ClydesdaleCouple

APPROVED!!!! AOS from Visa Waiver!!!!

16 posts in this topic

We had our interview today and were approved on the spot.

We were a AOS from visa waiver WITH an overstay and we had the smoothest journey through the process EVER!!!

If ANYONE has questions, I'd be happy to answer!!!

YAY YAY YAY!!!

From the time we submitted our forms till AOS approval (112 days).

Timeline:

January 9, 2012 : Arrived in the United States on VWP from Scotland to visit for a few months.
March 23, 2012 : Married in Pekin, IL
heart.gif
March 19, 2013 (day 1) : Forms sent into the Chicago Lockbox

March 26, 2013 (day 7) : NOA1 Reciepts for I-130, I-765, I-485; case accepted
April 4, 2013 (day 19) : Change of Address reciept
April 10, 2013 (day 25) : Biometrics appointment notice, appointment sent for April 23rd
April 15, 2013 (day 30) : RFE for I-485
April 23, 2013 (day 38) : Biometrics appointment in Naperville, IL. Super easy, no wait.
April 28 2013 (day 43) : Receipt of Evidence
May 5, 2013 (day 47) : Interview appointment to be scheduled

May 11, 2013 (day 53) : Interview set for July 9, 2013

May 27, 2013 (day 69): EAD has been ordered/sent out

June 6, 2013 (day 79): recieved EAD, applied for SSN

June 14, 2013 (day 87): Recieved SSN

July 1, 2013 (day 104): HIRED!!! (two jobs I might add!!))

July 9, 2013 (Day 112): AOS Interview @Chicago Office, APPROVED ON THE SPOT!!!

July 10, 2013 (Day 113): Illinois Drivers License!!!

July 12,2013 (Day 115): GC Production ordered

July 17, 2013 (Day 120): Green Card Recieved!!!

TWO LOVELY YEARS (July 2013 - October 2015)

October 27, 2015 (Day 1 ROC): Sent ROC packet with fee waiver and late explaination

November 11, 2015 (Day 15 ROC): Packet Denied based on lack of evidence for fee waiver

December 22nd, 2016 (Day 1 restart ROC): Packet resubmitted with better evidence

January 23rd, 2017 (Day 32 since restart ROC): Packet accepted and fee waiver approved

mbpndc.jpg

Outline of our interview (template borrowed from tashired):

USCIS @ 101 W. Congress parkway Chicago, IL

Getting there
Traffic was a little hectic and if you're driving during rush hour leave a little extra time just in case. There is a valeted parking garage specifically for immigration parkers and we paid $14 for 53 minutes of being parked.

Some context on our case
- Adjusting Status from VWP

- Over a year overstay

- Married for the first time/no kids

Bona Fide documents submitted in the AOS application
- Colored copy of marriage certificate
- Joint bank account
- Joint energy bill
- 6 photos, some with other people

Additional Bona Fide documents brought to interview (original and duplicate):
- Cards addressed to both of us.

- Cards to and from each other

- A vet bill for our cat with both of our names on it.
- Joint bank account
- Joint car insurance
- A Photo book created on walgreens website ($20)

What the IO asked to see and added to the file
- Birth Certificates/Photo ID's/
- Asked for marriage certificate but we had accidently sent them both copies. Luckily, she had them.
- Photos

Interview sequence
- IO asked us for birth certificates, ID cards.
- IO then asked us to stand up, and swore us in
- She went through the AOS application, asking us questions about our application, first questions were directed at Nathan, then me. At no point were we seperated.
- Then she asked us questions about each others families, about our co-sponsor (my father),
- She asked both of us details about each other (city of birth, parents' names, birthdays, etc..)
- Then she asked us to tell our story
- Then she asked for pictures and additional bona fide documents.

- She then said "Well i'm gonna approve you today, congratulations". She then proceeded to tell us that we would get Nathan's Green card in 30 days AND let us keep his EAD, which will be nice for sentimental value and until he gets his green card.

All together the interview lasted maybe 25 minutes. Be prepared to go through some security when you get there (Nathan had to take off his belt). So try to leave time for that too.

Totally not as scary as everyone made it out to be, especially if you ARE genuine with no real red flags and you always told the truth.

Timeline:

January 9, 2012 : Arrived in the United States on VWP from Scotland to visit for a few months.
heart.gif

April 10, 2013 (day 25) : Biometrics appointment notice, appointment sent for April 23rd
April 23, 2013 (day 38) : Biometrics appointment in Naperville, IL. Super easy, no wait.

October 27, 2015 (Day 1 ROC): Sent ROC packet with fee waiver and late explaination

November 11, 2015 (Day 15 ROC): Packet Denied based on lack of evidence for fee waiver

December 22nd, 2016 (Day 1 restart ROC): Packet resubmitted with better evidence

January 23rd, 2017 (Day 32 since restart ROC): Packet accepted and fee waiver approved

mbpndc.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from main "AOS from WS&T Visas" forum to the Case Progress subforum. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline

We had our interview today and were approved on the spot.

