ladyladyx

ACTIVE TUBERCULOSIS

9 posts in this topic

Yes! as in Yes! I have an ACTIVE TB!  "and it's infectious"! That was the word that hit me hard to my bones when i return for pulmonary evaluation 2 weeks after my sputum test! I almost die!  It was heart breaking.. I feel being tortured mentally. Went home told my family to see a doctor asap because i have a Tb. Everybody was in shocked  -- I don't have symptoms at all. I don't have cough or anything. This sputum test is getting me sick but i slowly accepted it. I learn not to expect too much, never assume, never complain, never ask..  just go with the flow of life..  Anyway my family members don't have TB. The next day i went to the Doctor a Pulmonologist  , got another xray and other tests. told him i have an active tb as saint Luke's told me. he then see my xray film and smile at me. He said " u have active tb? i said yes! and what is in my xray film? he said NOTHING! its just a small thing. I said but i need 6 months medication i need your help so i can get medicine and medical certificate he said ok.. he said maybe u have some "sensitivity"  i said what is that? he said never mind and gave me prescription and instructions. told me to come back after a month or if i feel anything not normal. --- I am taking this now religiously every morning 1 hour before breakfast. Do i feel some side effects? NO nothing. Am I getting better? NO! i don't know, i don't feel sick anyway.  How's my appetite to eat? It's the same. --- Yesterday I got a call from saint Luke's again told me to come back to saint Luke's because the doctor wants to talk to me about my culture result. I am so afraid now!!! Lots of things on my mind...  Does any of you have an idea why the doctor wants to talk to me about my culture result. My 8 weeks of culture is suppose to end on the first week of February. I'm really worried how if  the doctor will say i have few days to live! I will have heart attack!

Edited by ladyladyx

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the Philippines forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

SLEC contacted you to come in to meet with the doctor there, but instead you went to a private doctor?  So St. Luke's contacted you a 2nd time to come in and you still haven't returned?

SLEC must follow CDC guidelines and will process accordingly.    Do keep St Luke's informed as to any outside medications you have been taking.   The medication for DOT from St. Luke's is included in the medical fee you paid... no additional charge.

As for X-rays, the x-ray machines at St. Luke's are light years ahead of most anything at the average doctor's office or lab in the Philippines so I would give little credence to an "outside" X-ray.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

SLEC contacted you to come in to meet with the doctor there, but instead you went to a private doctor?  So St. Luke's contacted you a 2nd time to come in and you still haven't returned?

SLEC must follow CDC guidelines and will process accordingly.    Do keep St Luke's informed as to any outside medications you have been taking.   The medication for DOT from St. Luke's is included in the medical fee you paid... no additional charge.

As for X-rays, the x-ray machines at St. Luke's are light years ahead of most anything at the average doctor's office or lab in the Philippines so I would give little credence to an "outside" X-ray.

Saint Luke's gave me an option if i want to have medication outside saint Lukes i will need to let them know that i already taking medicine mail them my doctor's certification through LBC which i already did. I will go back to saint lukes on monday, since Im an hour flight from manila i could not just jump to the plane right away and its saturday today no clinic and sunday tomorrow.. 

I am not trying to make your life more stressful than it already is but you must read and understand the following that came from 

"If both the smear and MTB culture test revealed positive result, applicant will be required to undergo treatment here in our facility, if you decided to have the treatment done in the province, a repeat medical exam will be required, but you will have to wait 1 year after treatment outside is completed. This means that, applicant has to wait an additional 1 year after the end of acceptable TB treatment before doing the repeat medical examination."

I would recommend that you ask questions when you arrive at SLEC if this is still valid. Once you have confirmation and any additional information you will be able to make the right decision for you.  Good luck

BTW - please return back to this thread and update us to what you found out. This way we have up to date information from which others can have a good idea what they will face if indeed this happens to them. Kind of way of giving back to the "community" if you will. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

1 hour ago, Greenbaum said:

I am not trying to make your life more stressful than it already is but you must read and understand the following that came from 

"If both the smear and MTB culture test revealed positive result, applicant will be required to undergo treatment here in our facility, if you decided to have the treatment done in the province, a repeat medical exam will be required, but you will have to wait 1 year after treatment outside is completed. This means that, applicant has to wait an additional 1 year after the end of acceptable TB treatment before doing the repeat medical examination."

I would recommend that you ask questions when you arrive at SLEC if this is still valid. Once you have confirmation and any additional information you will be able to make the right decision for you.  Good luck

BTW - please return back to this thread and update us to what you found out. This way we have up to date information from which others can have a good idea what they will face if indeed this happens to them. Kind of way of giving back to the "community" if you will. 

Well the doctor told me this: If you choose to have treatment outside saint luke's you need to submit doctor's certificate through LBC. Update medical certificate before 6 months. Repeat medical after 6 months, if they find  the medicine  i got meet the standard of saint lukes then Im good. But if not, there's  another 6 months observation. (THAT IS 3 SPUTUM TESTS)CLEAR!  meaning 1 year all.  Well that's what the doctor told me. Not sure what the doctor told others.

