ddchucksgirl

transferring savings here

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello!

My fiance got his visa yesterday - YAY :lol: - and now we're working on all the little details to get him over here smoothly. Does anyone know of the most painless way to transfer his savings over to dollars? We've looked at Paypal and regular his-account-to-my-account transfers, and of course everything charges a fee. We're still looking, but I just thought I'd ask in case anyone found a good way to do this. Any experiences?

Thanks!!

1999 -- met randomly online, talked/called often

Dec 02 -- finally figured it out :)

Aug 3 05 -- submitted I-129F

Aug 10 05 -- received NOA1

Sept 05 -- two weeks in England

Oct 14 05 -- received NOA2

Oct 20 05 -- requested police certificate check thingy

Oct 25 05 -- petition sent to London Embassy!

Nov 8 05 -- Packet 3 received!!

Dec 05 -- where's the police report??

Jan 7 06 -- after much checking up, received letter saying police check app and payment received... finally! maybe now something will start moving

April 1 06 -- turned in Packet 3, holy cow

May 23 06 -- Consulate still says no Packet 3 :( gonna try to resend the forms...

June 6 06 -- new Packet 3 signed for at Consulate, waiting starts over

July 14 06 -- received Packet 4 - YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! (I have been waiting SO long to put this on here!!!)

August 1 06 -- Medical in London :D

August 15 06 -- INTERVIEW @ 10:30 am

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS

Dec 26 2006 -- AOS & EAD sent

Jan 3 2007 -- NOAs for AOS & EAD

Jan 19 07 -- Biometrics appointment

Jan 19 07 -- Touched

Jan 22 07 -- Touched

Jan 24 07 -- Touched

Feb 5 07 -- Received Interview Appointment letter

March 20 07 -- AOS Interview

Hello!

My fiance got his visa yesterday - YAY :lol: - and now we're working on all the little details to get him over here smoothly. Does anyone know of the most painless way to transfer his savings over to dollars? We've looked at Paypal and regular his-account-to-my-account transfers, and of course everything charges a fee. We're still looking, but I just thought I'd ask in case anyone found a good way to do this. Any experiences?

Thanks!!

Congrats on your visa :dance:

I used a company called FX Solutions and found them very good. www.fxsolutions.co.uk

Good luck

Helen

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

Use a broker. They beat the banks hands down on exchange rate.

We use HIFX. Easy to set up an account and funds arrive within a couple of days from start to finish with no bank charge for receipt.

www. hifx.com

Congratulations on visa!!!

Good luck and very best wishes, daisy

Daisy, Surrey UK +++ DJ, California USA

March 2001: Dear Duck.... with kind regards, Daisy

April 2002: Our first visit, the start of many..

How blessed we are to meet and fall in love

May 2005: We marry in California

June 2005: We start the visa process

July 2005: NOA1

Jan 2006: NOA2

Apr 2006: Case complete

Apr 2006: NVC send file to London

June 2006: Church blessing in London

June 2006: Medical

June 2006: Interview

June 2006: VISA!!!!! :)))

Sept 2006: Daisy age 50 and 7/12ths moves to California... whoooohooooooo!

Removal of Conditions

June 2008: Mail package to CSC

July 2008: Biometrics Appt

October 2008: 10 year green card arrives in the mail.

Citizenship

January 2010: Apply for US citizenship.

March 2010: Oath ceremony. Citizenship complete!!!!!

Does anyone know of the most painless way to transfer his savings over to dollars? We've looked at Paypal and regular his-account-to-my-account transfers, and of course everything charges a fee. We're still looking, but I just thought I'd ask in case anyone found a good way to do this. Any experiences?

I use http://xe.com There is no "per transaction" fee, so I can spread my transfers over several months, reducing risk.

Bartek

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Excellent, thanks very much! :)

1999 -- met randomly online, talked/called often

Dec 02 -- finally figured it out :)

Aug 3 05 -- submitted I-129F

Aug 10 05 -- received NOA1

Sept 05 -- two weeks in England

Oct 14 05 -- received NOA2

Oct 20 05 -- requested police certificate check thingy

Oct 25 05 -- petition sent to London Embassy!

Nov 8 05 -- Packet 3 received!!

Dec 05 -- where's the police report??

Jan 7 06 -- after much checking up, received letter saying police check app and payment received... finally! maybe now something will start moving

April 1 06 -- turned in Packet 3, holy cow

May 23 06 -- Consulate still says no Packet 3 :( gonna try to resend the forms...

June 6 06 -- new Packet 3 signed for at Consulate, waiting starts over

July 14 06 -- received Packet 4 - YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! (I have been waiting SO long to put this on here!!!)

August 1 06 -- Medical in London :D

August 15 06 -- INTERVIEW @ 10:30 am

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS

Dec 26 2006 -- AOS & EAD sent

Jan 3 2007 -- NOAs for AOS & EAD

Jan 19 07 -- Biometrics appointment

Jan 19 07 -- Touched

Jan 22 07 -- Touched

Jan 24 07 -- Touched

Feb 5 07 -- Received Interview Appointment letter

March 20 07 -- AOS Interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I use Customhouse when I transfer $$$ from Canada to USA, not sure if they do Europe, better rate than the banks

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

How much are you talking about ??

I think you can bring up to $10,000 in cash into the US without needing to declare it. If thats correct (you might need to check that) then you could do what I did and change money at the post office which doesn't charge any commission. If I remember rightly I brought about $4,000 with me and wasn't asked any questions at all.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I just did wire transfer. Worked perfectly fine, with a fee of course.

Edited by Garfield fan

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

I think you can bring up to $10,000 in cash into the US without needing to declare it.

...and if you bring more, you just have to declare it - that's all. The problem is, carrying cash is risky. What if it gets stolen ?

If thats correct (you might need to check that) then you could do what I did and change money at the post office which doesn't charge any commission.

Yes, it does. It's hidden in the exchange rate.

I use Customhouse when I transfer $$$ from Canada to USA, not sure if they do Europe

Customhouse = xe.com. Yes, it is perfectly possible to send money from Europe to the States using either service.

Bartek

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes Customhouse is xe.com. I have had no problems with customhouse. I have left a Cdn bank account open and left my parents the bank card to it. So if for some reason I geta Cdn cheque i mail it to them, they deposit it into the Cdn acct then I transfer it with customhouse. Much better rate than the bank with no fees at all. Takes af e days to iniatially set up the account as you have to send in documents (or scan and email, or fax) they do a phone interview, plus the $$ transacton takes 3-4 business days. But it still comes in handy

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Does anyone know of the most painless way to transfer his savings over to dollars?

Hey there...

I didn't bother transferring anything. I got offshore accounts - one in dollars one in pounds - and there's no fee to transfer between the two accounts. Of course, you still have the exchange rate to worry about. :unsure:

The only thing that sucks is that I get charged for ATM withdrawls. Boo!

Anyway, I didn't notice where you're from, but I used Lloyds TSB international, who have been really really good so far.

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had a settlement settled (was hit by a motorbike while walking in a park 2 years back) which was 5 figures in US dollars while I was in the US and my Dad transferred it for me via wire transfer from my bank in N.Ireland to my bank in Texas. Think it only cost about £25 so it was good for us. The exchange rate sucks right now to transfer dollars to pounds but to exchange pounds for dollars you are getting a fantastic rate!

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.