Sign in to follow this  
Bush_rl

Is a lawyer necessary?

26 posts in this topic

Here are my questions:

1) Is is possible to have success in obtaining a K1 visa if I submitt the paperwork? Is a lawyer necessary? Is the $1500- 2000 dollars for a lawyer worth it?

2) Any success stories without a lawyer?

3) Why not use a lawyer in the Philippines to help my wife-to-be?

Ray

Here are my questions:

1) Is is possible to have success in obtaining a K1 visa if I submitt the paperwork? Is a lawyer necessary? Is the $1500- 2000 dollars for a lawyer worth it?

Ray

My opinion.....

1) My Fiancee and I didn't have complicated situations, no criminal records, etc. The documtntation needed to submit for a K1 Visa is pretty straight forward. The cost $170. With the wealth of information for FREE at VisaJourney, I couldn't justify paying a Lawyer at $2000 or more to complete paperwork worth $170.

2) I'm not completely through the process, but the majority of users on this forum did not/are not using a Lawyer. I'm sure they'll be responding later as the sun rises today!

3) The Lawyer doesn't make the process go any faster. The Lawyer only submits the paperwork which is something that you can do.

However, if you are more comfortable with using an Attorney and you have the $$$ to spend, maybe that is the route you should take. I chose to do it myself. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

We didnt use a lawyer because we had a pretty straight forward case (no kids, no previous marriages, no criminal record). Our K-1 process took 102 days from sending the petition to VSC until my Interiew in Frankfurt.

Here are my questions:

Ray

I DIDNT USE A LAWYER BECAUSE I CANT AFFORD ONE TO BE HONEST,BUT I HAVE A CRIMMINAL RECORD AND I JUST FILED EVERYTHING AND FILLED ALL THE BLANKS AND WAS STILL APPROVED NOA2 ON SEPT 13 SO I THINK I LAWYER JUST CHECKS THE BLANKS AND TAKES UR MONEY IN MY OPINION

Here are my questions:

Ray

Hi Ray,

We got our NOA2 without help from a lawyer. We did the research by ourselves. And you will find very important information here from visa journey: VISA FAQ, Guides and Links.

Good luck to your journey and Godspeed!

(F)

Here are my questions:

Ray

This website is more helpful than any lawyer you can ever hire. i bet some lawyers use this site for their clients. hang around this website and you will discover that hiring a lawyer is a waste of money !!! I did not use a lawyer and my case only too 66 days for approval. we are about to do the interview for the visa. Goodluck !!

My husband and I didn't use a lawyer either. We had a pretty straightforward case and even with my previous marriage (I have a child from that marriage too) we were approved in about 7 months.

Of course, whether or not to use a lawyer is YOUR choice. You have to decide which makes you more comfortable with this process: to use a lawyer or not. Good luck. :)

I did not use a lawyer because my case isn't particularly complicated: no criminal history, no divorce, no country with a high risk of visa fraud, no mail-order bride service, no multiple attempts to obtain visas, no overstays.

So we'll see. Many people here haven't used attorneys and have been approved. You can always consult with an attorney for a one-time fee to judge how hard your case is.

Take a look at this thread for more input on this topic

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33674

Most people don't bother with a lawyer - you can easily do it yourself if you feel confident handing the paperwork. Good luck.

We DID use a lawyer - it just gave us peace of mind.

We wont use a lawyer to file for AOS - as it will be much easier to sort the paperwork out when we are together.

It is perfectly possible to file without using a lawyer - looking back now, we could have done it ourselves with some help from this website.

Our petition was very straight-forward so I did it all myself just using the guidelines and samples here on VJ. The members were very helpful with any questions and we had a breeze getting Claudeth here. It took us a little less than 5 months and that included the embassy loosing her German police report for a month.

From my exposure with lawyers in the Philippines the only thing that is going to do for you is empty your pockets. My opinion from my experiences with my chicken farm.

Edited by jasman0717

I am an attorney, and I used an excellent immigration attorney for my CR-1. I didn't have to do it, and probably could have handled the paperwork myself (and will do that for I-751). However, there was someone always there to answer my questions, I had no doubt that all the paperwork was done correctly and someone explained the process to me every step of the way (and I didn't once have to call that stupid service center line). When we got to the interview, it was just a paperwork festival, and not one question was asked. For me, it was worth the money. Plus, if anything had gone wrong, he would have represented me (for free) in the appeal process and etc. Finally, if he screwed up, he'd be responsible to fix it, which if you do it yourself and screw it up, the only thing you can do is screw it up worse trying to fix it, and once you have to get an attorney involved, its going to cost three times as much. This all presupposes the attorney you pick and pay is competent and etc., which in the end, you get what you pay for. Cheap is as cheap does...good luck!!!

Edited by japau

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.