Ladybird84

Question about the copy of the birth certificate from petitioner k1 visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ladybird84 said:

Hello,

I made a photocopy of my birth certificate, front and back, but the seal doesn't appear on the photocopies, is it a problem ? And what can I do about it ?

Why not just use your passport instead? Scan copies of the main pages and all instead? That shows your citizenship. Or just sned the original BC

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Timeline
10 minutes ago, Ladybird84 said:

Hello,

I made a photocopy of my birth certificate, front and back, but the seal doesn't appear on the photocopies, is it a problem ? And what can I do about it ?

Photocopy is fine.  It doesn't matter if the seal does not appear on the photocopy.  Send in a copy of your US passport if you are trying to prove US citizenship to file the I-129F.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I sent a photocopy of mine (as the petitioner) and it was evidently sufficient enough for them. But you can get a certified copy, which will have a seal on it - just look up where to get certified copies of your BC in your area. Ironically, although a photocopy was sufficient for USCIS, the same photocopy was not sufficient when applying for my passport, so I had to get a certified copy for that process and it was accepted.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

20 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I sent a photocopy of mine (as the petitioner) and it was evidently sufficient enough for them. But you can get a certified copy, which will have a seal on it - just look up where to get certified copies of your BC in your area. Ironically, although a photocopy was sufficient for USCIS, the same photocopy was not sufficient when applying for my passport, so I had to get a certified copy for that process and it was accepted.

The requirements are different.  Different things, different requirements.

I-129F instructions - send photocopies; originals only if requested.

US passport - original or certified copies.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jojo92122 said:

The requirements are different.  Different things, different requirements.

I-129F instructions - send photocopies; originals only if requested.

US passport - original or certified copies.

I'm aware they are two different things... passports aren't issued by USCIS. :)

That wasn't my point. Was only sharing that it's possible to get a certified copy if they felt the need to. I also shared that providing a photocopy for the I-129 in my case worked just fine.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

1 minute ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I'm aware they are two different things... passports aren't issued by USCIS. :)

That wasn't my point. Was only sharing that it's possible to get a certified copy if they felt the need to. I also shared that providing a photocopy for the I-129 in my case worked just fine.

Where did I say passports were issued by USCIS?  

My point is that different things requires different evidence.  This is especially true when going through the immigration process.  Follow the instructions for each step and don't assume the requirements are the same.  For example: photocopies for the I-129F and the NVC.  Originals at the interview.  

Timeline
Just now, Jojo92122 said:

Where did I say passports were issued by USCIS?  

My point is that different things requires different evidence.  This is especially true when going through the immigration process.  Follow the instructions for each step and don't assume the requirements are the same.  For example: photocopies for the I-129F and the NVC.  Originals at the interview.  

lol, Because you pointed out to me that they are unrelated, as though I wasn't aware. Apparently my sarcasm did not translate well. It was really a passive comment...I didn't tell them they had to have a certified copy for the I-129, but if someone feels better having a certified copy, they can certainly get one and my whole point in sharing what I did was to say....you can get one. Simple as that. Don't make it so complicated. ;)

Håll ut, y'all.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

for the application, a COPY is what is needed - for the petitioner if there is no passport to prove citizenship and for the beneficiary as a requirement.

The ORIGINAL certified copy will be needed for the beneficiary at the interview. If you mail the originals with the application, you will NOT get them back.

Many people, like myself (hello OCD my old friend), HAVE several certified copies so its not too big of an issue. I am the keeper of paperwork ;) LOLOL  If you do not have a certified copy, simply call the county clerks office from where you were born and ask them how to get one. If you don't live in the area, they will either direct you to how to order online or other steps you need to take (for myself,  the county I was born in in California does not have an online ordering system, and I had to print the application from their website and mail it in with my payment. It took .... a month or two to get it in the mail back form them)

US Passports (for anyone who doesn't know), DO require ORIGINAL documents, and they DO send them back to you.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.