jg121783

A few questions about trip to Philippines in a week

59 posts in this topic

First off congratulations on meeting a Filipina woman and wanting to marry her. Yesterday, was our 3rd wedding anniversary and we are very happy. Where in the Philippines will you be going? I really suggest to you if you can to get outside of Manila, visit her family, and just enjoy the sites and sounds of the Philippines. Yes, it will be a culture shock but it's a good one.

It is good that she wants to go with you everywhere you are going because they WILL take advantage of you and some women will try to as well. So it's good to have her there to help translate, my wife still insists on doing that in Manila. When we are in Davao City or Compostela Valley it's ok because I am more familiar with the area. Don't worry to much about customs just don't bring anything illegal in, and the 2 laptops should be fine. When I went there in June I brought 2 chromebooks and my laptop, and everything worked out fine.

First off congratulations on meeting a Filipina woman and wanting to marry her. Yesterday, was our 3rd wedding anniversary and we are very happy. Where in the Philippines will you be going? I really suggest to you if you can to get outside of Manila, visit her family, and just enjoy the sites and sounds of the Philippines. Yes, it will be a culture shock but it's a good one.

It is good that she wants to go with you everywhere you are going because they WILL take advantage of you and some women will try to as well. So it's good to have her there to help translate, my wife still insists on doing that in Manila. When we are in Davao City or Compostela Valley it's ok because I am more familiar with the area. Don't worry to much about customs just don't bring anything illegal in, and the 2 laptops should be fine. When I went there in June I brought 2 chromebooks and my laptop, and everything worked out fine.

We will be staying in Binan city where she lives most of the time I am there. Other than that we will stay in Manila for 2 days while I wait for my embassy appointment and maybe another day or 2 before I leave. In addition to the laptop I got her I will bring a few other electronics like a headset (She has went through 4 of them already because it is hard to find one that lasts where she lives) which is new in its original packaging. Should I take stuff like that out of the package to make it look used or does it not matter? I am also concerned about security personnel both here in the US (TSA) and in the Philippines stealing stuff out of my luggage so I will keep all my valuable stuff in my carry on.

On another note I will be choosing the hotel we will stay at in Manila by the end of the day today. Has anyone heard of the Copacabana Apartment Hotel? It looks like a decent place to stay for a good price. It is near the Mall of Asia too so we will have stuff to do the first day I am there. I like how it has a kitchen so we can cook our own food and save some money. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a hotel close to the airport or embassy that isn't too expensive but still fairly decent?

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Its a good call that you got an ac. :)

it would be best to put all electronics in your carry on.

My husband and i fell in love with starlight b&b... its very affordable and near mall of asia too. :) you sould check it out :) it doesnt have a kitchen though. Oh and btw, binan is pretty near manila so in my opinion get out of manila as soon as you can lol.

K1 VISA :)
02-25-2015: I-129f sent
03-03-2015: NOA1
03-25-2015: NOA2
04-29-2015: Medical (passed)
05-18-2015: Interview (approved) yay!
05-21-2015: Issued! ?
06-25-2015: US entry

AOS
09-16-2015: Sent AOS, EAD and AP packets
09-22-2015: NOA

10-15-2015: Biometrics

11-20-2015: EAD and AP approval

12-21-2015: Interview

12-30-2015: AOS approval :)

ROC

11-02-2017: I-751 sent

11-07-2017: NOA1

11-30-2017: Biometrics

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

We will be staying in Binan city where she lives most of the time I am there. Other than that we will stay in Manila for 2 days while I wait for my embassy appointment and maybe another day or 2 before I leave. In addition to the laptop I got her I will bring a few other electronics like a headset (She has went through 4 of them already because it is hard to find one that lasts where she lives) which is new in its original packaging. Should I take stuff like that out of the package to make it look used or does it not matter? I am also concerned about security personnel both here in the US (TSA) and in the Philippines stealing stuff out of my luggage so I will keep all my valuable stuff in my carry on.

