Laurka

Card Flagged as Undeliverable, Returned and Lost!

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello,

I'm looking for any helpful advice in the situation I found myself in.

My Application to Adjust Status was approved on January 6th 2014 and on January 11 (Saturday) was flagged as undeliverable by the Post Office and returned to the sender. I was shocked because all my previous letters from the USCIS always got delivered to our PO Box in a timely manner. I started making phone calls to both USCIS and USPS two days later. USCIS told me to wait. The last update by the USPS tracking number was on Jan 18 so when nothing happened by the last week of January, I called USCIS Customer Service and was told that I can submit service request, which I did. Required time passed and nothing happened. I submitted another service request, was told that they never received the card back. Meanwhile I also contacted USPS Customer service. They returned my call the following day and told me the same thing I could find out online in 2 seconds "That the last update was on January 18 somewhere in CT, so if it didn't arrive to the sender by now it got lost! They suggested I call the sender and tell them to claim insurance on it. So I did call the USCIS again and repeated what USPS representative told me, but this time the Higher Level Customer Service agent from USCIS told me they did RECEIVE my card back and it will be mailed to me within ten days. I asked the man couple times "Are you sure of it?" He said yes. I made sure they have my correct address. Two days later my online case status changed saying that my address relating to I485 changed, so I thought they finally sent my card back to me. Now today, it's been two weeks and not only I haven't received my card, but I received two stupid letters from them: One concerning the service request from January 24 stating that they don't have my card back and that I can submit I-90 and a second letter concerning the address update. I spoke again to a USCIS Customer Service SUPERVISOR who was unpleasant and couldn't care less for what I'm going through. I learned that the fee for I90 is $450! 450 dollars! Are they out of their minds?? They expect me to pay money out of my pocket for their mistakes?! I'm not willing to do it. We paid almost $1100 for the Adjustment of Status only to receive all this described above.

Has anybody ever heard about a similar situation or has any idea what I could do? I'm ready to write to my Congressman (already contacted his office).

I never moved, all my previous correspondence from USCIS came to my PO Box, my name is in The Post Office. I read sth about infopass appointments but I can't find out how to schedule one.

Please good Folks of vj help me, I will appreciate your insight and advice.

Laura

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Sorry to hear that. Usps lost my wife's work permit. Last update on their website was "out for delivery". That was Dec 18 2013. Apparently no one knows what happened to it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

what date did the ISO (the 2nd tier person you spoke with) mention

that the card was resent to you?

I've written a lot about this, here at VJ:

advanced search tool:

Search Terms: 'ISO returned mail'

Member Name: 'Darnell'

click on 'display as posts'

ah - you mentioned two weeks - yer right at the edge, IMO - but do call in again, ask for an ISO, and go over returned mail pieces ONE MORE TIME.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

what date did the ISO (the 2nd tier person you spoke with) mention

that the card was resent to you?

I've written a lot about this, here at VJ:

advanced search tool:

Search Terms: 'ISO returned mail'

Member Name: 'Darnell'

click on 'display as posts'

ah - you mentioned two weeks - yer right at the edge, IMO - but do call in again, ask for an ISO, and go over returned mail pieces ONE MORE TIME.

I'm sorry I don't know what ISO stand for. What do you mean by it?

The day I was told that they got it back was Feb 26. Two days later, Feb 28, my online case status changed so I thought they actually sent it back to me, but now I think he lied!

Timeline

ISO - Immigration Service Officer.

This is a 2nd Tier Person, never the person that answers the phone.

When the phone is first answered, that's a Tier 1 Sub-Human, a CSR. They are useless for returned mail pieces, always. Must to ask for an ISO, a Tier 2 Human. They use a different computer system, and it's the same computer system in use at the local USCIS offices, so any IO (Immigration Officer) you see on an InfoPass appointment - an ISO at the call center sees the same stuff, same level o access.

The CSR can only see what you see online, and for problem resolution, are useless/clueless and make sh|t up all the time to get you off the phone.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems like this. I had much the same problem - my work permit was approved for a good 2 months before I actually received the card because they kept losing it in the mail. All you can do is keeping phoning and harassing USCIS! Also make sure your name is registered at the relevant address with your local post office.

Timeline

Darnell thank you for clarification. To me they're all Customer Service representatives.

I scheduled an Infopass Appointment for next week. I didn't have an interview, so I don't know if the USCIS field office will know anything, but I really want to speak with somebody face to face.

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems like this. I had much the same problem - my work permit was approved for a good 2 months before I actually received the card because they kept losing it in the mail. All you can do is keeping phoning and harassing USCIS! Also make sure your name is registered at the relevant address with your local post office.

Local Post Office has my name. We receive mail at a PO Box. We never moved, the address has always been the same. We've never had problems with mail deliveries before.

I know there have been cases like this before and I'm not the first one to be in such situation, but even more so I cannot comprehend why USCIS don't send a document of this magnitude via certified mail! The addressee should SIGN that they've received it. No signature = I've never seen it, never received, never got delivered to me!

Timeline

infopass? ok. face to face? ouch !

usually, the first person you talk to, sitting behind the counter or glass, won't be that interested in solving this, but the floor supervisor has higher computer access. keep that in mind as you are sitting there getting dumb looks.

Ask for a supervisor. Don't leave until you get resolution on this, ask the supervisor to CALL SOMEONE in another office to get it resent.

IMO, a phone call with an ISO is better, as they can directly see the returned mail pieces in the computer system and are already trained up on how to handle returned mail pieces.

Anyone you talk to at your InfoPass appointment - well, it might be YOU that's training them up on how to handle a postal mail resend. Who knows? you might get a competent human at the glass, but IMO/E, it's doubtful.

Still, if'n yer really gonna get to an infopass appointment, be adamant about resolution, don't accept any 'we'll look into it and do something in 30 days' answer - as the evidence of the returned mail piece(s ) is IN THE COMPUTER already !!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.