10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline

Hello friends, 

I was wondering if any of you had applied for DHS TRIP, known as a Redress Number?

I’ve just came back from my second trip abroad as a PR and for a second time I was sent to the secondary inspection room, where I spent 40 minutes before being let go. Same thing happened to me in January. I have completely no idea why as because I do not have a common name or any affiliations. I asked the officer but he gave me no answer whatsoever. Is there any way to avoid it next time? Any advice would be helpful!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had been a PR for almost 5 years when I applied for citizenship.  I had been hauled in to secondary twice while I was a PR when returning from Canada.  I had a very nice agent the last time when I asked him what the issue was , and how can I avoid this issue?".  He replied "only US citizens are guaranteed entrance in to the US". 

In short, it may happen again.  No guarantees until you are a US citizen.

Good luck 

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
4 minutes ago, canadian_wife said:

I had been a PR for almost 5 years when I applied for citizenship.  I had been hauled in to secondary twice while I was a PR when returning from Canada.  I had a very nice agent the last time when I asked him what the issue was , ad how can I avoid this issue?".  He replied "only US citizens are guaranteed entrance in to the US". 

In short, it may happen again.  No guarantees until you are a US citizen.

Good luck 

Guaranteed  entry yes, that does not mean you are guaranteed not to go to secondary. I also do not have a common name and was stopped many time and went to secondary when i was a PR. What i would suggest is to get clearance and sign up for Global entry. This is not a guarantee of going to secondary or not, but the likelihood is much much smaller.  So far in the almost 5 years i had GE i have not been stopped or send to secondary.  I am USC and did travel about 13 times outside the US in the last 4 - 5 years. The $100 is worth the time spent to get it. It takes me 5 minutes to get from Immigration kiosk to the outside in ATL.

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline
1 hour ago, Alabamak1 said:

Guaranteed  entry yes, that does not mean you are guaranteed not to go to secondary. I also do not have a common name and was stopped many time and went to secondary when i was a PR. What i would suggest is to get clearance and sign up for Global entry. This is not a guarantee of going to secondary or not, but the likelihood is much much smaller.  So far in the almost 5 years i had GE i have not been stopped or send to secondary.  I am USC and did travel about 13 times outside the US in the last 4 - 5 years. The $100 is worth the time spent to get it. It takes me 5 minutes to get from Immigration kiosk to the outside in ATL.

Thank you so much! I have just inquired with DHS TRIP, if this doesn’t work I definitely will look into global entry :) 

Timeline
Just now, Bzlibem said:

Thank you so much! I have just inquired with DHS TRIP, if this doesn’t work I definitely will look into global entry :) 

Not to sound like a used car salesman, but Global Entry:

a) quick entry to the USA, no immigration (just kiosk) answer 4 questions , only customs is the only person you either hand your printout ticket or when so to secondary (very rare)

b) you also get TSA-Precheck included to be used for domestic flight and no need to empty your pocket, take off shoes and get your laptop out of your bag

c) a redress number doesn't give you the above...and since Global Entry is unique on that they have no confusion who you are, make sure no felonies or even misdemeanors as old as they may be because it can cause a denial and you loose $100.

d) GE is available at lots of different airports, so no trip wasted for interviews. 

e) as you can see...very versed in GE :D

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Timeline
4 hours ago, Alabamak1 said:

Not to sound like a used car salesman, but Global Entry:

a) quick entry to the USA, no immigration (just kiosk) answer 4 questions , only customs is the only person you either hand your printout ticket or when so to secondary (very rare)

b) you also get TSA-Precheck included to be used for domestic flight and no need to empty your pocket, take off shoes and get your laptop out of your bag

c) a redress number doesn't give you the above...and since Global Entry is unique on that they have no confusion who you are, make sure no felonies or even misdemeanors as old as they may be because it can cause a denial and you loose $100.

d) GE is available at lots of different airports, so no trip wasted for interviews. 

e) as you can see...very versed in GE :D

Damn 😁 ok what about the interview? What kind of questions do they ask? 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Bzlibem said:

Damn 😁 ok what about the interview? What kind of questions do they ask? 

the questions are pretty straight forward, relating to but not only to work, travels outside the country mainly. Nothing you have to worry about, unless you have some kinda conviction for smoking marihuana or similar drug offense or assault. Anything and everything that has a misdemeanor or more will show up. 

6 hours ago, Alabamak1 said:

They can still pull you into secondary questioning with a US passport? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, little immigrant said:

They can still pull you into secondary questioning with a US passport? 

yes, if you give them enough reasons to do this. It would actually be with customs and not Immigration. It's not outside their job/responsabilities to question any USC or foreigner when coming into the country. I came from a trip back from South America, was ill for days on before i even came back to the US. I was dehydrated and acting weird, because of the runs. To make this story short. The first thing before getting my luggage i was approached by an Immigration officer with a K-9....no smell from the pooch, he went on with his bussiness. Next was a CBP officer and he grilled me on everything under the sun, w/o secondary inspections. He didn't care to know I had the runs and or felt sick to my stomach. For all that was worth it...he didn't even ask for my passport or else. They must have seen me get of a certain flight and i was randomly picked on

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

the questions are pretty straight forward, relating to but not only to work, travels outside the country mainly. Nothing you have to worry about, unless you have some kinda conviction for smoking marihuana or similar drug offense or assault. Anything and everything that has a misdemeanor or more will show up. 

Thank you so much! You’ve been a great help :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.