On another note I will be choosing the hotel we will stay at in Manila by the end of the day today. Has anyone heard of the Copacabana Apartment Hotel? It looks like a decent place to stay for a good price. It is near the Mall of Asia too so we will have stuff to do the first day I am there. I like how it has a kitchen so we can cook our own food and save some money. Does anyone have any other recommendations for a hotel close to the airport or embassy that isn't too expensive but still fairly decent?

There is a hotel topic pinned to the top of the topics page to help with your hotels near the embassy and St. Luke's.

You should have no issue with the electronics, we brought two laptops, 7 tablets and a few other devices to the Phils last trip, none was in original packaging, some were gifts some came home again. As long as none of them are for resale you have no issues.

The expressway is very nice heading south toward Binan City. If you get the change take a trip up to Tagaytay and Taal Lake as well.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

When we left with the chromebooks we left them in the box and kept them in the carry on bags just for that reason, because I had some expensive sunglasses stolen when my wife put it my checked baggage. I didn't find that out until I got back to Afghanistan and they were gone.

Actually we stayed in that hotel back in June. It's a decent hotel for a one or two night stay that's it, and it is right down the street from MOA and not far from the US embassy. Last time we stayed there in June my wife stayed two nights with her sister, while I only did one night then I came back here. We ate out one time in MOA, and then we bought the rest of our food in the grocery store there and they cooked it in the kitchen. So yes the kitchen is a BIG plus.

Thanks for the replies everyone. You have given me some valuable information. I have a couple more questions. The first one is I want to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend (I would call her my fiancee but I haven't actually proposed yet lol). We have talked about looking at them when I get there. I kind of lied and told her I wont have enough money until I get paid a few days before I leave so we can do it then. What I really want to do is suprise her on her birthday which is the 20th and propose to her (even though she has already told me yes) and give her the ring then. Any recommendations on buying an engagement ring in the Philippines (I am still trying to figure out a way to buy it when I get there without her knowing)? I am just looking for a basic gold ring and I will get her something nicer when we get married. The other thing is I want to ask her father for permission to marry her before I propose. The only problem is he doesn't speak any English and I still need a lot of work on my Tagalog (I'm hoping I will learn at least a little just by being there and talking to people). Any tips for that lol?

My other questions are about my luggage. I am trying to travel as light as possible and don't want to take any more clothes and stuff like that than I have to. What would you recommend I take as a bare minumum? I plan on maybe buying some clothes when I get there and maybe even leave them there for my next trip. Is this a good idea? I don't want to go over my weight limit for my bags because it is $100 for each bag then and I want to take as few bags as possible. I am flying on Cathay Pacific from Chicago by the way. Does anyone have any experience with them? Also any recommendations for how to pass the time on a 15 hour plane ride (to Hong Kong then 2 and a half hours more from there)? Like I said this will be my first time on a plane and it is a long flight for my first time lol. I will be going right after work to the airport next Monday morning (I work the night shift) without sleeping so maybe I will sleep for a while but other than that and maybe watching movies on my laptop I don't know.

Sorry for all the questions. Feel fee to answer whichever ones you want lol. I am excited for my trip but I am a little nervous now that it is so close. Anyways thanks again for all the information. It is nice that I have found people that have gone through what I will be going through lol

Thanks for the replies everyone. You have given me some valuable information. I have a couple more questions. The first one is I want to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend (I would call her my fiancee but I haven't actually proposed yet lol). We have talked about looking at them when I get there. I kind of lied and told her I wont have enough money until I get paid a few days before I leave so we can do it then. What I really want to do is suprise her on her birthday which is the 20th and propose to her (even though she has already told me yes) and give her the ring then. Any recommendations on buying an engagement ring in the Philippines (I am still trying to figure out a way to buy it when I get there without her knowing)? I am just looking for a basic gold ring and I will get her something nicer when we get married. The other thing is I want to ask her father for permission to marry her before I propose. The only problem is he doesn't speak any English and I still need a lot of work on my Tagalog (I'm hoping I will learn at least a little just by being there and talking to people). Any tips for that lol?

