Kevo

Visa for long stay in Philippines?

10 posts in this topic

Hello, question for those of you that may know:

I'm planning on going to the Philippines with my Filipina wife for approximately 4 months.  From what I read on the State Dept website tourists staying over 30 days need to apply for a visa extension. 

My wife is insisting I won't need a visa, because I'll be with her.  I can't find anything supporting that.  

Nevermind, found it on the Philippines embassy website. 

Balikbayan Program

Under the "Balikbayan Program" of the Philippines, the following persons are considered Balikbayans:

• a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one year from the date of last departure;
  • a Filipino Overseas Worker; and
  • a former Filipino citizen who had been naturalized in a foreign country and holds a foreign passport (original proof of former Philippine citizenship, such as old Philippine passport, birth certificate, or foreign naturalization papers showing Filipino nationality will be required).

Balikbayans are entitled to the following benefits:

• travel tax exemption
  • visa-free entry to the Philippines for a period of one year from the date of arrival in the Philippines
  • duty-free shopping privileges up to US$1,500.00

Family members (spouse and children) of a Balikbayan who are holding foreign passports are also entitled to Balikbayan privileges, on the condition that they:

• travel with the Balikbayan;
  • pay any applicable immigration fees; and
  • observe and comply with immigration rules and regulations.

(proof of affiliation may be required)

Your wife's  Philippines passport and marriage certificate will be the most you'll need to avail yourself of the one year visa for you. There is good information from the prior two posts. Make yourself familiar with the information contained therein and then go and kiss your wife and tell her she is a genious. :jest:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kevo said:

Hello, question for those of you that may know:

I'm planning on going to the Philippines with my Filipina wife for approximately 4 months.  From what I read on the State Dept website tourists staying over 30 days need to apply for a visa extension. 

My wife is insisting I won't need a visa, because I'll be with her.  I can't find anything supporting that.  

You don't need a visa.   When you arrive at NAIA (or whichever airport in the Philippines) stay in the same line with your wife, when you hand over your passport simply ask for the BB stamp (Balikbayan Privilege) .  We have never had an issue with this at the airport, been doing it for a number of years.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:13 AM, xyz12345 said:

Here it is. As long as you entered the Philippines together, you'll be fine. If your wife is a naturalized American, she has to bring her old Philippine passport as proof.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-previlege

They are pretty liberal with handing them out. You can also have your American born kids use the BB privilege as well.  They do not have to be her direct children.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

On 8/6/2017 at 4:11 AM, Kevo said:

Balikbayan Program

Under the "Balikbayan Program" of the Philippines, the following persons are considered Balikbayans:

• a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one year from the date of last departure;

Just curious...If I read this correctly even though you are a Filipino citizen, if you leave for over a year you will need a Balikbayan stamp to stay over a month? 

Filed: Timeline
1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

Just curious...If I read this correctly even though you are a Filipino citizen, if you leave for over a year you will need a Balikbayan stamp to stay over a month? 

i never got a balikbayan stamp, just an arrival stamp even though I've been away for a year. a citizen is a citizen is a citizen so you can stay as long as you want. you won't be exempt from travel tax though if you stay for more than 1 year. that's a balikbayan privilege.

35 minutes ago, xyz12345 said:

i never got a balikbayan stamp, just an arrival stamp even though I've been away for a year. a citizen is a citizen is a citizen so you can stay as long as you want. you won't be exempt from travel tax though if you stay for more than 1 year. that's a balikbayan privilege.

That's what I don't understand. If you are a Filipino citizen with a valid Philippines passport, why should you have to pay a travel tax if you leave for over a year and then return, then want to leave again say 2 years later? Makes no sense to me. As a USC as far as I know I am able to come and go as I please as long as I have a valid US Passport.

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, RO_AH said:

That's what I don't understand. If you are a Filipino citizen with a valid Philippines passport, why should you have to pay a travel tax if you leave for over a year and then return, then want to leave again say 2 years later? Makes no sense to me. As a USC as far as I know I am able to come and go as I please as long as I have a valid US Passport.

all i can say is that that's the way it is. as a US permanent resident, i also don't like the idea of paying US taxes on a worldwide income but that's the way it is. it's  nice that there are earning exemptions though.

if you go to the tieza.gov.ph/travel-tax/, then check out which foreign passport holders are required to pay full travel tax. definitely if you are only staying less than a year then you are exempted. if staying for more than a year, then even a non filipino may be required to pay the travel tax.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.