PennyandLenard

Balikbayan box

47 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, PennyandLenard said:

Anyone of you going on bakasyon to the Philippines soon? Have you booked your itinerary yet? Still waiting for the boss to approve my request for time off. I heard you can take your BB box with you if you are flying PAL.

I've already booked a trip for December 9 on United and JAL.  Not sure about the BB box.  I've flown PAL and they were strict on the checked bags.  They didn't seem to care about the carry on though.  I know they royally screw you if your bag is too big or weighs too much.  I suppose you can do that but I would think the cost would be ridiculous.  It is around $200 for a couple extra pounds.

I always travel light so that is why I am looking into the BB box for my future asawa's clothes and small appliances.  I want them to travel light too.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

2 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

That's weird then because my asawa and I totally want to retire there when we get older if you saw the earlier post then you would know what age I am right now. Even if I leave right now to the Philippines I can live comfortably off what I am making from the VA in Davao, even better in the outlying provinces and actually I would be saving even money compared to here. 

Why does she not want to come back to the Philippines to live, is she a citizen na or no? If she stayed in the USA and he left to Davao then he will be living big with all the local ladies.:jest:

She had dual citizenship, She has been in USA almost 20 years now.  He is 52 and just retired and got SS Disability and he has 3 rent houses in USA so he pretty much set for life. She is almost 40 with a MBA from Philippines University.  He wants her to move to Philippines with him and he offered to put her back in school in Philippines to become a lawyer so she could still work there.   I don't think she will go myself since she has a career in USA and makes fairly nice living.  

If she stays in USA then I suspect divorce and sell the house they are living in and he will find other choice for companionship in Philippines.  I guess we will find out more when he comes back in 4 months, I suspect he will give life  try in PHilippines

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

2 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah I knew the secret was out when I was there last time in my wife's town and I saw a Indian motorcycle rider around town, it turns out that he is a 5/6er. 

That's what I love about the Philippines a plane ride can be gotten for less than $100 on most occasions going almost anywhere in the country.

I have seen a few 5/6 guys whom were Indians. They make there rounds collecting their money.  

21 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I've already booked a trip for December 9 on United and JAL.  Not sure about the BB box.  I've flown PAL and they were strict on the checked bags.  They didn't seem to care about the carry on though.  I know they royally screw you if your bag is too big or weighs too much.  I suppose you can do that but I would think the cost would be ridiculous.  It is around $200 for a couple extra pounds.

I always travel light so that is why I am looking into the BB box for my future asawa's clothes and small appliances.  I want them to travel light too.

Man you are in for a treat if going around Christmas Time.  Kids will be coming up to you singing jingle the bells and wanting pesos. It pretty good time. It does get very very crowded there around Christmas time, since everyone goes back home from abroad.

What area do you plan to spend majority of your time in?

18 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Man you are in for a treat if going around Christmas Time.  Kids will be coming up to you singing jingle the bells and wanting pesos. It pretty good time. It does get very very crowded there around Christmas time, since everyone goes back home from abroad.

What area do you plan to spend majority of your time in?

We will mainly be between Pateros and the Ermita area.  A few side trips here and there.  I was there September 1st to see all the Christmas displays that start with the "...ber" months.  LOL  I realized that very few people there realize what "burr" really is!  It was 90 degrees there.  I get upset here when I see Christmas displays before Halloween but I really loved them there!  Hearing the stores playing Christmas music was very heartwarming to me.  Maybe it was because I was with Rose and the kids!

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 hour ago, John & Rose said:

We will mainly be between Pateros and the Ermita area.  A few side trips here and there.  I was there September 1st to see all the Christmas displays that start with the "...ber" months.  LOL  I realized that very few people there realize what "burr" really is!  It was 90 degrees there.  I get upset here when I see Christmas displays before Halloween but I really loved them there!  Hearing the stores playing Christmas music was very heartwarming to me.  Maybe it was because I was with Rose and the kids!

I have only extended stay a few times in Manila area, I do enjoy it up there.  Ermita has a lot of entertainment at night.  There was a club called Cowboys Grill in Ermita I used to really enjoy that place. It is huge and comparable to a Country Western Bar in USA and it has Air con and it nice and cool in there.    Enjoy the times there, Wish I was going but work is out of control here and I can't leave, but I hope to make a trip in February.

52 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

I have only extended stay a few times in Manila area, I do enjoy it up there.  Ermita has a lot of entertainment at night.  There was a club called Cowboys Grill in Ermita I used to really enjoy that place. It is huge and comparable to a Country Western Bar in USA and it has Air con and it nice and cool in there.    Enjoy the times there, Wish I was going but work is out of control here and I can't leave, but I hope to make a trip in February.

What do you do for a living?

1 minute ago, Chris Duffy said:

I have a service company, with a handful of employees. I am in the limelight of my career. Hopefully...............

Ahhh ok. :)

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 10/16/2017 at 11:14 PM, John & Rose said:

Do I contact LBC in Manila?  This is all new to me but the more I think of it, the better I like it.  I prefer that they travel lighter if possible.

You?  No.   Your fiancee should contact the LBC nearest her about shipping a box.

K I S S

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

8 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

You?  No.   Your fiancee should contact the LBC nearest her about shipping a box.

K I S S

That makes sense!  Thank you. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Pateros is a balut country. I've been there a few times and I made sure I bring home the famous Pateros balut back home to Sampaloc

5 hours ago, PennyandLenard said:

Pateros is a balut country. I've been there a few times and I made sure I bring home the famous Pateros balut back home to Sampaloc

Oh yes!!!  Supposedly it was “invented” there. I’ve had balut in Pateros and Davao. Pateros is better and I have no idea how to explain that. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Oh yes!!!  Supposedly it was “invented” there. I’ve had balut in Pateros and Davao. Pateros is better and I have no idea how to explain that. 

Pateros makes the best balut in the Philippines. I have relatives who live in Pateros. The best time to visit is when there is fiesta.  It's a long bus and jeepney ride going there but it's worth the trip. 

4 minutes ago, PennyandLenard said:

Pateros makes the best balut in the Philippines. I have relatives who live in Pateros. The best time to visit is when there is fiesta.  It's a long bus and jeepney ride going there but it's worth the trip. 

YES!!!  I was there for fiesta this year!  My future asawa judged the singing competition.  I really love it there.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.