My other questions are about my luggage. I am trying to travel as light as possible and don't want to take any more clothes and stuff like that than I have to. What would you recommend I take as a bare minumum? I plan on maybe buying some clothes when I get there and maybe even leave them there for my next trip. Is this a good idea? I don't want to go over my weight limit for my bags because it is $100 for each bag then and I want to take as few bags as possible. I am flying on Cathay Pacific from Chicago by the way. Does anyone have any experience with them? Also any recommendations for how to pass the time on a 15 hour plane ride (to Hong Kong then 2 and a half hours more from there)? Like I said this will be my first time on a plane and it is a long flight for my first time lol. I will be going right after work to the airport next Monday morning (I work the night shift) without sleeping so maybe I will sleep for a while but other than that and maybe watching movies on my laptop I don't know.

Sorry for all the questions. Feel fee to answer whichever ones you want lol. I am excited for my trip but I am a little nervous now that it is so close. Anyways thanks again for all the information. It is nice that I have found people that have gone through what I will be going through lol

Honestly I got lucky because my wife isn't about the fancy stuff too much, and she had already said yes. So I ordered a ring off of amazon for $3-400 and had it sent to her. It looked really nice and she was really happy with it, and that made me happy as well.

You will learn some Tagalog when you there, but don't worry about the barrier because she will help you out. Just learn the basics right now lie: Thank You-Salamat, How are you-Kumusta ka, I love you-Mahal kita, I really love you, Mahal na mahal kita. You got lucky with that because my wife is from Mindanao and they speak Bisaya down there, so I had to learn the basics of both languages. But its good because I am still learning and improving daily.

Just bring a few pairs of shorts, maybe one pair of pants (if that because it's hot and humid), and some shirts. Bring a few shirts to wear daily, and a couple of nice shirts for special occasions. This time when I went in June I brought mainly 3 pairs of shorts, 4 tank tops, a couple shirts, and pair of slacks and a nice shirt for my daughter's first confirmation.

Cathay Pacific is a good airline and they do have in flight entertainment. So either watch that or go to sleep.

I can not suggest a place io buy a ring as i bought my wifet rings before in the USA. However i can suggest something romantic for you and her. A romantic cruise on manila bay. I did that for my wife when i propose you can schedule evetything before you go there. You will have your own chauffer to pick tou up from the hotel

You will also have your own personal assiant, on the ship

It is very romantic my wife really like it . when they take you to your table on the ship they will have a picture of you and her.The table will be cover with roses

there will be a band playing songs for you and her

it is just something you might consider to suprise her

I used primi travel service jean was the person that took care of everything

Edited by j&ana

ROC
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-20
I-130 Sent : 2014-10-06
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-10-09
I-130 RFE for NSO copy of marriage certificate: 2014-11-03
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-11-18
I-130 Approved : 2014-12-07
NVC Received : 2014-12-23
NVC case number: 2015-02-04
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-02-04
Pay AOS Bill : 2015-02-05
Submit DS-261 : 2015-02-05
Sent AOS Package : 2015-02-09
Sent IV Package : 2015-02-09
Scan date : 2015-02-10
Receive IV Bill : 2015-03-03
Pay IV Bill : 2015-03-06
Submit DS-260: 2015-3-12
Case Completed at NVC : 2015-03-20
Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter: 2015-3-27
Medical complete: 2015-04-08
Interview Date : 2015-05-08
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2015-05-13

