Kosi Wahala

I-130 December 2016 Filers

1,031 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Macedonia
Timeline

I should hear any day now, it was delivered on the 15th....

Doesn't anyone know: if you are in the process of doing the I-130 visa but want to bring your spouse with you to visit your folks in the states, how easy it is to get a tourist visa for a short visa. They have never met and we also want to try have our wedding in June... and there is no way the I-130 will be done by then...

Thanks

K&D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just sent in my paperwork yesterday - to beat the Dec 23rd deadline before the filing fee increase :joy: It was sent to Chicago lockbox by USPS overnight for 12:00pm delivery today. I live abroad (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) so I had to send it my family in the US to get a money order added first, which tacked on some time.

After that, no idea what to expect as far as timing. Things seem to move pretty quickly at the Rio consulate from what I've read (plus based on my experiences there for citizen services they're relatively on top of it) so the big blank spot is which service center we get sent to... fingers crossed!

Gonna try not to obsess about it and just enjoy the holiday season now that I know it's out of my hands. Happy Holidays to you all!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I should hear any day now, it was delivered on the 15th....

Doesn't anyone know: if you are in the process of doing the I-130 visa but want to bring your spouse with you to visit your folks in the states, how easy it is to get a tourist visa for a short visa. They have never met and we also want to try have our wedding in June... and there is no way the I-130 will be done by then...

Thanks

K&D

Are you already married, and the June wedding is just a second ceremony for family purposes? Because if you are not already married, then you should have filed for a fiancé (I-129 visa), not a spouse visa.

With that said, it is unlikely you would be approved for a tourist visa with a spouse visa pending. The counsulate won't have a strong feeling of assurance that you would return to your home country, as the spouse visa essentially shows that your ties to the United States are stronger than any ties back home, that would cause you to return.

CR-1 Visa

Married in Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria on 29 September 2016 - Civil Marriage
** USCIS **

Service Center: Potomac

Consulate : Lagos, Nigeria 

I-130 Sent: 2016-12-03

I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2016-12-05

I-130 NOA1: 2016-12-08

Oko mi was baptized, confirmed, and received into the Catholic Church in Akure, Nigeria: 2017-04-15 at the Easter Vigil Mass!

Marriage Convalidated in the Catholic Church, Akure, Nigeria: 2017-04-16 Easter Morning! 

I-130 Approved : 2017-05-19

** NVC **

NVC Received : 2017-06-01

NVC Case Number Assigned: 2017-06-15
Received DS-261/AOS Bill: 2017-06-21

Pay AOS Bill: 2017-06-21
Receive IV Bill : 2017-06-23
Pay IV Bill : 2017-06-23

Receive I-864 Package : 2017-06-28

Send AOS Package : 2017-07-01

Submit DS-261 :  2017-06-21

Send IV Package : 2017-07-01
Scan Date: 2017-07-07

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : 2017-09-30

Case Completed at NVC : 2017-09-01

----------------------------

Interview Date : 2017-11-22

Interview Result : Approved! Thanks be to God!

Visa Received : 2017-11-27
US Entry : 2017-12-08 Atlanta

Timeline

Hi Kosi

Yes sorry should remember to clarify, we are married but just in the civil ceremony. We want to have a wedding with the family in the states and then the church wedding back in Macedonia. Maybe if we have already scheduled the Macedonia wedding it will show proof that we are returning.

Thanks for the advice

K&D

Timeline

Just checked the bank and the check has cleared..... hoping to hear today or tomorrow where we are being sent to.... crossing fingers and toes it's a good one

K&D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi Kosi

Yes sorry should remember to clarify, we are married but just in the civil ceremony. We want to have a wedding with the family in the states and then the church wedding back in Macedonia. Maybe if we have already scheduled the Macedonia wedding it will show proof that we are returning.

Thanks for the advice

K&D

It's highly unlikely that they would look at the wedding in Macedonia as a compelling reason to return. The laundry list of things they look for are ties to a current and stable career with a good income, children, a home, etc. There have been many cases wherein a person who already holds a United States tourist visa has been turned away by CBP when they reach the USA, as soon as CBP sees that there is a fiance or spouse visa application in progress.

Unfortunately, the only option you really have is to go visit your spouse there. I wish that weren't the case, but sadly it is.

CR-1 Visa

Married in Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria on 29 September 2016 - Civil Marriage
** USCIS **

Service Center: Potomac

Consulate : Lagos, Nigeria 

I-130 Sent: 2016-12-03

I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2016-12-05

I-130 NOA1: 2016-12-08

Oko mi was baptized, confirmed, and received into the Catholic Church in Akure, Nigeria: 2017-04-15 at the Easter Vigil Mass!

Marriage Convalidated in the Catholic Church, Akure, Nigeria: 2017-04-16 Easter Morning! 

I-130 Approved : 2017-05-19

** NVC **

NVC Received : 2017-06-01

NVC Case Number Assigned: 2017-06-15
Received DS-261/AOS Bill: 2017-06-21

Pay AOS Bill: 2017-06-21
Receive IV Bill : 2017-06-23
Pay IV Bill : 2017-06-23

Receive I-864 Package : 2017-06-28

Send AOS Package : 2017-07-01

Submit DS-261 :  2017-06-21

Send IV Package : 2017-07-01
Scan Date: 2017-07-07

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : 2017-09-30

Case Completed at NVC : 2017-09-01

----------------------------

Interview Date : 2017-11-22

Interview Result : Approved! Thanks be to God!

Visa Received : 2017-11-27
US Entry : 2017-12-08 Atlanta

Timeline

Hi Kosi

Thanks for the input. Luckily I will be living with him in Macedonia while we wait for the I-130, we were just hoping to have the wedding in spring or summer.... my mom has MS so if she ends up coming to visit it will be one time for the Macedonian wedding.

Thanks again

K&D

Timeline

We just the email .. they have sent us to Nebraska as well... bummer!

I think people say it's at least 6mth for Nebraska and then US embassy in Macedonia has a 6mth wait for interview

K&D

We sent our I-130 on 12/06, they received it on 12/08. Our NOA1 is dated 12/14 and our case has been sent to Texas Service Center. Has anyone else been sent to TSC?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

@Daneandkathy I saw your package was received the 15th and your NOA is dated the 16th.  Are you sharing the date from the date you received e-notification or the date on the paper letter in hand?  Snail mail usually takes about 3-4 weeks to get here from the US, so I'm not holding my breath.  Just wondering how antsy I should be to get the email...

Edited by ashular

Timeline

I swear the lockbox staff must read this site to see when we're getting nervous -- I got my NOA by email this evening.  Nebraska, blargh... I guess the long wait isn't such a bad thing in our case, as our lease here goes through September anyway.

Hi Everyone! First time posting!! I sent my 1-130 packet on Dec 22nd! ( yeap right before the fees increased) My spouse is Ecuadorian and I am the U.S Citizen.  I currently work for the U.N and reside in Quito,  Ecuador.  I was home (in DC) for the holidays so I sent my package thru snailmail to the Chicago Lockbox. The package arrived to Chicago on the 27th. Its been 7 business days and no e-mail nor has my personal check been cashed. I'm getting anxious.  Hopefully I receive some feedback!! I can already tell this whole anxiety ####### lol will be the theme of this year till this whole thing is over!! Good luck to you all!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.