We were a AOS from visa waiver WITH an overstay and we had the smoothest journey through the process EVER!!!

If ANYONE has questions, I'd be happy to answer!!!

YAY YAY YAY!!!

Congratulations! One question, did you get an e-mail notifying you of the date/time/place of the interview, or you only got the letter? I'm at the same office as you were. Thank you.

No, we only received our letter with the date and time. :)

Timeline:

heart.gif

mbpndc.jpg

• 4 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Congratulations on quick and successful AOS process! I have couple of questions regarding the forms when filing as visa waiver. Did you have I-94 number or what did you put in those fields where they ask you for it? And, on i-765, what did you put for item 15, current immigration status?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! I'm adjusting status too so this is really helpful.

Just for the info of the poster below - there is a website which gives you the I94 number https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html;jsessionid=m9dWSMgfMVQXs7hYRRYgGPbnG1QqT1VpHwGRnhZWrHLQZL6yKPvm!-1588311864.

Good luck!

Congratulations on quick and successful AOS process! I have couple of questions regarding the forms when filing as visa waiver. Did you have I-94 number or what did you put in those fields where they ask you for it? And, on i-765, what did you put for item 15, current immigration status?

Thanks!

13/08/2011 - met in Nicaragua
27/12/2012 - Married in the UK and moved in together in Dubai

30/03/2013 - sent I-130 packet to Chicago lockbox
08/04/2013 - packet received

09/04/2013 - NOA1

16/07/2013 - NOA2

• 7 months later...

let me give you short scenario, I am from london and my gf is from usa. we want to get married in next year but don't want to get apart after marriage for Petition process which can take 10-12 months ....thats why we had planned I would go there on VWP and get married and apply AOS..

can I ask you some questions, because I am in the same Boat.

1. At vwp can i tell PEO that I came here to meet my gf?

2. or should i say, I just came here for visit and then fall in love and get married? ....Just to be safe side to escape from intend to migrate

3. how long need to wait for marriage once there on VWP? ...it say 60 days

4. what if your VWP 90 days finish? still you be legal because you fill AOS before 90 days time frame?

Basic concept, can i tell port entry officer that i came here to visit my GF, then after looking at situation we married there and file AOS.

OR, should i say, i just came here to visit then fallen in love within 60 days and get married and apply for AOS.

which way will be the fine because they talk about Intent to migrate how to escape from that....is there hard and fast rule. ##

Please if some one can answer me, it will be so kind.

Edited by london2usa

let me give you short scenario, I am from london and my gf is from usa. we want to get married in next year but don't want to get apart after marriage for Petition process which can take 10-12 months ....thats why we had planned I would go there on VWP and get married and apply AOS..

can I ask you some questions, because I am in the same Boat.

1. At vwp can i tell PEO that I came here to meet my gf?

2. or should i say, I just came here for visit and then fall in love and get married? ....Just to be safe side to escape from intend to migrate

3. how long need to wait for marriage once there on VWP? ...it say 60 days

4. what if your VWP 90 days finish? still you be legal because you fill AOS before 90 days time frame?

Basic concept, can i tell port entry officer that i came here to visit my GF, then after looking at situation we married there and file AOS.

OR, should i say, i just came here to visit then fallen in love within 60 days and get married and apply for AOS.

which way will be the fine because they talk about Intent to migrate how to escape from that....is there hard and fast rule. ##

Please if some one can answer me, it will be so kind.

It is fraud to come to US with the intention to stay and AOS.

No one here should advise you how to commit fraud, it is violation of VJ's TOS.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

the people who get married are you sure, they dint know they getting married ? you mean just by chance happened everything?

what fraud?....a person from 3rd world country can merry on B-2 visa and settle, why not we on VWP.

Simple its just to say, Oh i dint planned but then i change my mind and get married.

the people who get married are you sure, they dint know they getting married ? you mean just by chance happened everything?

what fraud?....a person from 3rd world country can merry on B-2 visa and settle, why not we on VWP.

Simple its just to say, Oh i dint planned but then i change my mind and get married.

Nice spin of story here.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

But you are planning to get married and then try to AOS from within the US. That is immigration fraud and could lead to a lifetime ban.

Some people do visit the US and genuinely intend to return home. But circumstances change and they decide to marry. Sometimes it's because the girlfriend is found to be pregnant. Those people also didn't lie at POE.

We all hate being apart from our loved ones. But we do it the right way and apply for the K1.

To the OP. Congratulations! Great to read your review. Always helpful to find out what documentation was required and the questions asked.

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

You committed fraud plain and simple.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.