Amanda & Tayo

K1 Visa Denied By Consulate

52 posts in this topic

That's really sad. I think you should get married as soon as possible and file for CR-1 and make sure you are there with him at the visa interview next time.

Some consulates are hard to get through and requires additional efforts.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

So sorry you were denied K1 visa. The same happened to us. I received an email that told me I could refile the I-129f or go to Nigeria and marry my fiance. We were devastated as we never thought we'd be denied and were planning on marrying not too long after his interview. We were married September 1, 2011 the National Marriage Registry in Lagos with a small group of friends! I spent 3 wonderful weeks with him at that time. I just returned from visiting Nija where we visited friends and I met more of his family. Within the next few weeks I will be filing I-130 spousal visa. This may not be the choice for you but it was the best one for us. If we have to spend time apart we wanted to do it as husband and wife! The consulate may deny our petitions but they cannot break our marriage bond! Whether it is in Nigeria or here in the States, we are husband and wife! The waiting and being apart is very hard but we know in the end all will work out. As someone once said: "What doesn't break us makes us stronger." And something as precious as our love for one another is worth fighting for.

why does it say AOS status on the left side of ur page?

I am so devastated right now (no surprise) My Fiance's interview was this morning in Lagos. He brought all required documentation and answered all questions but was denied because the officer felt that there was not enough supporting evidence to prove our relationship. Now I have to admit usually when I read this type of stuff I am somewhat jaded but in this situation we have been in contact for 5 years and provided phone records, chat conversations, and pictures from while i was in Lagos last year. I have no clue what to do at this point and any advice would be helpful.

sry to hear, i have no clue but if ur not happy with the CO's response, i suggest you go to the embassy and re-affirm. if the reason was not enough supporting evidence (make sure it is), then as a US citizen, maybe u shld go in and ask.. what do you want? Gdluck

Edited by favored
Civ4UrA.jpgCiv4m5.png

As far as I know he was pushed on questions there is not age gap he's 41 Im 36, no language barriers, no real cultural differences. I guess the frustrating part is that in such a long distance situation what else are you suppose to have besides phone, chat, and what little pics we have from when we are together. I just dont even know what my starting off point is at the moment ie who do i call (if anybody) or what do I do

A major red flag could also be the race of the petitioner...but obviously nobody would ever mention that officially.

Edited by S_R

....All your Negative Energy Feeds Cancer!

event.png

So sorry for what you're going through. The same thing happened to us the end of January. I wrote to my senator and the president. The senator sent me the email she received back from Lagos, saying they didn't feel my fiance provided enough evidence to support our relationship, which was unbelievable considering all the info we gave. I also wrote and mailed a letter to the president, asking for the Lagos consulate's practices and procedures to be investigated. I figure if they receive enough complaints at the white house some one will look into the way things are handled at the Lagos Consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Lagos is historically a hard Embassy to crack; you should ahve known that. Go to the regional forum and bone up on what couples do/did to be successful; maybe marrying there is best?

I hate to even think about it, but what should a couple do when denied by the US embassies for their K-1 visas? I mean, I'm about to send my RFE reply today, but it it's not approved will I also be able to do a CR-1 if I go there to get married? Also, by going there, I have to spend about 4 - 5 weeks there in order to be cleared by ZAGS in Moscow (unless I bribe someone (as I've heard), but I'm not going to even attempt to do something illegal).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So sorry to hear of your denial...

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

A major red flag could also be the race of the petitioner...but obviously nobody would ever mention that officially.

I am not really sure why the race of the petitioner would be a red flag. I am caucasian and my husband is Nigerian. That was not a red flag for us. We went through the CR1 process with never recieving a RFE and my husband was approved first time interviewing. He was only asked a few questions and the only evidence he was asked to show was pictures. They did not ask for phone logs, chat logs etc., although I did front load our petition with letters from friends and family, but this is Lagos we are talking about. Yes, I agree that the Lagos Consulate is the most difficult to get through. In my opinion it depends on the CO that you get, if they are in good mood or bad mood, etc.

