Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
med1023

Petition requirements

13 posts in this topic Register to Ask a Question

Hello everyone

Someone told me that I can't file for a K-1 fiancée visa because my fiancée and I entered the relationship before my divorce was final, I thought it only had to be final before I file the petition. Does anyone know if this info is correct? My divorce was finalized on January 29 2013, was hoping to send out the petition today. Thanks

Hello everyone

Someone told me that I can't file for a K-1 fiancée visa because my fiancée and I entered the relationship before my divorce was final, I thought it only had to be final before I file the petition. Does anyone know if this info is correct? My divorce was finalized on January 29 2013, was hoping to send out the petition today. Thanks

Send the petition.

Sorry, I can't answer that with any certainty, but I will say that I met my fiance after deciding to divorce from my ex-wife, but before the divorce was finalized. My ex took her sweet time doing each of her portions of the divorce as well, so it took some time to get done. I don't expect it to be an issue, but you have raised my curiosity now. I'm sure some folks here have finished the process and can assure that it is ok

If it were a spousal visa, I think that might raise some flags, but it shouldn't IMO for a fiance visa

Edited by UK-USA-K1

Hello everyone

Hi. I believe that you CAN still file for the k1, it just may look a little suspicious, so you may have some explaining to do at the interview. For example, if you and your ex-wife were legally separated and living apart when you met your current fiancé, I do not think you can be denied for something like that. I would say go ahead and file, now that your divorce is final. Good luck.

Hello everyone

You are fine for the petition. An approved petition is NOT a visa, however. There have been visas denied because a relationship began before a divorce was finalized, and there are even some recent examples of that right here in these forums...use the forum search. Such denials are consulate specific and I am not sure ANY of them were in Manila, but you can ask in the PI forum where you have a bunch of people with specific experience.

I'm filling out a i-130, it is necessary that I also fill out a G-325A? Please let me know I need to send all the documents on Monday 3/11/13. What else do I need to send out.

you will probably get better answers in the proper forum, I filed the I-129F for K-1 visa, so don't know the answers to your particular case. The guides here are very helpful. Between the proper forum and the guides you should be set.

Guide:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

I-130 Forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/110-ir-1-cr-1-spouse-visa-process-procedures/

Hope these help

most likely you should be okay. The CO or immigration is concerned if your relationship is true. as long as the divorce is final. your divorce is legit. relationship is legit... just be prepared if the CO asked for explanation though.. give your fiancee all the right info

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.