Date of US Entry : 2015-06-09

Date of Social Security card receive : 06-2015

Date of Green Card received 07-2015

Date of ROC FILE 05-19-2017

I-751 NOA Date 05-26-2017

http://jerryjja.wix.com/filipinasaswa?_ga=1.194674661.91538870.1441656248

Unless youre planning on buying clothes when youre in PI (you definitely should and have to experience greenhills shopping center) bring a week or maybe two weeks worth of underwear. A weeks worth of shirts, shorts / jeans... laundry shops in PI isnt the same here where you put your clothes in the washer then dryer then you can wear them after. You have to wait a day (this is rush) for them to finish washing your clothes.... but then again if you run out of clothes you can go the mall and buy new ones... its pretty cheap. :)

I flew cathay pacific when i went here and they are actually good. I was using staff tickets so i got stuck between two chinese guys who cant stop talking to and yelling at each other (i didnt get enough sleep due to this) so if you can get a window seat much much better. Food is great but i learned not to eat any sanwiches in flight (whichever airline it may be)... Their movies are fairly new so you can watch movies the whole flight if you want :) if your connecting flight is hk oh you'll love it :) but dont compare the aiports you will be seeing with the manila airport... dont expect much at all as the manila airport is one of the worst in the world. Hehehe. :)

AOS

ROC

Oh and they have a camera outaide the aircraft and you can actually watch the live broadcast of that (do it when you're a few mins away from landing)... that was awesome hehehe

AOS

ROC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

First off, I am glad you have continued your relationship and are finally making your trip.

I hope you have the trip of a lifetime!

It is great to ask questions.

However, when you pack so many questions into one thread some may get missed.

One question you asked is about electronics.

The US is 110 volts PH is 220 volts.

Take a close look at the device. The power requirements are stamped in plastic or placed on a sticker.

Most laptops have an AC adapter that says 100-240V. If that is the case you are good to go.

If the device says 110 then you would need a transformer. Transformers come in different sizes.

For your visa question, please specify if you intend to marry over their CR-1, or bring her back as a fiance K1.

The process and forms can be different. Some of the answers you received were for CR1 may or may not be for the one you are not looking for.

You mentioned "Affidavit In Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry" which is only needed if you plan on marrying in the Philippines. CR-1

Your first sentence sounded like you wanted to plan a wedding in January.

Edited by shipm662

Cathy Pacific is good but expensive. I do a much cheaper airlines today.

I drink wine as soon as I board an aircraft to sleep it all the way. It helps coz there is half a day time difference plus, nothing really would interest me on the plane?

When I travel any where, and I did 70+ countries, I would 1) Keep money and passport on my body 2) Keep my dear things to me in carry on 3) Keep rest of stuff to be stolen ... ops .. I mean in my checked luggage.

Note: I do check what's allowed to carry/check in when I travel on any airlines. They tend to kill you if you go overweight..

I would at least btimg 8 days worth of clothes with me. The PI is hot so, pack your light stuff (shorts, t-shirts, etc) plus one slack incase.

For buying a ring ... be careful. They would all tell you a price and then, if you ask, will discount it by half. Hey, you are not Filipino so you can afford it :)

Go to malls and not on the street. At least it's not fake.

Mind you, you are better than me. I could not marry online! I had to be on the grounds in Davao, give her a year of gf/bf then marry :) Call me an #######. It's fine. I just didn't want to be taken to cleaners :)

I intend to do DCF and still waiting on NSO to give me my MC!! Forgot to mention, in PI, put a lot of rocks in your pockets. Coz everything here is whenever. Unless you pay and there is no guarantee either :)

1) No more yellow cabs at Manila airport, not allowing them inside pretty much at all, if you do not want to pay 25$ for a cab ride, your gonna wait a few hours for a cab, bay 14 is where you will find the line I was there Aug 10-20th, line of 150 people, 2 yellow cabs, and they are barely allowing them ( You can however take a shuttle to the next terminal, and give the guy 20 peso to drop you at jolibee and then get a normal cab, being a first timer you might not wanna try it alone though)

