iran33

Green Card without Degree - From F1 visa

54 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Nathan&Emily, sure... I'm a web developer... there are MANY different ways you can label a web developer such as Web Developer, Software Developer, Front-end Developer, etc... My main focus today is React Native and Ionic 2, so I don't think it's easy enough to find another one that uses React Native and/or Ionic 2 or 1 with 2yrs of experience in Ionic, for example.

Alright, so not trying to burst your bubble or anything like that, at the end of the day you decide it yourself, but your knowledge of two frameworks with 2 years of experience is not necessarily something that puts you in the "irreplaceable" category in the US.

That said, the company can file a PERM for it, and the PERM itself is time-consuming. Not "years-time consuming" but about 6 months. During that time, you will need to be on some sort of either work authorization (you are on OPT or CPT in F-1 status) or you are in H-1B, which is a lottery and not guaranteed.

PERM itself is not a declaration of immigration intent. Department of Labor does not take any fee for it, but like others have mentioned, from your experience and type of experience, it has a high probability of just being denied outright. So in this case you wasted 6 months waiting when you could, say, finish your degree, get another internship under your belt and get closer to actually having the necessary experience.

Your immigration intent is only declared when the company will file for I-140, which can only be filled with an approved PERM.

Edited by KurosawaSan

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Kurosawa, that's helpful.. so... if immigration has no access to PERM, it won't affect my "future". I guess I will go ahead with PERM. I know there is a risk to be denied but it won't affect my future, so "I have nothing to lose". As I said I already have my CPT approved so that's not the problem.

In case the PERM be approved and I demonstrate intent to immigrate (I-140), chances to be denied are low once the PERM is approved, right?

Thank you

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You are not going to get a green card as a skilled worker. Why does the employer need you here in the US when you can e-mail your work to them from anywhere in the world? This is why work is outsourced to India. No need to bring the worker to the US.

You are grasping at straws.

What is your relationship with your prospective employer? Relatives? Friends? You paying them?

The PERM for a web developer with no degree will never be approved when skilled college graduates in computer science are lucky to get a work visa.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

I guess you have no idea what you are talking about.

How many PERMs APPROVED you want I send you for Web Developer position? You can go to PERM Stats website and see by yourself.

You don't seem to be understanding the PERM process. Read up: https://www.foreignlaborcert.doleta.gov/perm.cfm

Keep in mind:

The DOL must certify to the USCIS that there are not sufficient U.S. workers able, willing, qualified and available to accept the job opportunity in the area of intended employment and that employment of the foreign worker will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.

Your employer will have to prove that there are (1) no web developers with your skills in the US (based on your description that is highly unlikely) and (2) they will pay you a significant salary and not just a cut of what USC/GC holders get. That in itself is a huge roadblock that you are responsible for providing proof to overcome. Read up on prevailing wages.

Or just read here a simplified version:

http://www.hooyou.com/lc/perm_requirement.html

All in all, like others have mentioned, you don't seem to have qualifications and your employer seems sketchy at best if, with no degree and extensive experience, they are willing to file a PERM application. Remember that even when filling PERM, you expose your employer to potential audit by the US Government to make sure that everything they are doing is actually true and their application is not fraudulent.

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Kurosawa,

I do understand the PERM process and the affirmation: "you will never get a PERM without a degree" is a lie. That was what I mean.

I'm gonna start my PERM process and I will update this post when I get the result.

Thank you,

Timeline

Kurosawa,

I do understand the PERM process and the affirmation: "you will never get a PERM without a degree" is a lie. That was what I mean.

I'm gonna start my PERM process and I will update this post when I get the result.

Thank you,

Without being extraordinary in your field, that is wasted effort, but do keep us posted on the progress. I will be shocked if this this goes through.

Keep in mind, that after PERM scrutiny, you and your employer will be scrutinized during the I-140 filling, as that is one of the key parts.

Edited by KurosawaSan

Timeline

Guys,

Take a look on PERM statistics please... you will see PERM approved for waitresses, electricians, and many other non-extraordinary jobs.

Can you link us to PERM statistics that show waitresses being approved?

How many of those have I-140 approved?

Timeline

http://dolstats.com/ I've sent only CERTIFIED applications. Just paste the case number

Look, we're not here to stop you from filling - do what you wish. Good to be optimistic, but do take this with a grain of realism and understand that there is a high-chance of getting rejected. Even with approved PERM, there is a probability that I-140 will be rejected, and at that time you have declared immigration intent.

If the process is as easy as you describe where anyone can file form PERM and then just get a green card, nobody would bother with advanced degrees or even work visas, and would just find the nearest pizza joint and file for permanent residence the moment they step into the US.

Edited by KurosawaSan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.