Reza and Kelly

Is it okay if my documentation for the affidavit of support is one and a half months old?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I filled out my affidavit of support for my fiance at the end of July, but it looks like his interview will not be until mid to late September. Is this okay, or should I fill it out again with my updated information? Also, does anyone have experience with getting a RFE during the fiance interview? I'm afraid I might not have enough documentation for my affidavit of support and was wondering how long it would take to get that information and reschedule an interview? We're applying at the embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia by the way. :D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Has anything changed since you filled it out? Different job? No job now? If no changes, then I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe send your fiance more recent pay stubs (assuming you're an employee and not an independent contractor or unemployed), but that's it. I certainly wouldn't reschedule the interview. Even if you have to re-do the I-134, it is easy to do and just e-mail a copy to your fiance.

Jakarta is a pretty easy going embassy. They didn't even look at my financial documents or the I-134 when they interviewed my now-wife (but did ask a few questions about my job).

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Reza and Kelly said:

I filled out my affidavit of support for my fiance at the end of July, but it looks like his interview will not be until mid to late September. Is this okay, or should I fill it out again with my updated information? Also, does anyone have experience with getting a RFE during the fiance interview? I'm afraid I might not have enough documentation for my affidavit of support and was wondering how long it would take to get that information and reschedule an interview? We're applying at the embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia by the way. :D

My supporting documentation for the I-134 was 2 months old by the time of the interview. We got our K-1 visa issued with no questions asked about the I-134. If nothing has changed regarding your financial situation, I, too, think you have nothing to worry about.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

Has anything changed since you filled it out? Different job? No job now? If no changes, then I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe send your fiance more recent pay stubs (assuming you're an employee and not an independent contractor or unemployed), but that's it. I certainly wouldn't reschedule the interview. Even if you have to re-do the I-134, it is easy to do and just e-mail a copy to your fiance.

Jakarta is a pretty easy going embassy. They didn't even look at my financial documents or the I-134 when they interviewed my now-wife (but did ask a few questions about my job).

Would e-mailing a copy of the I-134 be an issue since there would not be a "wet" signature on it? Not sure if that is a requirement or not...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Thanks everyone! Well we have bought a car since then which kind of wiped out one of my savings account, but then I would have added that to our assets list. But otherwise nothing has changed! :D Thoughts? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Reza and Kelly said:

Thanks everyone! Well we have bought a car since then which kind of wiped out one of my savings account, but then I would have added that to our assets list. But otherwise nothing has changed! :D Thoughts? 

Does your income alone qualify you to be a sponsor without needing a co-sponsor? If so, I would go with what you currently have as proof. I personally did not show any of my savings or my 2nd bank account as I make well above the threshold.

Timeline

I am not personally familiar with the co-sponsor process, but from what I understand they will look at your co-sponsor's information to make the determination. If it were me going through the process, I would not feel the need to update the documents. But by all means, if someone who has gone through a similar process in terms of having a co-sponsor has better information to add, please do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.