Jump to content
Mina90

This site used to be welcoming

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

I'm really tempted to leave this site for good. I posted a topic earlier about a concern I had which was immigration-related plus it was linked to my husband's job. I had some great feedback from most folks who put my mind a little more at ease but I encountered some people who are just so negative and just like putting others down. I know we can just report those people but it's like a never-ending supply and someone who just has nothing nice to say appears. Perhaps I'm taking this a little personal because I was attacked personally, but I shouldn't have to be subjected to such on an immigration forum. I thought this place was open to anyone who wanted to share/discuss/ask about something immigration related (or even off-topic in that section), but here, I feel some people are just interested in policing what others should or shouldn't post. Some even go to the extent of being the judge, jury and executioner. 

 

I try to help people as much as I can even with a busy schedule as I've been through this whole process over the course of 5 years-start to finish, so I know how stressful, frustrating, time and energy consuming it can be. Whatever little help I can offer to those that need it, makes me feel good. I follow many threads on this site and continuously I see so much venom spouted. I know @Captain Ewok made this a family-friendly site but I don't see so many friendly responses on here nowadays nor treat anyone like family. I feel a little disappointed. VJ has been so close to me because I used this site when I had no idea what anything immigration related was and all the knowledge I have now is thanks to this site. I'm not saying people need to pretend to be nice or friendly, but I think there should be a better way to filter out the negative people.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mina90 said:

Hey all,

I'm really tempted to leave this site for good. I posted a topic earlier about a concern I had which was immigration-related plus it was linked to my husband's job. I had some great feedback from most folks who put my mind a little more at ease but I encountered some people who are just so negative and just like putting others down. I know we can just report those people but it's like a never-ending supply and someone who just has nothing nice to say appears. Perhaps I'm taking this a little personal because I was attacked personally, but I shouldn't have to be subjected to such on an immigration forum. I thought this place was open to anyone who wanted to share/discuss/ask about something immigration related (or even off-topic in that section), but here, I feel some people are just interested in policing what others should or shouldn't post. Some even go to the extent of being the judge, jury and executioner. 

 

I try to help people as much as I can even with a busy schedule as I've been through this whole process over the course of 5 years-start to finish, so I know how stressful, frustrating, time and energy consuming it can be. Whatever little help I can offer to those that need it, makes me feel good. I follow many threads on this site and continuously I see so much venom spouted. I know @Captain Ewok made this a family-friendly site but I don't see so many friendly responses on here nowadays nor treat anyone like family. I feel a little disappointed. VJ has been so close to me because I used this site when I had no idea what anything immigration related was and all the knowledge I have now is thanks to this site. I'm not saying people need to pretend to be nice or friendly, but I think there should be a better way to filter out the negative people.  :(

Hi Mina!  Thank you for being a VJ'er for the last 6 years!  I'd love to help shape the community tone.  Any suggestions on how moderators or other members can help filter out the noise?  I'm open to helping!  If there are things I could do let me know!


I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

twitter.gif facebook.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Captain Ewok said:

Hi Mina!  Thank you for being a VJ'er for the last 6 years!  I'd love to help shape the community tone.  Any suggestions on how moderators or other members can help filter out the noise?  I'm open to helping!  If there are things I could do let me know!

Hi Captain Ewok.

 

Thanks for your response. I had a person who first insulted where my family is from (I was born/raised in the US), he thought my verbiage was off so I must be a fake person or something because my people don't speak the way I do and somehow that negated what I said in a topic. This member called me an idiot and said I have a peanut brain. Which was uncalled for because this person has no idea I am a Biologist, a mother of 1, my husband is a software engineer and I come from a family who are all educated. I normally don't like bickering with anyone, but that truly bothered me. That user is also going around on other threads bringing up my thread (that I had closed because I didn't want any argument to ensue). He is bringing down my reputation here on VJ as well.

 

Is there a better way to fully block someone? The "ignored users" function seems a little rudimentary since you can still see the person's profile and such. I think maybe something more like what FB has where if you block someone, they can't see you at all or you can't see them at all. Also, I think it would be nice if someone who is habitually rude to others, that when they are reported, if Mods could look into their past posts and if they see a collection of negative responses, then maybe a ban may be in order? I'm just throwing some suggestions out there, I am unaware if any of these are already in practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mina, did you report this person at the time?

Rather than suffer in silence, hit the Report button when someone violates the Terms of Service.

This includes occasions when someone imports drama into another thread.


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TBoneTX said:

Mina, did you report this person at the time?

Rather than suffer in silence, hit the Report button when someone violates the Terms of Service.

This includes occasions when someone imports drama into another thread.

I did report one of their posts, but not all. I guess I should have reported all of their posts but I thought I would just let it go, but that member seemed super ticked off at my topic and at me. I suppose I should report the other post in a different thread that he brought the drama into. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A post has been removed and administrative action has been applied for violating the site's Terms of Service.

The TOS are found here:   http://www.visajourney.com/content/terms


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been going on for several years, it's nothing new and I don't think it's going to ever get better. All you can do is report and hope that a moderator will take it seriously and that you didn't report one of their friends because if you do they will either ignore it or kick you instead even if you didn't comment back. 

 

If you notice that it's always the same people being nasty you can always block them. 

 

 






Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Unidentified said:

This has been going on for several years, it's nothing new and I don't think it's going to ever get better. All you can do is report and hope that a moderator will take it seriously and that you didn't report one of their friends because if you do they will either ignore it or kick you instead even if you didn't comment back. 

 

If you notice that it's always the same people being nasty you can always block them. 

 

 

 

 

 

   I agree. My observation is that once in a while someone will join the site just to harass people asking immigration questions. More frequent are regular posters who seem to make the presumption that people asking questions have some kind of scam going on and jump all over the person asking. Also, once in a while we have knowledgeable posters who are just a bit gruff with their responses. 

 

  When more people are reporting someone, it does alert the moderators to a pattern of behavior more quickly. I am not in the upper forums much anymore, but I never hesitated to report people who were acting like jerks. Also if someone is asking a question they shouldn't, best for everyone to just to report it also. If someone has already responded to the question, I'm not sure it serves any purpose to have 15 more people leaving hostile responses.


995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×