IronCaro

Diversity Visa Interview in London

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello, I've been checking out this forum for quite some time whilst preparing for our interview on Wednesday. My husband and I are very excited about being selected in the DV lottery and having a shot of moving to the US. I'm Australian and he is Dutch, but we have lived in London for some time hence the reason we are being processed in London.

We had our medical a week ago and my report was stopped when the Dr wanted more info about a hospital stay ten years ago for viral meningitis. I wasn't expecting that to be a problem and getting the required information out of my GP was not easy, especially as I was with a different Dr at the time and the hardcopy file had to be dug out. There is a 40 working day (ie 2 months!) time frame on getting your medical records which obviously wasn't going to work. Two Dr appointments and a sit in at the surgery eventually got me a letter from my GP with the information by 7pm Friday night. I took the letter over to Knightsbridge Doctors this morning and spoke to them this afternoon where my report has been approved by the Dr, but has gone to a panel of physicians to decide if it will be sent onto the Embassy. Fingers crossed that they approve it!

Next hiccup is that we don't have police certificates yet from The Netherlands and Sweden where my husband has lived. Both submitted several weeks ago. I also don't have my Australian one after they made a mistake on the certificate and it had to be sent back in order for a new one to be issued! I'm trying not to get stressed out by all the blips, but there is a lot riding on us getting a visa. I contacted the US Embassy and they said to come anyway. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like their life is on hold until they know if the visa has been approved or not!

I would love to hear from anyone else who has been through the diversity visa interview in London and if you have any advice.

Carolyn

How did you manage to get into the DV lottery?

My understanding was the people from the UK were exempt (except for Northern Ireland).

Or is the Netherlands or Sweden still in the DV list of countries.

Good luck. Hope things go smoother soon.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from Introducing Our Members forum to the Diversity Lottery Visas forum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hello, I've been checking out this forum for quite some time whilst preparing for our interview on Wednesday. My husband and I are very excited about being selected in the DV lottery and having a shot of moving to the US. I'm Australian and he is Dutch, but we have lived in London for some time hence the reason we are being processed in London.

We had our medical a week ago and my report was stopped when the Dr wanted more info about a hospital stay ten years ago for viral meningitis. I wasn't expecting that to be a problem and getting the required information out of my GP was not easy, especially as I was with a different Dr at the time and the hardcopy file had to be dug out. There is a 40 working day (ie 2 months!) time frame on getting your medical records which obviously wasn't going to work. Two Dr appointments and a sit in at the surgery eventually got me a letter from my GP with the information by 7pm Friday night. I took the letter over to Knightsbridge Doctors this morning and spoke to them this afternoon where my report has been approved by the Dr, but has gone to a panel of physicians to decide if it will be sent onto the Embassy. Fingers crossed that they approve it!

Next hiccup is that we don't have police certificates yet from The Netherlands and Sweden where my husband has lived. Both submitted several weeks ago. I also don't have my Australian one after they made a mistake on the certificate and it had to be sent back in order for a new one to be issued! I'm trying not to get stressed out by all the blips, but there is a lot riding on us getting a visa. I contacted the US Embassy and they said to come anyway. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like their life is on hold until they know if the visa has been approved or not!

I would love to hear from anyone else who has been through the diversity visa interview in London and if you have any advice.

Carolyn

Didn't do London but - the procedure if everything looks ok but you are missing documents (like police certificate or medical) is that you will be placed on "administrative processing" pending submission of documents. Once the docs ate submitted they will go ahead and issue the visas. Good luck!

How did you manage to get into the DV lottery?

My understanding was the people from the UK were exempt (except for Northern Ireland).

Or is the Netherlands or Sweden still in the DV list of countries.

Good luck. Hope things go smoother soon.

They are Australian and Dutch. Makes no difference that they live in the UK - eligibility is based on country of birth and you can cross-charge to a spouse even if your birth country is not eligible.

Timeline

Didn't do London but - the procedure if everything looks ok but you are missing documents (like police certificate or medical) is that you will be placed on "administrative processing" pending submission of documents. Once the docs ate submitted they will go ahead and issue the visas. Good luck!

