Jump to content

Japan - Post Marriage or Post Greencard Paperwork

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

After a long process of filling out paperwork and oh so much waiting, my wife and I are finally settled in the United States, married and with green card in hand! However we may have some additional paperwork...

My wife has heard that there is additional paperwork that needs to be filed standard within 6 months after marriage with the Japanese government as well as some other possible forms/documents that we may be required to complete to update the record offices of Japan. These may now require a lawyer due to being overdue. I believe this includes a surname change as well as wedding registration with proof of certificate. I know this forum is largely for the K-1 process, but with such a wide array of people here I thought maybe someone would be kind enough to share their experience with post-visa US Marriage to a Japanese citizen.

For reference:

December 2015 - K-1 Visa acquired

January 2016 - Marriage completed with certificate

March 2016 - Permanent Residence paperwork filed

June 2016 - Request for further evidence

November 2016 - Green Card arrival


January 2017 - US Social Security Name Change

Any help is much appreciated - Thanks!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

What you're asking about is the kon-in todoke, koseki, and related paperwork. The Japanese Embassy website says that Japanese getting married to 'foreigners' overseas need to contact the nearest consulate directly. http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/j/koseki/marriage_top.html

The time period for registering the marriage is within 3 months, but if you miss it they have a little form to fill out. http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/j/koseki/konin_chien.htm

Unfortunately the time period for registering a name change appears to be 6 months and if you miss it then you might have to go to court inside Japan. They have a phone number listed for consultation if that's the case.

Your wife should check the embassy's web page directly.

Other than that, Congrats!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've reached out to the consulate and nativeson's info is exactly what I was looking for so that I could speak intelligently to the consulate representative once I have a chance to talk to them- thank you both!

Looks like we will have to do the name change on our next vacation heading back over, but that should be no problem. :)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.