@OP...I am very sorry to hear of your disturbing news. Please, keep your faith. Everything happens in Gods time. I wish I could give you some advice on what to do next, but unfortunately, I am not very knowledgeable in this situation. I am feeling that if it were me, I would go to Lagos and get married, but again, I do not know the process when one is not approved. I will keep you and your fiance in my prayers.

Our CR1 Timeline

04/19/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

04/21/11: Package delivered

04/25/11: NOA1 via text and email; petition routed to VSC

04/27/11: Touched

6/23/11: NOA2 via text and email

6/27/11: NOA2 rec'd in mail

6/29/11: NVC case # assigned

7/1/11: Rec'd I-864 bill via e-mail

7/1/11: Rec'd request for DS-3032 via e-mail

7/2/11: E-mailed DS-3032 to NVC

7/8/11: Rec IV bill via e-mail

7/15/11: Paid I-864 bill

7/30/11: Mailed I-864 package

7/30/11: Paid IV bill

8/2/11: IV bill shows "paid"

8/10/11: Per operator I-864 rec'd and accepted and processed with no RFE

8/12/11: Rec'd packet 3 (DS-230 cover sheet/check list)

10/5/11: Mailed DS-230

10/7/11: DS-230 rec'd by NVC per tracking

10/12/11: Case complete per live operator (just waiting for interview apt now)

12/6/11: Medical complete and in hand...yay

12/12/11: Interview-APPROVED

12/20/11: Visa in hand

5/3/2012: POE

6IwJm4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

So sorry,I can understand your pains...I just thought if i was in this position,how would i really feel...Too hard on myself i guess but Delay is not denyal,They can only delay you and your love from been together for a while not forever...I think the best way forward is just to revoke the visa and refile and move forward from there...Prepare more and gather more evidence and Get your Senate man involve....Am sure USCIS will approve in no time and you just have to hit Lagos Consulate real hard...

When i had my interview back in Lagos last year,i notice that most people get denied becouse of not been confident during the interview process...Basically,Lagos Consulate base there decisions with how they conversation with the applicant and the CO goes...Becouse Immigrant visas such K-1 or so are not meant to be denied in the embassy level unless they noticed some foulplay in the beneficiary decumentations or maybe the way the interview went...Like his or her reactions,If the beneficiary was able to answer the basic questions during the interview and was bold enough to speak up loud and clear....Its always on the approval end...lol....Trust me,When i was in the interview room in Lagos...Is an Open room where you can see and hear how every other person is been interviewed ...,While waiting to be called,I noticed that the CO"s themselves find it difficult to approve some people as much as they try to--- with the way they react,shake and answer question...I still remm one guy that was been interview befor me,During the interview,The guy could not even remm his fiancee middle name and that is crazy...What of the age...He was repeating different date at random...The guy totally messed up,I felt for him though but i know it wont turn out good and within 5 mins,The guy got denied......That is just it...Most times they dont care the full load of the evidence you bring in and all that...They go with the conversation first...Then if that goes well,They look bit at maybe phone log and that is just it...And thats one of the major reason why they dont let American citizen to be present inside the interview room.....Becouse they ar very very bold and Confident,they know there right and the will look in to your eyes and tell you what you wanna know and thats the answer to Lagos Consulate...lol is funny but is true.......During mine,Immidately i was called up for a window,cant remm the no again,I Stood up and after the Oath process....They guy started with looking at me face to face...I think he ask like whats your fiancee full name,the age...Which city she live in...the kind of house she live in,Which i know him his self didnt even know the kind of the house my sweetheat live in...But well i know this things and was able to be answer them promptly and he repeated questions like twice or so...Which i dont mind...I just keep on smiling and laughing professionally and all that and Within 5 mins or less...He brough out the Package we first sent to USCIS which include the whole evidence ...Pictures,phone log ,email and so on and so fort....He couldnt even look at any of them becouse they ar just so much plus the one i came in with for the Interview process,....So after like 5 mins or less of the questions...They guy ask to see phone record..I brought out Verizon Phone log with my fiancee name on top of it and with my MTN line in every single day on each month...They guy just look at the first page and said that i should wait till next week and collect my passport with my visa....He gave me back all the pictures including the ones we sent in iniatially when we file for our k-1 in califonian service center.....

