Cara Mia

Dual Citizenship with Canada and the USA?

83 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

and politicians never lie..they take an oath...............

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Texas! *waves* :)

I don't see any answer to your question here, so I'll go ahead. You can apply for naturalization 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of your original GC date of issue. So, exactly 1 year after you are eligible to apply for ROC.

I'll be eligible to apply for naturalization in the fall, and I'm doing the same as you -- getting my citizenship more so that my kids can piggyback and have more options open to them as dual citizens (plus... I want to be able to vote and have a voice in this country!). But mostly, I want my kids to be able to decide where they want to live in the future.

Good to "see" you! I hope life is treating you well!

Hi Cali, :dancing:

Thanks for the info. Life has been good, just about to enter the next phase of ROC which brings me back to Visa Journey. Hope you are well too! I hear you guys might need some water over there? :rolleyes:

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Read it carefully it does not say what many people seem to think it does.

Anyway not a problem.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Read it carefully it does not say what many people seem to think it does.

Anyway not a problem.

You give first allegiance to the USA. Says exactly that does it not? Obviously only a personal problem which is why I suggest the person READ it and decide for themselves.

and politicians never lie..they take an oath...............

LOL Which is probably why I have zero desire to vote? Which lie do I like today? LOL

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

You give first allegiance to the USA. Says exactly that does it not? Obviously only a personal problem which is why I suggest the person READ it and decide for themselves.

Like I say read it as it does not say that.

Words have meanings.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

1. Support the Constitution;
  2. Renounce and abjure absolutely and entirely all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen;
  3. Support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
  4. Bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and
  5. A. Bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; or

B. Perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; or

C. Perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law.

Okay. So I can read. I have since I was 3. Please explain to me how number 2 and 4 does not mean what I said?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
You give first allegiance to the USA.

For a start it does not say that anywhere.

I would imagine Canada is sort of similar to the UK

1. Renounce and abjure absolutely and entirely all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen;

I for one have nothing to renounce or abjure having never made any allegiance or fidelity to any of those. Additionally it only applies to those that you were before a citizen.

Timeline

Ohh one ore thing about upholding the Constitution and Laws, well I believe that whoever wins the next Presidential race will have to swear the same but I am absolutely sure the interpretation of what that means will vary massively depending on who wins.

I speak to friends at work about US politics but as I'm sure everyone on the board knows, I have an almost non-existent desire to become a USC anytime in the future, but at least I know the board to be on if that ever changes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

For a start it does not say that anywhere.

I would imagine Canada is sort of similar to the UK

1. Renounce and abjure absolutely and entirely all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which the applicant was before a subject or citizen;

I for one have nothing to renounce or abjure having never made any allegiance or fidelity to any of those. Additionally it only applies to those that you were before a citizen.

When I became citizen of Canada, the only Oath I took was to be loyal to "her majesty, Queen Elizabeth".

So no prince.. lol...

(I hope nobody ever have to take oath to this current prince who is only making babies and nothing else)

When I became citizen of Canada, the only Oath I took was to be loyal to "her majesty, Queen Elizabeth".

So no prince.. lol...

(I hope nobody ever have to take oath to this current prince who is only making babies and nothing else)

Pretty sure Queen Elizabeth qualifies as a sovereignty.

Timeline

Pretty sure Queen Elizabeth qualifies as a sovereignty.

Nope, sovereign maybe. But that is arguable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.