They are Australian and Dutch. Makes no difference that they live in the UK - eligibility is based on country of birth and you can cross-charge to a spouse even if your birth country is not eligible.

Thank you! Interview was great, all that lost sleep over nothing!

So we were told we have the visa and it will be finalised as soon as we send in the missing police checks. Very exciting! Now to plan our move...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The USA, its foreign policy, its people and its culture is under attack and ridiculed from people in most developed countries of the world, including Australia and Netherlands.

So why your excitement about being able to come here?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Filed: Timeline

The USA, its foreign policy, its people and its culture is under attack and ridiculed from people in most developed countries of the world, including Australia and Netherlands.

So why your excitement about being able to come here?

RUDE and UNCALLED FOR. Why try to throw cold water on someone's excitement about a major life event that they are eager to do??

Obviously, you or someone in your life is interested in it, or you wouldn't be on this forum.

To the OPs -- hope your certificates come through quickly so we can welcome you to the US!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

RUDE and UNCALLED FOR. Why try to throw cold water on someone's excitement about a major life event that they are eager to do??

Obviously, you or someone in your life is interested in it, or you wouldn't be on this forum.

To the OPs -- hope your certificates come through quickly so we can welcome you to the US!

My question was not at all rude. It was an honest question which is backed up by common knowledge about how the majority of the people in western developed countries feel about the USA and the citizens of USA.

If you don't know how these people feel about the USA, then you certainly have not encountered these people, have not listened to any news shows, have not read newspapers, nor participated in general discussion sites.

Now, I am not implying at all that these two feel this way. But they are coming from countries where that is the overall feeling, so it must have been hard for them to live with that general attitude about the USA, and yet still want to come.

So my question was very valid and not at all rude. Would be interesting to hear their answer.

Edited by Leo7777

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

How travelled are you exactly that you say this is "common knowledge"? Of course you will find vocal people who say things like that, to believe it is the opinion of everyone is just dumb. Moreover if you know anything about the nanny state mentality in some of these countries, about the difficulties of doing business and getting ahead, about finding places that have a diverse approach to culture, etc, it's not difficult to see why people would want to move and in fact if you did spend much time on the forums you would see a lot of excitement from a lot of people from western developed nations to move to the US. Despite what you focus on, where people do express reservations it is about (1) health care costs and (2) gun ownership rates.

And I agree with the previous your poster that your question did in fact sound rude and designed to pour cold water on someone's excitement.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Laos
Timeline

How travelled are you exactly that you say this is "common knowledge"? Of course you will find vocal people who say things like that, to believe it is the opinion of everyone is just dumb. Moreover if you know anything about the nanny state mentality in some of these countries, about the difficulties of doing business and getting ahead, about finding places that have a diverse approach to culture, etc, it's not difficult to see why people would want to move and in fact if you did spend much time on the forums you would see a lot of excitement from a lot of people from western developed nations to move to the US. Despite what you focus on, where people do express reservations it is about (1) health care costs and (2) gun ownership rates.

And I agree with the previous your poster that your question did in fact sound rude and designed to pour cold water on someone's excitement.

Not so fast, Susie QQQ.

I actually agree with Leo7777's remark that lots of people in the First World outside of the United States are disdainful of US culture. I consider myself well-travelled and would argue that this is not far from the truth. Using your logic, you're being just as rude by challenging how worldly he claims to be or that he cannot distinguish between a vocal minority and common perception.

The only point I could potentially agree with you on is that perhaps indeed his response did lack a certain tact. However, in written remarks where the communicator does not have the benefit of body language and facial expressions to make a point, we are going to have to take him at his word when he says that he was curious, and that no harm is done on his part in seeking to satisfy his curiosity.

Panem today, Panem tomorrow, Panem forever...

I have neither legal training nor immigration expertise; all comments posted must therefore be consumed in that vein.

