Sign in to follow this  
miker32us

CR-1 Interview possible in the US?

9 posts in this topic

My wife received her K-3 and is already in the US. Last Friday she sent an e-mail to the American Embassy in Taiwan with several questions about compleing the CR-1 there in Taiwan. We asked whether my wife's K-3 medical exam would suffice for the CR-1. We were surprized in their response they said we could ask NVC for an interview in the US. Has anyone heard of this?

I do not think they were confused about AOS. I told them I had already paid NVC for the I-864 Fee Bill and DS-230 Immigration visa paperwork and we were just waiting for NVC. We specifically said we would be coming back to Taiwan for the interview. That is why I am surprized they said to ask NVC about interviewing in the US.

What they are referring to is adjustment of status. Both adjustment of status in the US, and, the CR-1 visa give one the same.......immigrant status.

If you paid the immigrant visa fee and the file has been sent to the consulate... it's basically too late for you... you would regress in both time and money if you decided to pull the I-130 and chose to do AOS in the US...

In your case, it would probably be better to continue with the CR-1 interview in Taiwan..

You can't interview in the US for a CR-1 visa as you dont need a visa when already present in the US. What you do is the adjustment of status process from entry of another visa ie K-3 which gives you the same status as the CR-1 visa will.......immigrant status. That is what they were referring to.

As zyggy states 'better to continue with the CR-1 interview in Taiwan' considering the stage you are up to.

I do not think they were confused about AOS. I told them I had already paid NVC for the I-864 Fee Bill and DS-230 Immigration visa paperwork and we were just waiting for NVC. We specifically said we would be coming back to Taiwan for the interview. That is why I am surprized they said to ask NVC about interviewing in the US.

What they are referring to is adjustment of status. Both adjustment of status in the US, and, the CR-1 visa give one the same.......immigrant status.

You can't interview in the US for a CR-1 visa as you dont need a visa when already present in the US. What you do is the adjustment of status process from entry of another visa ie K-3 which gives you the same status as the CR-1 visa will.......immigrant status. That is what they were referring to.

As zyggy states 'better to continue with the CR-1 interview in Taiwan' considering the stage you are up to.

I have wondered this myself. So you have already paid, and timewise you might as well go back to the consulate and complete the CR1. But the way I see it, although you have already paid you will still need to pay for the flight back, which for some contries will be more expensive than canceling it and doing the AOS in the states. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the benefits.

Any thoughts on this? :huh:

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the benefits.

It's a visit back to see family and relatives too. It provides immediate work authorization without having to wait for AOS.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the benefits.

It's a visit back to see family and relatives too. It provides immediate work authorization without having to wait for AOS.

Of course that makes sense, but on the other hand what if they applicant hates to travel alone and the spouse can't get off work? What if they can't get enough money for the ticket back?

I guess it really is more of a personal choice, depending on your finances and personal situation more than anything. We are going for the CR1, and if it hasn't happened by 10/22 it will be the IR1, so it won't make much difference to me really, just curious.

Thanks for the input.

I guess it really is more of a personal choice, depending on your finances and personal situation more than anything.

Yup.

Local office processing times would be an influincing factor for me. If my DO took a year plus for AOS appointments, I'd consider that in my overall goals and decide.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.