So what am saying is mostly about knowing your fiancee very well,Secondly,Confidence is the key and Be ready to smile and laugh professionally.I always tell my guys is not a do or die thing...As much as Immigration benefit is not my right,Is my life and i decide on what to do with it.......So maybe you need to take time and ask your finace to tell you the detail of the interview with every bit of the questions and how he answers them but experience is the best teacher.Once again am sorry for your pains and i pray you remain strong and fight for the love of your life....For my own suggestion on what to do...Dont waste your time for them to reopen your case here in the US.Just go on and cancel it and refile immiddatly,gather more evidence and if possible...Get your Senate man involve and befor you know it,You will be right there...Forget What people say about Lagos Consulate that is hard and all that,You can always make a differnece and people go thru there,So will you...Prepare hard and hit them hard...You ar good to go...Once again...Take heart and remain strong in love,Thats the key to a successful relationship

Edited by Oscar12

I am not really sure why the race of the petitioner would be a red flag. I am caucasian and my husband is Nigerian. That was not a red flag for us. We went through the CR1 process with never recieving a RFE and my husband was approved first time interviewing. He was only asked a few questions and the only evidence he was asked to show was pictures. They did not ask for phone logs, chat logs etc., although I did front load our petition with letters from friends and family, but this is Lagos we are talking about. Yes, I agree that the Lagos Consulate is the most difficult to get through. In my opinion it depends on the CO that you get, if they are in good mood or bad mood, etc.

@OP...I am very sorry to hear of your disturbing news. Please, keep your faith. Everything happens in Gods time. I wish I could give you some advice on what to do next, but unfortunately, I am not very knowledgeable in this situation. I am feeling that if it were me, I would go to Lagos and get married, but again, I do not know the process when one is not approved. I will keep you and your fiance in my prayers.

Congrats on your success... but we know Lagos. I bet you if you went through Lagos on the K1 route the story may have been different. These embassy folks may not get it right all the time but they do get it right most of the time.

....All your Negative Energy Feeds Cancer!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am so devastated right now (no surprise) My Fiance's interview was this morning in Lagos. He brought all required documentation and answered all questions but was denied because the officer felt that there was not enough supporting evidence to prove our relationship. Now I have to admit usually when I read this type of stuff I am somewhat jaded but in this situation we have been in contact for 5 years and provided phone records, chat conversations, and pictures from while i was in Lagos last year. I have no clue what to do at this point and any advice would be helpful.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Perhaps the CO was expecting more visits from you due to the legnth of time you have known each other, maybe more pictures of not just the two of you but that of his family members, such as his Dad,Mom, Sisters brothers that are aware and approve of your relationship. It is hard to know for certain what prompted the denial without any details. The only opttion I believe is open to you now is to get married in Nigeria and if he truly loves you, that should not be a problem, although you are looking at maybe another year before h can come to the US. Don't be discouraged, sometimes things happen for a reason, and I pray that God reveal that reason to you in due course. Stay strong and positive and all will work out well. Wishing you the very best in your journey of love and life.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I hate to even think about it, but what should a couple do when denied by the US embassies for their K-1 visas? I mean, I'm about to send my RFE reply today, but it it's not approved will I also be able to do a CR-1 if I go there to get married? Also, by going there, I have to spend about 4 - 5 weeks there in order to be cleared by ZAGS in Moscow (unless I bribe someone (as I've heard), but I'm not going to even attempt to do something illegal).