My Naturalisation Timeline (Last updated: 16-April-14)

29-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Dispatched to USCIS [t-2]

30-MAR-14: Eligible to File N-400 Petition [t-1]

31-MAR-14: N-400 Petition Received by USCIS [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Dated [t=0]

31-MAR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Priority Date [t=0]

04-APR-14: Payment cheque cashed by USCIS [t+4]

07-APR-14: Online Status - Biometrics Appointment Notice Dispatched [t+7]

07-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Dated [t+7]

08-APR-14: I-797C (Notice of Action) Received [t+8]

14-APR-14: Biometrics Appointment Notice Received [t+14]

01-MAY-14: Biometrics Appointment [t+31]

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Interview Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Interview Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Interview Date

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Placed in-line for Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduling

00-XXX-14: Online Status - Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Scheduled

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Dated

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Notice Received

00-XXX-14: Naturalisation Oath Ceremony Date

00-XXX-14: US Passport Application Dispatched

00-XXX-14: US Passport Received

:dancing:

There is a big difference about being "disdainful" of culture and saying that a culture is "under attack". You will obviously know that a number of European countries are "disdainful" of each other's cultures - heck, even within countries people are disdainful of cultures in different parts of the country. Doesn't stop people moving around when they get better lifestyle opportunities.

I would also take a different position to you on the "no body language"; this is obvious, so posters ought to be careful in advance rather than taking shelter behind a "I didn't mean it that way" afterwards. My opinion, ymmv.

Oh and, I see a different logic between someone being rude by coming out of left field with something unrelated to the topic title or conversation to challenge the poster's excitement, and supposedly being "rude" by then challenging that person's knowledge of what they say. Again, ymmv.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you! Interview was great, all that lost sleep over nothing!

So we were told we have the visa and it will be finalised as soon as we send in the missing police checks. Very exciting! Now to plan our move...

Please Ironcaro or any other dv candidate that has attended visa interview in London, I have 2 questions

1. How do I know the time to go for medical. Will the embassy tell me when to go. Can I go for medical 3 months before my visa interview.

2. Were you asked for affidavit of support. Is there any alternative if I can not get affidavit of support.

3. How long after interview before passport is returned

Timeline

Please Ironcaro or any other dv candidate that has attended visa interview in London, I have 2 questions

1. How do I know the time to go for medical. Will the embassy tell me when to go. Can I go for medical 3 months before my visa interview.

2. Were you asked for affidavit of support. Is there any alternative if I can not get affidavit of support.

3. How long after interview before passport is returned

You can book the medical for when it suits you but be aware it can take some time for the results to be forwarded to the Embassy. If I had to do it again, I would have the medical two - three full weeks before the interview. We had our medical 7 working days before our appointment and the results hadn't arrived at the Embassy. If everything is fine with your medical then it will be sent there in 2-3 days. I had to provide some additional information from my GP for a hospital visit 10 years previously and that took some time. (FYI there is a 40 working day turnaround on getting your medical records from a NHS GP, so I had to resort to begging and pleading!) If you answer 'yes' to any of the questions on the medical questionnaire be ready, as they may want additional details.

Also be aware that you have to be in the US six months from the date of your medical. I asked in our interview if there was a time limit on when we had to physically be living in the US expecting it to be based on the date the Greencard is issued, however it is based on the medical due to immunisation. You will get an immunisation record at your medical that you need to hand over when you enter the US as well as when applying for schools, jobs etc.

We were not asked for an affidavit but instead had copies of various bank statements to show that we can support ourselves. I'm not sure what is an acceptable level of funds, however I have read on this forum that £10k plus is what you need.

Can't help you with question three, I am still waiting on one more document to arrive before I can send in our passports. Unfortunately there was a mistake on my Australian police certificate which was only realised once it had been sent to me so it had to be turned around and sent back to Australia. Hopefully the replacement will be here this week. The impression I got from the officer at the interview was that it is pretty quick - 1-2 weeks.

The over riding thing that I found with the interview was that the two officers who interviewed us were really lovely. Having been through various visa renewals and indefinite leave in the UK, going to the Croyden UK Home Office is soul destroying. We were expecting a grilling at the US Embassy and instead were greeted with smiles and chatty, lovely officers.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Carolyn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.