2) You do not want to be Foreign and buy any jewelry in Pinas, buy the ring at home from people you trust, and DO NOT get her a $5000 ring it could get her killed in Philippines, wait until she is here for that

3)Just take a visa card, it is good at most stores and about every atm, take 10k peso (@240$) cost you 200 peso fee, but he convienence is worth the fee

4)They wont allow her inside the airport without a ticket, she will be waiting outside, be sure to tell her what terminal, manila airport is big, and spread out, it can be a 30-40 minute trip in taxi terminal to terminal depending on the traffic. Have her pick a place and go find her to meet, you wont have a phone unless you take an unlocked phone and get a simcard in the airport.

Everyone pretty much already answered you, just thought I would throw a few things out there they might have missed

dg71gl.jpg8xovp4.jpg

I can not suggest a place io buy a ring as i bought my wifet rings before in the USA. However i can suggest something romantic for you and her. A romantic cruise on manila bay. I did that for my wife when i propose you can schedule evetything before you go there. You will have your own chauffer to pick tou up from the hotel

You will also have your own personal assiant, on the ship

It is very romantic my wife really like it . when they take you to your table on the ship they will have a picture of you and her.The table will be cover with roses

there will be a band playing songs for you and her

it is just something you might consider to suprise her

I used primi travel service jean was the person that took care of everything

I like the cruise idea. What is the name of the cruise you chose? I did a google search and there iare multiple cruises I found. They all appear to be reasonably priced. If I can figure out how to get a ring maybe e can do the cruise the second night we are in Manila.

1) No more yellow cabs at Manila airport, not allowing them inside pretty much at all, if you do not want to pay 25$ for a cab ride, your gonna wait a few hours for a cab, bay 14 is where you will find the line I was there Aug 10-20th, line of 150 people, 2 yellow cabs, and they are barely allowing them ( You can however take a shuttle to the next terminal, and give the guy 20 peso to drop you at jolibee and then get a normal cab, being a first timer you might not wanna try it alone though)

2) You do not want to be Foreign and buy any jewelry in Pinas, buy the ring at home from people you trust, and DO NOT get her a $5000 ring it could get her killed in Philippines, wait until she is here for that

3)Just take a visa card, it is good at most stores and about every atm, take 10k peso (@240$) cost you 200 peso fee, but he convienence is worth the fee

4)They wont allow her inside the airport without a ticket, she will be waiting outside, be sure to tell her what terminal, manila airport is big, and spread out, it can be a 30-40 minute trip in taxi terminal to terminal depending on the traffic. Have her pick a place and go find her to meet, you wont have a phone unless you take an unlocked phone and get a simcard in the airport.

Everyone pretty much already answered you, just thought I would throw a few things out there they might have missed

1) Correct on this, the cab line is atrocious and you will have to pay $25 for a cab for even a short taxi ride to Copacabana. If you do not have her meet you at the airport but at the hotel, then do NOT let the taxi drivers take you to some bar that they recommend. It's more than likely a front for prostitution and the driver will get a kick back for taking you there.

2) Second this as well. You can get jewelry in the Philippines but it will be more expensive than here in the states. I bought my wife a big silver cross with a gold ring around the cross, and she kept getting looked at and questions about it when she was out in town. She didn't feel comfortable and thought that someone may try to steal it, so she took it off.

3) This is what I did as well. I would just normally bring my card and take money out to have it on my person. Someone in an earlier post said it's $10 to take money out, that's not true it's 200 pesos which is a little less than $5USD. They only all you to take out 10,000 pesos at a time, so I would take out 20,000. I did use my card for many things (make sure your bank knows) but unlikely here they have different card machines for different payment processing banks. When I had my NCSECU card before it would NEVER work on a BDO machine(kept coming up Declined), so I made them use the BPI machine.

4) This is EXTREMELY chaotic when you have a large group of people waiting at the bottom of the ramp for someone. So it's very easy to not be able to find someone.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.