10 hours ago, ladyladyx said:

Well the doctor told me this: If you choose to have treatment outside saint luke's you need to submit doctor's certificate through LBC. Update medical certificate before 6 months. Repeat medical after 6 months, if they find  the medicine  i got meet the standard of saint lukes then Im good. But if not, there's  another 6 months observation. (THAT IS 3 SPUTUM TESTS)CLEAR!  meaning 1 year all.  Well that's what the doctor told me. Not sure what the doctor told others.

Well, what was told to you is exactly what stated. Now consider this. If you want to shave off 6 months then stay in zmanila and complete the regiment wit SLEC or go the other way and do the treatment with your private Dr. Good luck with your decision.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'll agree with Greenbaum.

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this I can imagine it was quite a shock.

You will not die this year, or next year or even ten years from TB.  Left untreated you might die from in when you are sixty though.  You have a problem that many have and it is excellent that 1) you now know about it and 2) the experts at St Luke WILL tell you how to rid yourself of the infection in a way that is acceptable to them.

Facts: An estimated 200,000 to 600,000 Filipinos have active TB.  293 Filipinos out of 100,000 are being infected every year.  About 90% will NEVER develop symptoms.   Many millions of Filipinos have latent TB.  Latent TB may never become active but the risk is there.   TB is a world-wide problem.  It is still a problem in America.

Tuberculosis is a mycobacterium.  This type of bacteria is much, much harder to kill than most bacteria.  They say you have “active” bacteria in the sputum test.  This means that they took some of your sputum and placed it on a plate with nutrients and put it in an incubator.  The few mycobacteria that were in the sputum grew and grew until there were tens of thousands.  These are then analyzed.  Therefore, there has been no mistake.

Now for the good news:  Get treated properly and in time ALL TB bacteria in your body will die, you will be cured and you will live happily ever after.  It is that simple.  The problem is this:  You feel fine.  If you feel fine, many think : why bother with taking so many pills?  Therefore, some never start and many never finish the medication regime and they end up still having active or latent TB.

There is zero point in saying anything about your doctor or your pulmonologist, good or bad.  Though what I hear from what you say makes me cringe.   St. Lukes runs under American mandate meaning they do exactly what the USA demands.  They do NOT trust any other doctor or medical facility, period--unless they know them.  You could go to 5 doctors and take five sets of meds, they do not care.  Deal with them or have your visa delayed and maybe delayed again.  .  Comply or never come to America.  It is that simple, or unfortunately that complex.

If I was you and I could (economically speaking), I would work closely with St Lukes and do what makes them happy but still gets you the visa in the shortest amount of time.  If you cannot go to St. Luke’s consider asking St. Luke’s for a doctor in your area that St Luke’s trust.  It is possible that you could do a shorter drug regime and in that case, they might clear you in several months, not six or more months.  I am not a doctor but I think that it is unlikely that you even need a pulmonologist and a Public Health doctor affiliated with the Philippine government and therefore with St Luke’s might be a better option (ask St Lukes).  That  is not a suggestion rather something that you might use when you talk with St Lukes to see what can be done in the shortest amount of time.

Yes, you are infectious but TB does not transmit easily, still you might want to take some precautions especially with sick, elderly, children or people that you get physically close to.

This is a good source (I think): From: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tuberculosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351250

Protect your family and friends

If you have active TB, keep your germs to yourself. It generally takes a few weeks of treatment with TB medications before you're not contagious anymore. Follow these tips to help keep your friends and family from getting sick:

Stay home. Don't go to work or school or sleep in a room with other people during the first few weeks of treatment for active tuberculosis.  Ventilate the room. Tuberculosis germs spread more easily in small closed spaces where air doesn't move. If it's not too cold outdoors, open the windows and use a fan to blow indoor air outside.    Cover your mouth. Use a tissue to cover your mouth anytime you laugh, sneeze or cough. Put the dirty tissue in a bag, seal it and throw it away.    Wear a mask. Wearing a surgical mask when you're around other people during the first three weeks of treatment may help lessen the risk of transmission.

Finish your entire course of medication

This is the most important step you can take to protect yourself and others from tuberculosis. When you stop treatment early or skip doses, TB bacteria have a chance to develop mutations that allow them to survive the most potent TB drugs. The resulting drug-resistant strains are much more deadly and difficult to treat.

If you’ve been intimate with your partner you can either continue or wait the few weeks after starting medication.  Let your partner know and their doc might do one of the new tests such as the QFT-G and may repeat it perhaps 6 months after you are done with your med regime.

Again, I’m not a medical Practitioner, so this is simply thoughts and information.  Always rely on your doctor (or in this case St Lukes).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.