Becoming married usually does nothing to alleviate the reason for the denial. That has to be well understood and then corrections made in order to get beyond that. Moscow is not considered a hard Embassy but all the warnings about the possible questions and the form they may made to your fiance have to be well understood and rehearsed; answering inappropriately could be bad. But since she has been here and you guys have a lot of time spent with each other, you should be fine.

Lagos is a well known hard Embassy, especially for K-1s. Also if the USC is older than the foreign fiance, that is a red flag to them.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Becoming married usually does nothing to alleviate the reason for the denial. That has to be well understood and then corrections made in order to get beyond that. Moscow is not considered a hard Embassy but all the warnings about the possible questions and the form they may made to your fiance have to be well understood and rehearsed; answering inappropriately could be bad. But since she has been here and you guys have a lot of time spent with each other, you should be fine.

Lagos is a well known hard Embassy, especially for K-1s. Also if the USC is older than the foreign fiance, that is a red flag to them.

That's what I'm saying - I'm not sure if even going there to get married is going to help us to get her over here. She cannot support me right now. If I move there, it'd be a nightmare for both her and I.

What form are you referring to that she has to fill out? Is it the DS-230 or DS-156? We've done those two together already (actually, the DS-230 form we filled out expires on 2/29/12, and we'll probably just have to transpose it all to the new version after that).

Other than that, what questions are you referring to? She and I went over some of the sample interview questions that are available here on VJ already. Most of those were from different consuls and about different circumstances. However, she and I both still went through all of them. We'll probably go through those, and more, when we know about our interview officially. Not that we're trying to fake a relationship and have to be rehearsed, but rather we want to make sure she understands some differences in the way questions are asked (due to sneaky tactics). It's not easy for a non-native speaking person to pick up on the little modifiers in the questions.

My fiance is about 5 months older than me. damn!

Edited by Scafidi454

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I don't know why no one has mentioned this yet, and forgive me because I am not extremely educated on immigration, but when I usually read topics like this people always say, "do EVERYTHING in your power to keep the case at the embassy. Don't let it get sent back to USCIS". I'm not 100% sure why, but I'm guessing that once its sent back you have to start all over. Keep the case in Nigeria and go back and talk to someone. Plead to them that it is real. DON'T LET IT GET SENT BACK. This needs to happen ASAP as they could be sending it back very soon.

Please, someone tell her if I'm wrong. If I am right, please elaborate so she understands what has to happen.

HUSBAND'S CASE

9/17/2011 - sent I-13

09/19/2011 - noa1 received

3/16/2012 - case sent to my local USCIS office for additional processing

4/21/2012 - AP. If we haven't heard from them in SIX MONTHS (omg) we can feel free to call them!!! Thanks!

9/20/2012 - Interview scheduled - October 3!!!!

10/3/2012 - Interview went well but she must look at his A-file more before decision.

10/12/2012 - I-130 APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

KIDS' CASES

04/20/2012: NOA107/20/2012: instead of an approval, we got thrown into AP. sigh

11/01/2012: Boys' I-130 interview set for November 28, 2012.

11/28/2012: I-130s APPROVED! APPROVED! APPROVED!

NVC

12/14/2012: NVC Received

12/31/2012: Case number/IIN

12/31/2012: DS-3032 sent

01/08/2013: DS-3032 accepted

01/02/2013: AOS bill0

1/03/2013: AOS bill shows PAID

01/04/2013: AOS package sent

01/09/2013: IV bill

01/10/2013: IV bill shows PAID

01/11/2013: IV package sent

01/23/2013: Case complete

02/01/2013: Interview scheduled

US Embassy Lagos

02/22/2013: Embassy received

03/01/2013: Medical

03/20/2013: Interview - was told the boys would have been approved on the spot if they had pics! Errrr :-(

04/15/2013: DNA test

05/15/2013: Emailed embassy BEGGING them to let boys drop off passports for visa insertion. IT WORKED!!!

05/31/2013: Visa in hand

06/02/2013: POE JFK!!!!!!

5spxll0m6aa.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.