely good hearts and intentions to find true happiness.No decent human deserves any less.Stay focused,enjoy the moment and yes, TRUST.

Finally,just like Besangin and others have noted,do not invest more than you are willing to lose in your relationship.But do not hold back that which is reasonable to make your dreams come true.Sorry,I have no formula here, as you alone can do that delicate balancing.I think that if many other African men would be willing to post here,the benefits would be immeasurable.Goodluck to each and everyone of you on their various journeys.

As a USC (married to a man from Africa), I prefer to think of online dating as more like lending to someone without a credit history, not so much someone "very very very very not so credit worthy". People gave me all kinds of scary things to think about before I even went over there, and I made sure to keep them all in the back of my mind. But I didn't expect anything bad based on what I knew of him, and I'm very happy to say that he's really wonderful.

I also want to address another thing you mentioned, and I am so happy you did. Most people seem to think that just because someone would like to leave their country, that they can't possibly actually love the person they meet from another country. I see nothing wrong with looking outside your country for a spouse, as long as you marry out of love. People here look for specific things all of the time. If you want a man with a good job, you're not going to hang out at the unemployment office! Not saying everyone is as obvious as that, but we all have our guidelines. Some people who criticize non-USC men and women for looking for USC spouses might want to remember that some USC men and women also purposely look outside this country for their spouses - and sometimes even pay to do so! I know friend of my father got what is referred to as a 'mail order bride'. And let's not forget how people within a country sometimes marry for the wrong reasons. I know the potential for fraud (at least theoretically) is higher when there's a difference in living standards between two countries, but it gets irritating when people assume that any USC (especially a woman) who marries someone from somewhere else - especially from a less affluent country - is automatically being duped and that the 'alien' (who came up with that?) is automatically a scammer. You should see the look of surprise when some people find out he has his 'green card' and hasn't left me.

By the way, just to mention - I wasn't looking for a relationship when I met my SO. I just wanted something to do when the kids were sleeping and my ex was out at night (I wasn't able to move out until after the divorce was finalized), so I talked with different people on the computer at night. He wasn't expecting to find someone either. But we found each other, and we're very happy.

We're just sick of people acting like we have to justify ourselves to them. And their attitudes speak even louder than their mouths.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Senegal
Timeline

various people in the armed forces marry for the extra money monthly. It is not right, but it is done and that is by USC and the government is aware they just look the other way. :whistle:

Health and Wellness to you always

May your life be filled with many colors.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Missy's SO you are awsome. Thank you so much for your time. You are appreciated. I have several Nigerian friends here in America. Across america. I know several that are married for the GC and their wife do not have a clue. They are arranged by other Nigerian friends that sometimes make money from making the arrangement with someone (female party) they considere a friend. I also have a friend that owns a few Cyber Cafe's in Nigeria. I do not think I need to say more.

God Bless You!

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.